Rejected DC Comics Designs and Show Pitches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Isabella have issues with DC Comics at this time? Or was that settled by the time JL/JLU came out?
Yes, I think their issues were still ongoing at the time even though he did a few more comics in the mid-90s, but by 2009 Black Lightning first started appearing in animation like The Brave and The Bold and the Public Enemies DTV. Then it wasn't until like 2015 or 2017 that he was officially recognized as the sole creator of Black Lightning but the artist was still included as something like "Created by Tony Isabella with Trevor...."

Otaku-sempai

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Isabella have issues with DC Comics at this time? Or was that settled by the time JL/JLU came out?

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
Yes, it goes back to a couple of issues. First, there was Tony Isabella being credited as sole creator of Black Lightning, something that DC reneged on when they started crediting Trevor Von Eeden as co-creator. That was eventually resolved.

The second issue goes back to the Super Friends continuation of 1977. Black Lightning could have appeared on the show but instead Hanna-Barbara went with their own knock-off, Black Vulcan. DC didn't want to pay residuals to Tony, passed the buck to Hanna-Barbara who also didn't want to pay residuals. Hence, Black Vulcan. You can find a recent summary of the situation here.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
That's the same CBR article linked on the previous page, that started this Black Lightning discussion in the first place.

It would have been cool if they managed to include him on JLU, maybe more than just as a cameo or background character. I think that Mandragora mobster in "Double Date" was also based on Tobias Whale, Black Lightning's nemesis. I'm guessing he was changed after BL couldn't be used?

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It would have been cool if they managed to include him on JLU, maybe more than just as a cameo or background character.
Maybe they might do something similar with Black Lightning, Plastic Man, Firestorm etc. and "debut" them on the Justice League Infinity comic like with Blue Beetle.

I think that Mandragora mobster in "Double Date" was also based on Tobias Whale, Black Lightning's nemesis. I'm guessing he was changed after BL couldn't be used?
More an amalgam I think. The name originates from Stefano Mandragora who murdered Helena's parents in the comics (or at least a part of the gang that did) and the look definitely seems to be based on Tobias.

Frontier

Staff member
Maybe they might do something similar with Black Lightning, Plastic Man, Firestorm etc. and "debut" them on the Justice League Infinity comic like with Blue Beetle.
I think Firestorm and Black Lightning, like Blue Beetle, appeared in the JLU tie-in comic :).

(I don't think Plas did).

Otaku-sempai

That's the same CBR article linked on the previous page, that started this Black Lightning discussion in the first place.

It would have been cool if they managed to include him on JLU, maybe more than just as a cameo or background character. I think that Mandragora mobster in "Double Date" was also based on Tobias Whale, Black Lightning's nemesis. I'm guessing he was changed after BL couldn't be used?
I suspected as much, however the article does summarize the history of Isabella's issues with DC Comics.

the greenman

I was always suspicious about that myself, figured that was a loose easter egg of McDuffie invention.

More an amalgam I think. The name originates from Stefano Mandragora who murdered Helena's parents in the comics (or at least a part of the gang that did) and the look definitely seems to be based on Tobias.
Agreed, figured that was something of a tease to fans.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
So they were shopping around for a new Batman cartoon back in 2019...judging by the designs it seems like they were going for a stylized, "modern" design which is an interesting contrast to how retro Caped Crusader feels.

Hey, at least it goes to show that not every Batman pitch goes through compared to other DC properties :p.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Looks pretty cool, I especially like that black and purple color scheme.

Something about all those lines on the costume kind of reminds me of the designs from Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes.
fantastic-four-worlds-greatest-heroes-d5a93c0c-4295-48c8-9ddf-e8a9e7d3e7d-resize-750.jpeg

Frontier

Staff member
Looks pretty cool, I especially like that black and purple color scheme.

Something about all those lines on the costume kind of reminds me of the designs from Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes.
fantastic-four-worlds-greatest-heroes-d5a93c0c-4295-48c8-9ddf-e8a9e7d3e7d-resize-750.jpeg
Da da daaaaaa :p....

(That was the show's theme song, in case anyone was wondering).

Seems like Anka was basing at least some of them off the New 52/Rebirth Batsuit.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Frontier

Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts