Shows during your childhood you were originally unaware of...

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Could be the show if not being on cable didn't air on the networks in your part if the world or just like many kids at the time, not being able to have free reign of the TV at the time.

Born in 82, so with that in mind.

1. Jem and the Hologram, as well as She-Ra: Definitely caught various girl aimed toons at the time like MLP, Barbie, Rainbow Brite and so on.

Also kept up with He-Man, but the shows of interest? Never even saw a commercial or heard other kids mention them. Found out about both through forums mentioning them and early internet reviews near the end of the 2000s.

2. Non of Marvel's in house shows of the 80s. First time I saw a Marvel Production at least was Comic Book Capers from Muppet Babies which had some designs from Spider-Man 1981 and Amazing Friends, plus music.

And yeah didn't know him at the time, that was my first exposure to Stan Lee.

Saw Amazing Friends for the first time due to buying the VHS of The X-Men Adventures episode at a K Mart.

Rented Pryde of the X-Men several times. Besides seeing Amazing Friends more on UPN and ABC Family, plus Toon Disney, saw the Solo Spider-Man episodes and some of The Incredible Hulk 1982 episodes on various VHS tapes via rental or purchase.

Plus the Hulk episode Prisoner of the Monster aired on ABC Family when they were trying to cash in on the hype of Hulk 2003.

So any cartoons from the time of your childhood that you ironically got into later?

Zorak Masaki

I wasnt aware of the following cartoons in the 80s and didnt know of their existence until the 2000s:
Ring Raiders
Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs
Mighty Orbots
Spiral Zone
Also, I wasnt able to regularly watch most of the syndicated cartoon fare (ie, Transformers, GI Joe, COPS, M.A.S.K.) of that era either since it rarely aired on my tv stations (the only ones that aired in my area were He-Man, Super Saturday (Inhumanoids, Jem, Bigfoot packaged together in serial format) She-Ra, Gobots, Bionic Six, Dinosaucers, and much later, the New Yogi Bear Show, and the Super Mario Bros. Super Show), but I did watch certain episodes when I stayed with relatives who did get the stations which aired those shows and rented some of the vhs tapes, but I never saw them regularly until cable reruns or the internet

Last edited:

Cave-Cat-87

Due to the fact that I was born in 1987, one cartoon that I was not aware of until a few years back was the Garbage Pail Kids cartoon. And there's actually a reason why I was never aware of that one; the cartoon was supposed to air as a part of CBS's Saturday Morning lineup back then, but it ended up getting pulled off the schedule due to complaints from parents groups.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Sonic The Hedgehog. I did not know SatAM existed until 2008 or something while I was watching Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog everyday as I got ready for school. This probably had to do with not really watching cartoons on Saturdays when I was a kid. Then I was such a big Fox Kids and Syndication watcher that I didn't really know what aired on ABC or CBS on Saturdays. I didn't know about Skeleton Warriors or the second Conan cartoon in the 90s. I only knew WildCATs was on because of the toy commercials.

I can't think of too many others that slipped by me at the moment.

Dr.Pepper

I second Sonic SatAM. I definitely watched The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but I had no idea that there was another Sonic series on at the same time. I do remember having a book based on the SatAM version, and I was confused on why everyone but Sonic and Tails looked different and who the new characters were, but I never really gave it a ton of thought.

Raw Toonage was another show I had no idea that it existed until I saw it on Toon Disney in the early 2000’s. I did watch Marsupilami on Disney when I was little. For the longest time, I thought that maybe I did see Raw Toonage and because Marsupilami was the standout character in my mind, and that’s what my parents referred to what I was watching, my memories just referred to it as “Marsupilami”. I say this because I know for a fact I saw the Scrooge hosted segments and some of the totally tasteless videos as a young child. It was only in the past few months I learned that Disney simply removed the Bonkers shorts from Raw Toonage and packaged everything else together.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts