Scrapped Marvel Films and TV Shows

AdrenalineRush1996

Given that there is a similar thread on Marvel Animation, I just thought it would be best for me to start something like that for live-action.

Before Sony decided to reboot Spider-Man with The Amazing Spider-Man, there were plans to do a fourth Raimiverse Spider-Man film set for a May 2011 release after the box-office success of Spider-Man 3 and would've had Anne Hathaway playing Felicia Hardy (hilarious in hindsight as she would play Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises) along with starting a second trilogy.

Last edited:

Jean74

Ready for 2022
Yeah as made you wonder if the third film lukewarm reviews there could had killed it off as it would had been interesting for a fourth movie. But sadly we will never get to see that and maybe it is good.

AdrenalineRush1996

Yeah as made you wonder if the third film lukewarm reviews there could had killed it off as it would had been interesting for a fourth movie. But sadly we will never get to see that and maybe it is good.
The closest to such in my opinion would be Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse along with that Jake Johnson's Peter Parker was originally intended for Tobey Maguire.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Spidey 4 was scrapped because Sam Raimi took too long, so they just rebooted.
It really was the most amicable and undramatic of breakups: It was simply that we had a deadline and I couldn’t get the story to work on a level that I wanted it to work. I was very unhappy with Spider-Man 3, and I wanted to make Spider-Man 4 to end on a very high note, the best Spider-Man of them all. But I couldn’t get the script together in time, due to my own failings, and I said to Sony, ‘I don’t want to make a movie that is less than great, so I think we shouldn’t make this picture. Go ahead with your reboot, which you’ve been planning anyway.’

AdrenalineRush1996

Freddy

Ben Carruthers and Angela Bowie (late David Bowie's ex-wife) were going star in Daredevil/Black Widow tv-show back in the 70's. They didn't get further than shooting some test photos.

And of course, the plan was also for Daredevil and Thor (played by Rex Smith and Eric Kramer respectively) from the first two Bill Bixby's Hulk tv-movies to get their own spin-off shows, but those plans never went anywhere either.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
There was an earlier attempt at doing a Fantastic Four back in the early Nineties and was never released with the reason being that it was only made in order for Constantin Film to retain the film rights.

Here's the Business Insider article on the Roger Corman produced film.
Technically the movie wasn't entirely scrapped: it still got made and can be easily found online. I've never seen it personally, but I've heard more than one person say they prefer it to the 20th Century Fox movies. I remember picking up a back issue comic book from the 90s that had a section on the FF movie and trust me when I say that I was baffled that I had never heard of it. This was printed before the release was canceled, and featured interviews with the cast.

There have also been many scrapped Spider-Man movies over the years. This site has a rundown, but Cannon tried to make a movie for years before James Cameron made his infamous attempt. In fact, at one point Cannon got far enough in development on a Spider-Man movie in the 80s to actually release a teaser.

Incidentally, Cameron was the one who originally came up with the organic web-shooters that made it into the Tobey Maguire movies and the comics for a while.

the greenman

Technically the movie wasn't entirely scrapped: it still got made and can be easily found online. I've never seen it personally, but I've heard more than one person say they prefer it to the 20th Century Fox movies. I remember picking up a back issue comic book from the 90s that had a section on the FF movie and trust me when I say that I was baffled that I had never heard of it. This was printed before the release was canceled, and featured interviews with the cast.

There have also been many scrapped Spider-Man movies over the years. This site has a rundown, but Cannon tried to make a movie for years before James Cameron made his infamous attempt. In fact, at one point Cannon got far enough in development on a Spider-Man movie in the 80s to actually release a teaser.

Incidentally, Cameron was the one who originally came up with the organic web-shooters that made it into the Tobey Maguire movies and the comics for a while.
The major problems with the FF and X-men were sticking to the old formulaic tropes of:

Origin
Arch-nemesis
Love interest

I believe after doing this so long, Feige may have recently realized that by obviously slightly altering both Iron Man and then Black Panther. This was done to a point of now not serving the characters anymore, but now the universe.

Edit: btw, I watched the doc a year or so ago on the film. It was on Tubi:

Doomed!: The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spideyzilla

Staff member
The major problems with the FF and X-men were sticking to the old formulaic tropes of:

Origin
Arch-nemesis
Love interest

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
I tell you... I personally cannot stand any of the Fantastic Four movies from Fox. The first two, as you said, play it far too safe and leave little that's interesting to me. The casting is not terrible on paper, and yet for me the performances are fairly flat. The big problem? The villains. What those movies did with Doom and Galactus is beyond inexcusable. Giving Doom electrical powers and making him just another big bad they can get in a generic big final act battle? No. No no no.

The Josh Trank one though? Might be my least favourite comic book movie of all time. I'm serious. Movies like Batman and Robin and Superman IV might be "worse," but they're at least entertaining in their badness. Fant4stic? There is absolutely no reason to ever watch it. It's one of few times in a movie theatre where I felt like I was completely wasting my time.

AdrenalineRush1996

10/02: There were plans for a Hulk TV series on ABC helmed by Guillermo del Toro and would've been set in the MCU, so basically a TV series sequel to The Incredible Hulk before it was put on indefinite hold in favour of Agents of SHIELD.

10/03: There were plans for a Moon Knight TV series back in 2006, which never materialised.
Technically the movie wasn't entirely scrapped: it still got made and can be easily found online.
Well, I never said it was never made. Just never officially released as in it was made but never got an official release.

Mod Note: Double post merged, use the edit button instead of posting twice or more in a row.

10/20
: Carol Danvers was going to be a series regular in Jessica Jones when it was originally in development under ABC but when the show moved networks to Netflix along with Marvel opting to do Captain Marvel, the character's intended role in the show was replaced by Trish Walker in the final product.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The Cuphead trailer looks absolutely superb. Now all we need is an update on the Bone animated series.
Finishing up Metroid Dread by acquiring everything only to be disappointed when the last energy tank and missile you needed an Amiibo.
Today's my birthday! :D
Can't wait for the party this weekend!
Microsoft just bought Activision/Blizzard for $68 billion. And people thought the Bethesda deal was huge? Mind. Blown.
I wonder what if Viacom responsed to turner buying Hanna barbera by buying Fred wolf films (meant they would own the 1987 tmnt cartoon) in 1992 or 1993 and they later buy the tmnt ip as well as mirage studios in in the mid-late 90s or early-mid 2000s instead of 2009

Featured Posts