Should Warner Bros make animation projects based on Vertigo comics?

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Should Warner Bros make animation projects based on Vertigo comics? There are a lot of interesting Vertigo titles: Sandman, Fables, Preacher, etc.

Some these are being made into live action adaptations, but is there any Vertigo title you want to see in animation?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yes, solely based on the DC Showcase Death and it was one of the most amazing things I've seen in years. But within reason, I'm sure some of that stuff pushes the R rating.

the greenman

Well they did do the Shade DC Nation shorts. 2 of them right? Anyway that was a slight start.

Yes, they could be doing some straight DTV's based on some IP. Be a hard sell for the studio I bet.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Well they did do the Shade DC Nation shorts. 2 of them right? Anyway that was a slight start.

Yes, they could be doing some straight DTV's based on some IP. Be a hard sell for the studio I bet.

It may be easier with stuff like Invincible and Castlevania exceeding on Streaming.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
An animated Lucifer. In which case I would want Mark Pelligrino to voice the title character.

Otaku-sempai

Should Warner Bros make animation projects based on Vertigo comics? There are a lot of interesting Vertigo titles: Sandman, Fables, Preacher, etc.

Some these are being made into live action adaptations, but is there any Vertigo title you want to see in animation?
Well, the precedent has already been set with the "Death" Showcase short, as well as animated movies for John Constantine and Justice League Dark. One issue might include a reluctance to have to pay out to content creators. DC has a spotty history on the subject. But I would love to see animated adaptations of Sandman Mystery Theatre, Jonah Hex: Two-Gun Mojo, etc.

the greenman

Well, the precedent has already been set with the "Death" Showcase short, as well as animated movies for John Constantine and Justice League Dark. One issue might include a reluctance to have to pay out to content creators. DC has a spotty history on the subject. But I would love to see animated adaptations of Sandman Mystery Theatre, Jonah Hex: Two-Gun Mojo, etc.

Well, I think that's industry wide. With the exception of guys like Kane (and recently Finger) Lee & Kirby and a few others. The industry simply doesn't deal too well with the creators.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Well, I think that's industry wide. With the exception of guys like Kane (and recently Finger) Lee & Kirby and a few others. The industry simply doesn't deal too well with the creators.

But Vertigo comics were more creator owned than regular DC or Marvel.

I am pretty sure Garth Ennis owns the rights to Preacher, not DC. It's part of the reason DC shut down Vertigo, now you have to go to Image to have creator owned content.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Definitely, it's no question for me. Vertigo had a great library of stories that I think are ripe for adapting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Otaku-sempai

But Vertigo comics were more creator owned than regular DC or Marvel.

I am pretty sure Garth Ennis owns the rights to Preacher, not DC. It's part of the reason DC shut down Vertigo, now you have to go to Image to have creator owned content.
Well, to Image, Dark Horse and other independent and small press publishers.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts