"Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

SweetShop209

Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? really did not catch on in the way Mystery Inc did. Maybe this is one of the more forgettable cartoons people are not really interested in watching.
There are probably a few factors at play, and it's not just poor scheduling and erratic release dates. This is all just theoretical though.

1. There is a vocal minority from those who feel the show tries too hard to capture the style of the original Scooby Doo cartoons, both in art style and general structure.

2. This was released in 2019, the franchise's 50th anniversary, which also saw the release of Scooby Doo And The Curse Of The 13th Ghost and Scooby Doo: Return To Zombie Island, both of which were heavily divisive due to following up projects about real supernatural monsters creatures, and basically saying they were fake. There were people who probably thought it would be sub par and didn't watch to watch as a result.

Frontier

Staff member
Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? really did not catch on in the way Mystery Inc did. Maybe this is one of the more forgettable cartoons people are not really interested in watching.
How so? I mean, it's kind of a niche premise with the guest stars, and CN has kind of aired it haphazardly, but I don't think it was trying to be the next Mystery Inc.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I think Be Cool Scooby-Doo kind of tried a more over-arching story similar to Mystery Inc. as opposed to this show, but Be Cool appears to be even more forgettable to some fans (mostly due to the "unique" designs, I guess).

So, on another note, while Guess Who? hasn't finished airing we do know the remainder of guest-stars they got, but who else would you have liked to see on the show? More DC Comics characters? Hanna-Barbera cartoon stars? Older celebrities kids today might not know who they are? Some of today's new stars I never heard of? :p

Frontier

Staff member
I think Be Cool Scooby-Doo kind of tried a more over-arching story similar to Mystery Inc. as opposed to this show, but Be Cool appears to be even more forgettable to some fans (mostly due to the "unique" designs, I guess).

So, on another note, while Guess Who? hasn't finished airing we do know the remainder of guest-stars they got, but who else would you have liked to see on the show? More DC Comics characters? Hanna-Barbera cartoon stars? Older celebrities kids today might not know who they are? Some of today's new stars I never heard of? :p
More DC and Hanna-Barbera characters for sure, but admittedly I'm more a fan of them than I am of real life celebrities :p.

I feel like we should've gotten a Jason J. Lewis Superman episode...

Jonwo

A CGI Scooby series probably would be the most logical follow up after a retro series like Guess Who? Surprised at WB has never considered it but perhaps after other CGI attempts like Green Lantern and Beware the Batman, they're reluctant given it costs a lot more to produce.
How so? I mean, it's kind of a niche premise with the guest stars, and CN has kind of aired it haphazardly, but I don't think it was trying to be the next Mystery Inc.
I like Mystery Incorporated but it's not the be all and end all of the Scooby franchise and I wish people would stop using it as a benchmark.

SweetShop209

1. A CGI Scooby series probably would be the most logical follow up after a retro series like Guess Who? Surprised at WB has never considered it but perhaps after other CGI attempts like Green Lantern and Beware the Batman, they're reluctant given it costs a lot more to produce.

2. I like Mystery Incorporated but it's not the be all and end all of the Scooby franchise and I wish people would stop using it as a benchmark.
1. I'd also say it's because, while there are non-preschool CGI shows, they're still mainly made for preschool audiences. Outside of something like Star Wars and DreamWorks, it's still mainly used for younger audiences.

2. I'm guessing people often put Mystery Incorporated on a high pedestal because of the darker and more mature tone and overarching story compared to other Scooby Doo projects. It kind of says something when most people would think that Scooby Doo On Zombie Island would get similar praise for similar reasons, and is the only other Scooby project to be seen in this light.

On another note, does anyone know think that after the show wraps up, it could be put on HBO Max? I'm assuming contractual stuff are why it's still on Boomerang (mainly in that the show was conceived for the Boomerang streaming service and would this have to release episodes either there or the Boomerang channel first) .

powerjake

Banned

People would always compare Be Cool Scooby-Doo's art with Family Guy. It's one cartoon fans don't like talking about.

Would Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? be remembered 10 years from now?.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The New Scooby Movies have been around for like 48 years so it stands to reason there are more fans of that compared to Guess Who which premiered only 2 years ago. People grew up with the former, either during its original run or through re-runs (even prior to the Cartoon Network I suppose). It's not really that fair of a comparison.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I don't think a Guess Who? movie would be that much different from the recent Scooby DTVs, with guest-stars like Bobby Flay, Bill Nye the Science Guy or Elvira, or cross-overs with Batman: The Brave & the Bold and Courage the Cowardly Dog.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Let's please not get too much off-topic here by discussing Tom & Jerry. There are other places you could express your opinion how boring you find them, though don't expect everyone else to feel the same way.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts