Sinclair To Launch 'KidsClick' Multiplatform Programming Block For Children

aegisrawks

Will air Weekdays from 6:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.

And Weekends 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. ET/PT

SOURCE LINK:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...programming-block-for-children-300449572.html

BALTIMORE, Md., May 2, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: SBGI) announces its newest entry into the content arena with 'KidsClick,' a national multiplatform programming block geared for children. KidsClick, which launches Saturday, July 1, 2017 and airs daily, will feature robust and age-appropriate content available on all screens, including broadcast television, online, pay TV, mobile and over-the-top (OTT). KidsClick initially will be available in more than 75 million broadcast TV homes through many Sinclair-owned and operated stations and on national network partner, ThisTV.

"The broadcast industry was the original destination for children's programming, and we are very excited to once again play a meaningful role in offering such important, high-quality content," said Steve Marks, EVP & Chief Operating Office of Sinclair's television group. "Our decision to re-enter the kids' space with KidsClick is a natural step for Sinclair as we expand our reach to the next generation of broadcast viewers. More importantly, our KidsClick's platform offers parents an option for high-quality, well-known, carefully vetted content and brands."

"ThisTV is thrilled to be a broadcast partner for Sinclair's new children's block, KidsClick," said John Bryan, President, Domestic Television Distribution, MGM. "As ThisTV continues to evolve, KidsClick gives our audience more choices with established brands and introduces them to some exciting new children's programming."

KidsClick will air Monday through Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. ET/PT on Saturday and Sundays.

This summer, KidsClick also will be available online (desktop and mobile), via tablet and smartphone apps and games, and via OTT platforms like Roku, in addition to broadcast television. The content will consist of an ever-growing list of long- and short-form video content that is appropriate for kids and advertisers, with an industry-exclusive hyper-local advertising/promotional component through Sinclair's 170+ station websites as well as ThisTV's website.

About Sinclair
Sinclair is one of the largest and most diversified television broadcasting companies in the country. Pro forma for all pending transactions, the Company will own, operate and/or provide services to 191 television stations in 89 markets, broadcasting 551 channels. The Company has multiple emerging networks as well as being affiliated with all the major networks. Sinclair is a leading local news provider in the country and a producer of live sports content. Sinclair's content is delivered via multiple-platforms, including over-the-air, multi-channel video program distributors, and digital platforms. The Company regularly uses its website as a key source of Company information which can be accessed at www.sbgi.net.

About THISTVTHIS TV launched nationally in November 2008 and is the premiere multicast programming service dedicated to movies in the country. THIS TV has nearly 150 affiliates and is in 85% of the U.S. market reaching approximately 97 million households. In addition to MGM films, THIS TV affiliates carry a block of programming dedicated to children's viewing. Many THIS TV affiliates carry rebroadcasts of local news programming and local or regional sporting events.

SOURCE Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.

I wish them luck! I cant wait to see the line up. Hopefully the E/I fodder will air on Weekdays while the more meaty stuff airs on weekends!

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
With those broadcast partners, I'm not confident this will be something worth caring about.

Sunnydee

With those broadcast partners, I'm not confident this will be something worth caring about.
Yeah, its not exactly like they have a huge library of shows to choose from. All I can think of is that MGM has The Pink Panther show from the 90s and the Stargate Infinity animated series that they can air.

I'm kinda afraid that they're looking at Litton's model and thinking that they can replicate that by getting a bunch of nature shows. I wouldn't really be interested in that. They didn't say anything about cartoons or animation in the press release.

The article says that there will be well known and established brands. I can't really imagine what those could be.

But yeah, I'm leaning towards this being a Litton clone. I'd be happily surprised if they aired cartoons though!

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
They publish a press release for a new block and don't mention any shows they'll be airing. I'm raising the red flag already.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I am kind of skeptical about this. They launch a new block but they don't mention any shows. Before I opened the thread, I felt like I was saying "another one of those Litton blocks with educational programming?". Only time will tell.

Mandouga

Well, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it will be Litton and the Xploration series all over again. Maybe it will be something different. Let's not assume anything just yet (that said, I am hoping it will be "something different").

jaylop97

Staff member
Knowing that it will air 7 days a week 3 hours daily they really do need to have some variety in their programs. Knowing most of these blocks only run specifically Saturdays those have it easier while this one is going to need a little more on that regard.

Sunnydee

Hopefully the fact that it'll air for 3 hours everyday means that everything won't be E/I like Litton, since they only need 3 hours a week for that.

I can't picture what "well known" and "established" brands they'll have though. If they did show cartoons, what would be good shows for them to air?

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Well, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it will be Litton and the Xploration series all over again. Maybe it will be something different. Let's not assume anything just yet (that said, I am hoping it will be "something different").

ThisTV's "children's" programming currently consists of Litton-level edutainment on Sundays. In the past, they ran a Cookie Jar library block. Hopefully, the fact that they plan on running weekdays implies they're confident they've got content worth watching.

However, it's May and the block premieres in July. The lack of any programming attached is questionable. Looking around, it seems they're still hiring people to create the block's look and sell ads ... Even if I'm being optimistic, the most I'd hope for is second run stuff that's already run on cable. Kind of dreading it turning out to be preschool toddler stuff lol. Given Sinclair runs TBD, a network that just recycles web content, there's also potential for that.

BTW, if Sinclair/ThisTV isn't in your market, it might be soon. Seems Sinclair will buy Tribune Media.

Sunnydee

A quote from their earnings call gives me some hope that they might at least be trying to get into the right ballpark with this block. The businesses that they mention as wanting to be in the same marketplace as are Nick and Cartoon Network and Disney. They don't mention Litton at all.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-transcript-sbgi-earnings-conference-234615387.html said:
Yesterday, we came out with an announcement about getting back into the kids business. That's a billion-dollar-plus spot business that we don't get $0.10 from. So again, it's an illustration of going back into the marketplace and fishing in ponds that we haven't fished in. So that's $1 billion that is pretty much split between 2 cable networks: Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network. Disney is a subscription network.

18 years ago, we were the kings of reaching kids every day. There's no reason in the world why we can't be successful in that space. So again, it demonstrates that we have a vision, and we want to fish where other people are not fishing. These are 100% orders. When we get dollar one on the kids business, that's 100% to our bottom line. Nobody else is getting that. We're not competing with anybody else in terms of local broadcasters. Those are dollars right to the bottom line, and they're 100% shares.

hobbyfan

FWIW, Spectrum Cable in upstate NY swapped out This-TV for TBD, and picked up another Sinclair channel, Charge TV, recently. Spectrum has since picked up Antenna TV and Heroes & Icons, the latter home to the animated Star Trek (1973-5), which presently is their only animated entry.

hobbyfan

Right now, I have Dusty Springfield's "Wishing & Hoping" playing in my head, if but because that reflects the general consensus' mentality in regards to this news. We don't know exactly what will constitute Kids' Click's lineup until it's made official. Let's be patient and wait it out.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts