So, Now what does the new era of Warner Bros. Discovery Kids, Family, Young Adults and Classics hold?

Otakuninja2006

So, Now that the merger between WarnerMedia and Discovery Inc. is complete, what does the new era of Warner Bros. Discovery hold for the Warner Bros. Discovery Kids, Family, Young Adult and Classics division?

The big obvious question now that WarnerMedia and Discovery Inc. has completely officially merged:

What does the future hold for the WBD. KFYA&C division(Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Williams Street/Adult Swim/Toonami, Cartoonito, Warner Bros. Animation, Cartoon Network Studios, Hanna-Barbera Europe, etc.)?

This is a question that needs to be asked right now.

Explain your thoughts.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
There are already a couple of threads about this in other forums. Viz:

Future of Discovery Family? | Anime Superhero Forum

AT&T unloads WarnerMedia to Discovery Networks | Page 27 | Anime Superhero Forum

Do you think Netflix can take over Discovery Family after Hasbro's partnership ends? | Anime Superhero Forum

But since you asked, I don't see Cartoon Network, Cartoonito or [adult swim] undergoing any major changes. (Boomerang is a gray area; we'll have to wait and see what happens with that.) It looks like Discovery is going to stick to their reality, lifestyle and documentary content and leave the kid-vid to Warner Bros. Discovery hasn't had any involvement with children's programming since The Hub folded; yeah, there was Discovery Family, but that had no original programs outside of the Hasbro leftovers, and with Hasbro divesting their stake and partnering up with E-One, those shows aren't likely to turn up on any of the Warner Bros. channels; when Hasbro splits, they'll be taking their shows with them. WBD would likely have to negotiate with Hasbro to air My Little Pony, Littlest Pet Shop and the like, but that doesn't seem like something they need or want to do since Discovery now has the entire WB library at their disposal.

I don't see any of the former Discovery Kids shows coming to CN or HBO Max either. Discovery seems to regard DK as a failed experiment that they have no desire to revisit or repeat. Discovery Kids shows could have been airing on The Hub or Discovery Family if Discovery wanted, but they clearly don't. The only DK show Discovery actually owns is Kenny the Shark anyway.

Last edited:

Otakuninja2006

I already know. And hello, I've actually seen some of your posts, like the ones where you said you wanted to buy Cartoon Network and G4 from Turner and Comcast respectivedly, I have also read your blog. Nice to meet you.
But since you asked, I don't see Cartoon Network, Cartoonito or [adult swim] undergoing any major changes.
Well, Adult Swim should be cut a hour or two. Cartoon Network NEEDS more variety, and Cartoonito could stand to expand a little.
(Boomerang is a gray area; we'll have to wait and see what happens with that.) It looks like Discovery is going to stick to their reality, lifestyle and documentary content and leave the kid-vid to Warner Bros. Discovery hasn't had any involvement with children's programming since The Hub folded; yeah, there was Discovery Family, but that had no original programs outside of the Hasbro leftovers, and with Hasbro divesting their stake and partnering up with E-One, those shows aren't likely to turn up on any of the Warner Bros. channels; when Hasbro splits, they'll be taking their shows with them. WBD would likely have to negotiate with Hasbro to air My Little Pony, Littlest Pet Shop and the like, but that doesn't seem like something they need or want to do since Discovery now has the entire WB library at their disposal.

I don't see any of the former Discovery Kids shows coming to CN or HBO Max either. Discovery seems to regard DK as a failed experiment that they have no desire to revisit or repeat. Discovery Kids shows could have been airing on The Hub or Discovery Family if Discovery wanted, but they clearly don't. The only DK show Discovery actually owns is Kenny the Shark anyway.
I can actually agree with you. And the fact that Kenny The Shark is the only show they truly own is very sad.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Hello, I've actually seen some of your posts, like the ones where you said you wanted to buy Cartoon Network and G4 from Turner and Comcast respectivedly, I have also read your blog. Nice to meet you.
Howdy-Cowboy-by-Studio-26-Design-Co-1-580x387.jpg

Nice to meet you, too. Welcome to the forums!
Well, Adult Swim should be cut a hour or two. Cartoon Network NEEDS more variety, and Cartoonito could stand to expand a little.

Regarding [adult swim], if it were my call to make I'd have it start at 10 or 11PM, 9PM at the earliest, but seeing as how [as] earns the network among its' biggest ratings, The Powers That Be aren't likely to change that unfortunately.

As for Cartoonito, it's funny: a lot of folks here feel the opposite: that Cartoonito takes up too many hours on CN's schedule. I'm personally OK with Cartoonito's length, since I'm not a parent nor do I live with any preschoolers, and it's not like CN was doing anything of note with those hours, going back to the original point.
I can actually agree with you. And the fact that Kenny The Shark is the only show they truly own is very sad.
It just shows how generally lax Discovery has been about children's programming. I think they might own Doki, but if that show were to surface anywhere, it'd be on Cartoonito.

R Lopez

Regarding [adult swim], if it were my call to make I'd have it start at 10 or 11PM, 9PM at the earliest, but seeing as how [as] earns the network among its' biggest ratings, The Powers That Be aren't likely to change that unfortunately.
Yep. Adult Swim earned the prime-time hours by performing better than Cartoon Network. It's simple as that.

Cartoon Network NEEDS more variety,
You know who disagrees with this? The people that program Cartoon Network. For the last 5-6 years, the channel has been heavy on Gumball and Teen Titans Go, with only a handful of other shows on deck at any given time. They love this structure. I'm not totally sure why.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
They actually might not be against putting Kenny the Shark on HBO Max. I just checked and it’s on the Discovery Family Go app. I doubt it will air on CN though, except maybe as part of a stunt to attract HBO Max subscribers.

Otakuninja2006

View attachment 295759

Nice to meet you, too. Welcome to the forums!
Thanks.
Yeah. I'd actually just start it at 9.
As for Cartoonito, it's funny: a lot of folks here feel the opposite: that Cartoonito takes up too many hours on CN's schedule. I'm personally OK with Cartoonito's length, since I'm not a parent nor do I live with any preschoolers, and it's not like CN was doing anything of note with those hours, going back to the original point.

It just shows how generally lax Discovery has been about children's programming. I think they might own Doki, but if that show were to surface anywhere, it'd be on Cartoonito.
Yeah.
Yep. Adult Swim earned the prime-time hours by performing better than Cartoon Network. It's simple as that.
Yep. And it's also lead to CN being in the sad current state it's in now.
You know who disagrees with this? The people that program Cartoon Network. For the last 5-6 years, the channel has been heavy on Gumball and Teen Titans Go, with only a handful of other shows on deck at any given time. They love this structure. I'm not totally sure why.
Same with me.
They actually might not be against putting Kenny the Shark on HBO Max. I just checked and it’s on the Discovery Family Go app. I doubt it will air on CN though, except maybe as part of a stunt to attract HBO Max subscribers.
Yeah.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Maybe it could air via a Shark Week type of event.

Moe

Yeah, WB cares about money and they expanded the Adult Swim hour because of higher rating than CN, that what my friend told me years ago before I came here.

If you want to cut or eliminate Adult Swim hour, so your option would ask the Congress to legislate the bill or revise Children's Television Act (CTA) to ban on contents greater than TV-PG and PG to air on channels that is designated for children, including Disney Channel, Nick, CN, Boomerang, Nicktoons, Disney XD. This could force WB to move the Adult Swim to TruTV or TBS, so CN's night schedule likely to replace with re-run of CN shows like TTG all night, so it is still no better, anyway. It may not affect Nick nor Disney because they don't air shows greater than TV-PG. All of Nick@Nite shows are TV-PG or less.

But it isn't without complication, there could be constitutional issue that led the court system, up to US Supreme Court to strike down as unconstitutional. Networks could close the children's channels to not compel with new law, or WB could turn air off from 8 pm to 6 am.

Most kids prefer to watch on tablet and streaming services, so it is reason about rating for children's channels declining.

I don't think that new laws or revise CTA is going to happen, so most representatives believe that market will take care of it.

FXX (Adult Swim's competitor) put infomercial from 4 am to 7 am EST.

Yes unfortunately. CN isn't only one like this.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I don't expect Cartoon Network to get a major change at this point since it's too early to tell, given the addition of ACME Night and Cartoonito a few months ago.

Moe

I do think that Adult Swim will stay at 8 pm, or 7 pm in central time zone.

WB is all about money.

Markus Nelis

It's funny that people wanted the change, they got it. Yet they still complain. Schedules are actually better than they were in 2020. This week isn't good but it has had a good schedule usually. There are also changes every week now, not the same auto-pilot one.

As long as this Discovery thing goes, I don't think they will control it much and let WB control it since they actually know how to handle cartoons unlike Discovery execs. So pretty much no changes to the kids TV and HBO Max animated side, I'm sure.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts