"Sonic the Hedgehog 2" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this movie

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 20.0%

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Welcome to the next level.

sonic-the-hedgehog-2.jpg

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Theatrical Release: April 8, 2022
Rated PG for action, some violence, rude humor and mild language.
Directed By: Jeff Fowler
Written By: Patrick Casey, Josh Miller, and John Whittington
Cast: James Marsden, Ben Schwartz, Tika Sumpter, Natasha Rothwell, Adam Pally, Jim Carrey, Shemar Moore, Idris Elba, and Colleen O'Shaughnessey

After settling in Green Hills, Sonic is eager to prove he has what it takes to be a true hero. His test comes when Dr. Robotnik returns, this time with a new partner, Knuckles, in search for an emerald that has the power to destroy civilizations. Sonic teams up with his own sidekick, Tails, and together they embark on a globe-trotting journey to find the emerald before it falls into the wrong hands.

Discuss Sonic the Hedgehog 2 right here!

Related Threads:

-Sonic the Hedgehog Talkback (Spoilers)
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2 News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Well *cracks knuckles* here's my long spoiley rambling review!

It is weird to think how it's not only been over two years since the last movie has come out but how much has changed since then but... probably shouldn't get into that. The point is for uh reasons not worth getting into now, Sonic the Hedgehog was the last major movie of 2020 to become a success and remained the last theatrical successful film for over a year. Which yeah even ignoring the you know what is impressive considering how this movie seemed doom to failure from it's original campaign. But the designs were corrected allowing people to give the movie a chance and actually find it had a lot of charm and heart to it, hopefully a stupid executive working at Paramount was sacked because they thought that the Sonic design that looked more realistic "cause that worked in transformers" would have been a good fit and their millions deserve to really be the artists who worked on the thing, and the team was able to come together honestly quite quickly for another film. I know two years for a lot of sequels especially for kids movies is kind of a standard turn around period but it seems like in this specific period of the world that is incredibly quick. Then again I guess there was no real drama going on and it's clear from the first movie Jeff Fowler and his team did have an idea of where to take the series and not like there weren't a lot of angles they could explore using all of the Sonic lore. This is honestly a movie I have been imagining how it would play out for the last couple of years so now that it is finally out I am glad to say it did live up to most of my expectations and is a solid enjoyable movie with good comedy, good character moments and yeah is faithful to Sonic lore... I guess there are a few minor issues that nag at me that I do want to complain about some before listing all the things that work about the movie.

I'm not going to list the fact that a lot of the mythos and explanations of like the entire plot set up feels like it's either missing a fair amount of pieces or it feels like chunks of the story were skipped because I know there's a Knuckles series coming, so I have a feeling a fair amount will be solved with that Like who were those people first traveling with Knuckles in the Mushroom planet or who killed the echidnas because we know the Echidna tribe killed Longclaw but Knuckles said his father and others were slain in this event and he's not someone who would lie so obviously something happened to the Echidnas. Also were the Ecidnas just the original villains? Like I don't have a problem with the idea of the Echidnas having created the chaos emeralds that make the master emerald and one ruling over them absorbing the full power that's totally a thing that makes sense within a lot of variations of the Sonic canon but it did seem like if they were just the aggressors why would Knuckles be all about honor and about safe guarding the jewel if he came from a group who just was about consuming power? I mean I remember thinking "well if we do get Knuckles family or clan they'll be the villains and he'll somehow just be the good egg" but that didn't seem the be the case so what is the story exactly there? Also Longclaw apparently adopted Sonic to train him to be a guardian to the emerald but never gave him any details on that besides this random map that me may never have touched so did she just not have time to do so or did her mission change or maybe the Owls could possibly have been corrupt as well? Like again feels like there's backstory there that's not expanded on but that didn't bother me too much. Eh guess might as well try and bullet point the other negatives as well

- Though there were some good jokes and really solid deliveries I do admit they did do a couple of those lame "Sonic's got this" "I absolutely do not got this" irony jokes that I don't know why anyone still finds funny nowadays. Also some of the Chilli dog references worked but even the "I should of used actual farts" fake Sonic bit he set up for Tom was kind of lame and again not the kind of joke I really wanted to see in this movie. I guess I could also throw in Tails device in Moscow malfunctioning but... at least that could possible be a joke referencing how Tails's translation device had issues in Sonic Colors and I will give credit that joke was better handled then it was in Sonic Colors.

- Speaking of the Moscow scene, I had problems with the dance battle. First off I will admit seems like this movie mostly forgot that in the first film Sonic can go so fast he can appear in just frozen time and I can justify that wouldn't of worked Eggman's robots who are programmed to handle that level of speed as shown by his device in the first movie or characters like Knuckles and Tails who can also obtain a certain level of speed and thus such tactics wouldn't really work on them. However it seems like this would be a case especially when Sonic sees it on the guy's shoe to use his "super speed beyond anything" powers and just take it. I get he doesn't have any real strength in that form of super speed but he can still just grab that but eh maybe it was about winning so they could rest in the house and not be stuck outside. Which leads to the bigger problem; I don't have a problem with this series having a dance battle because unlike say Alvin and the Chipmunks they aren't constantly indulging in that just to pad out the sound track and it's at least a sort of funny subversion on the bar brawl from the last movie. Here's my problem though; they shouldn't of used Uptown Funk for the song. Sonic The Hedgehog is a series known and beloved for it's HIGH QUALITY OF MUSIC including various character themes and songs. Why pay Bruno Mars when you can use like "Escape From The City" "It Doesn't Matter" "Believe In Myself" or any number of those songs for like the two minute number? Yeah I get Sonic making references and jokes and I don't have a problem with that but throw us Sonic fans a bone with some actual stuff we'd know others might not get but it'd still make the scene work fine and it would be a lot cheaper honestly. Like really the dancing itself was a fine moment for Sonic and Tails to bond some and work in tandem but why use Uptown Funk and not an actual Sonic song?

- As much as I do appreciate them actually doing something with the Rachel character then having her just dislike and yell at Tom and I do like the use of GUN... did we really need an extended scene just playing out with Rachel and Maddie taking out the Gun officers. Okay I'll give credit that launching the guy into the sky and unsure of whether or not he'll land again and Rachel taking them out with the boomerang and having no idea how she did that and then holding the gun at GUN Commander Walters (and making fun of the actual GUN acronym is a good joke) as he cowers was funny but then having this whole scene with Randall admitting "no I really did love you I know you're not suppose to fall in love with your client but that's what I did" uh did someone forgot for like 3-5 minutes we're in a Sonic movie? I mean granted it's no where near the length of pointless like the human subplots in the Smurf movie and when it comes to annoying human antics, I'll take this faux marriage stuff over anything involving Chris Thorndyke but it did feel rather long for not even that much payoff. At the very least what they should have done is then have at the end Rachel tries properly marrying Randall again with everyone else there at the wedding... but a ring portal pops out an Amy drops out from it talking about her love of Sonic. At least end the whole love sick story joke as a way to connect to the most love obsssed Sonic character. I am glad about the mid credits tag we did get but yeah without that ending tag this part of the movie... felt like they wanted more for Natasha Rothwell to do and that could of been skimme down. Then again my sister admittedly thought her going all "bridezilla" was really funny so maybe there is an audience for that.

- Okay this one is probably the most minor nitpicks because it mostly works so well but I am going to bring it up because this one is really important to me because it's about Knuckles. And I am glad how he was mostly handled in his story. His power, him fighting with Sonic and the two squaring away their differences, and how he helped at the end was all great. And yeah Knuckles is suppose to ne naive and gullable so I don't mind the fact that Eggman was able to betray him here because... quite honestly Eggman tricking him in stuff like Sonic Adventure is more humiliating plus they didn't make him a total nitwit either like in say Sonic Boom and did treat the character with respect. Some of his lines at the end though talking about honorable's warrior death though yeah that I can imagine Knuckles saying also felt a bit too Drax the Destroyer ish. I mean it is funny him pointing out all the time he feels Sonic fails and being delighted about Sprinkles did feel a bit too close to that character which I do feel is a bit off for Knuckles. Like again it is thankfully not every line and a lot of his stuff either really felt like the character or felt really funny (I love the bit where he said he'd get back at Tails for hitting him a car for instance) but again I want my favorite Sonic character to be as best represented as possible so I am kind of critical of this sort of thing.

But yeah those were pretty much my negatives of the movie I did really enjoy the rest of it though.

For starters I do appreciate how they did take the time to show how Sonic bonded with both Tails and Knuckles. Even the teaser for the first movie showed that somehow Tails knew Sonic but that always confused me since the point of the first movie was that Sonic was alone in his world except for Longclaw and was in hiding in our world until the first movie so who else would have known about him? But I do like the idea that Tails found out because Sonic making that EMP black out in the first movie was also a multi dimensional signal that picked up in where Tails's universe was (which could of been the same as Sonic's and Knuckles I suppose but that's a detail that doesn't really matter) and was able to fine tune and find out who Sonic was and learn of his heroic accomplishments. I mean that is a variation of most of Tails's origins story; he sees Sonic and is inspired by him to the point of wanting to help him out and join up with him especially being picked on by others for his deformity. Me and my sister did both note it was a bit sort of creepy how in this one though he was watching from dimensions away especially with that "you watched me shower?" "ha trick question I know you like bubble baths" but they never went too far with and never made Tails feel annoying or anything and I still feel they captured that bond. And you know in this movie it feels more complete then in others because Sonic starts out this one wanting excuses to play the hero and show off and make everyone realize how impressive he is now not being afraid of hiding and thus him getting someone who sees him as a hero is something he really wants. But then when Tails winds up shot by one of Eggman's weapons because Sonic was distracted and puts the little guy in peril I could see that being reason why Sonic wants to try fixing this on his own (again I'm not going to get tired of the "character separates from friends wanting to protect them thinking they're at fault even if the other doesn't care" cliche. I just gravitate towards that) but having to learn to work as a team and to not always do everything for himself. And in turn encouraging Tails not just to be off to the sidelines and to get involved as yeah they both support one another. And also glad we got this from Knuckles. Again I kind of thought the idea that Knuckles would be the one good Echidna and his tribe would be all jerks to him but I do like the idea of his dad like Tom being all "you will have your moment" and that being something that inspired Knuckles to be the best (BTW I am super super SUPER glad that they don't bother try explaining why Knuckles is super strong or why Tails can use his "flying butt" or those two can speed around. The games just have these guys have super powers why does the movie need to give that more of an explanation?) and to avenge them and Sonic realizing how essentially he was like Knuckles and they had lost everything because of that conflict. And thus even after the fight Sonic actually saving Knuckles and Knuckles in term saving him back and Sonic pointing out how real friends and family look out for one another and the value of the fist bump. I guess there is a super cheesiness in that regard but that is something that is a deep part of Sonic lore; I mean the movie points out the master emerald transfoms thoughts into power which was an exact quote from the Sonic Adventure games. And another quote from that game is "our hearts form awesome powers." So I totally get Sonic being saved by Tom and Maddie at the end and it's their love for him that inspires him to fully access the power of the emeralds to transform into Super Sonic. And I admit though obviously telegraphed with Tom's bit about "I wish Sonic had friends" I was the one also pushing even when just hearing about this movie about Sonic finding new brothers in Tails and Knuckles so the three of them joining up to play baseball though funny was also a sweet and cute way to end this especially since hey that does remind me of one of the best Sonic X episodes and yeah is actually a great callback to the first movie of Sonic bummed about playing alone but now he has friends and brothers in his life to play with. So that really lines up well.

I also think the action and general plotting works well. Granted I guess you can argue having this ancient secret part of a map reveal a key for the actual temple where the Master Emerald is fairly convoluted but it feels more organically woven in then say something like TMNT 2 (plus that one just had Shredder and Krang propose an alliance but have no chemistry or scenes really working together or bouncing off one another but you get a good amount of that with Knuckles and Eggman here) plus I can't fault a Sonic movie that has macguffin hunting elements in it; that's pretty much what the chaos emeralds or master emerald shards or chaos rings or super emeralds or any of the number of mystical super natural powered objects in the series are; it's about how they were used and I felt they were used well here. I appreciate how the first action set piece was to show how cocky Sonic is and how obviously unprepared and often dives in without a plan whatsover and having to learn from that. I am glad we actually do get a fair amount of Sonic and Knuckles fight scenes throughout and as a Knuckles fan I do appreciate how in all of them Knuckles gets more hits in because he's the better fighter. Like Sonic does better racing down the icy hills and in the temple later and there is this really cool shot of Sonic constantly spin dashing Knuckles deeper and deeper into the ground but yeah Knuckles is stronger and better trained and do like that Knuckles if not for Eggman's obvious betrayal this time around would of actually squashed Sonic with that rock. I guess a selfish part of me would of wanted to see more battles between the two but hey it is finally nice seeing some actual fights with them again and they still flowed well. I also appreciate that they clarified Tails is more of a tech whiz but he still uses his flying and gadgets in the actual field as I liked him actually using those holo clones at the very end. And hey speaking of that I really do like the idea of this time around Eggman just absorbing the Master Emerald and taking the metal pieces from the surrounding area to make his big giant mech. Like it is odd that sans Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog we never see Eggman personally absorb any of the chaos emeralds. It's either through his machine or creatures or gods that wind up betraying him but no like this time it being him using it to fuel this giant robot. And I really like how it was only stopped by Sonic Tails and Knuckles joining together. heh kind of wish they called themselves "Sonic Heroes" but that was still the same spirit; Sonic causing the distraction with his speed, Tails using his flight and trickery and then Knuckles using his strength to just punch Eggman hard in the stomach. Like yeah that felt good to see. And I like how Super Sonic debuted and so easily even saw Eggman's betrayal and tore through his machine hands (why couldn't Super Sonic be this observant in Sonic Unleashed then heh heh... I can do this all day literally I am a sonic fan I know all this stuff) and then the entire machine. And Super Sonic tipping it with one foot like from the opening cutscene of Sonic 06? Cool homage there. Of course Eggman shouldn't be dead from this. What I feel happen is he used the last of those chaos back up powers attached to the machine to teleport away (more on that in a sec) but there's also talk of Jim Carey retiring from acting but... didn't like he sign a deal to be in Sonic 3 and even talk about wanting to get fat for that role so wouldn't he still be in that movie? Guess we'll see but if he does come back he'll likely be in Space Colony arc. Now I want kind of credit for this because I was the one who kept floating the idea of "the best way to tease the next movie is end revealing Shadow and thus next time it will be Sonic Adventure 2" which they did... granted I wanted Eggman to be jailed and sent to Prison island wind up releasing Shadow accidnetally there so we might of gotten a line from him but honestly I like the idea of instead mentioning Space Colony ARK and showing Shadow in a tube there. Obviously there has to be some reason why the human world or at least someone would of known about Sonic's species back then and never revealed it but eh that's third movie problems and this one still tied up really well.

And though I don't think the jokes were as good as the first movie there were still a lot of solid bits. I enjoyed Eggman's machine in the beginning constantly crushing copies of Sonic in this convoluted way and using "stone" to take out one of the guys who came through the ring portal, the kdinapped guy pointing out how horrible Sonic is at rescuing people and super tearing through and debolting that truck at lightning fast speeds, Sonic setting up this boarding station for Tom and Maddie using the ring for them to go to Hawaii (that is actually really cool thinking about it that they just use the warp rings for mundane things like that. Seriously that's something I wish was more implimented even other Sonic lore that has such things as warp rings; just using it for more basic stuff like that) Sonic super speeding away the mess he made when Tom called and Tom knowing he would do that, Sonic admitting he has no idea who Tails was when he first showed up but getting in the car regardless, how super into Robotnick Stone was. yeah this is something hinted at in the first movie but him putting in the latte and later getting all exited thinking up a new snazzy coat for Doc and wanting to be taken with on the giant bot and reading the manual for it does show just how loyal the guy is which honestly is an amusing bit for him. Same with Wade who I feel like if they were in this movie enough would be annoying as "just like ghostbusters" to describe the master emerald is a sort of grating line but funny enough to pass same with him admitting he has tried being good bad/offers him food cop to Stone later and Tom and Maddie instantly knowing he failed when GUN talked about incompetent cops. I do really like someone cuddling close to Sonic and him calling that an emergency in the morning with Tails as well as cracking on Eggman's look and Knuckles being annoyed at how many jokes he makes. And I admit some of Knuckles not getting the bit routines really worked like him saying out loud "dot dot dot" as it was transpiring or pointing out how weak Eggman was after crushing his hand were really solid jokes. Same with Tom having to knock out Randall to get that ring to bring Sonic in and again I do like the whole sting thing with the GUN Commander also being called the Olive Garden guy (I know people disliked that joke in teh first movie but it's still a funny joke in how it's it used here and it's not just a promotion one either) and realizing later he screwed up. And Eggman going through the maze like it was a GPS and mocking Knuckles for not seeing his obvious betrayal coming. And the ending of Sonic last second grabbing the master emerald in the cooler is a solid joke to end this one.

So overall some minor quibbles with story and I don't think all the jokes hit quite as hard as the first movie but still a really solid and enjoyable film and really shows how high of quality these Sonic movies have and hope the third one matches up. Which will hopefully not just have Shadow in it but Amy and Rogue as well since I think you can fit all three of those in well now with the main trinity established.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Sonic 3 should have a new original song by Crush 40

DogBoneController

Just got to see it with my brother and I can safely say Paramount nabbing the Sonic film rights was one of the best decisions they've made in the last decade.

Rabbitearsblog

Just saw the movie myself and I really enjoyed it! It was such an entertaining and heartwarming film that has lots of references from the games. I really loved how they portrayed Knuckles in this movie as it was great seeing him be serious yet gullible again. I also liked Sonic and Tails' friendship in this movie. Even though I wished that there were more personal scenes between Sonic and Tails, I did like the scenes where they were close to each other, especially the dance scene! I especially loved the final battle scene with the Death Egg. It was such an exciting scene! And that post credits scene was simply amazing!

DogBoneController

The Siberia dance-off was the most hysterical part of the film. I like how the patrons aren't impulsively violent like the bar patrons were in the previous movie. Everyone had lots of fun even if they knew they were dealing with space aliens.

On a side note, it's interesting how they kept that whole scene intact/didn't hastily redub it given the present conflict between Russia and Ukraine. Considering that the US isn't actually *at war* with Russia, not to mention the Russian patrons aren't presented in a malicious/violent manner, there was probably no reason to change it.

DogBoneController

The movie continues the trend of shameless product placement:

* Sonic is seen applying Axe gel at one point.
* Olive Garden call back from the previous movie.
* The ending functions as an ad for Chevrolet Silverado trucks. The truck is even colored blue to boot.

Pooky

Staff member
I did wonder if the Olive Garden reference here was something the company actually paid for, or just a reference that made sense given the ending of the last one. I'm sure they don't mind either way!

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Just got to see it with my brother and I can safely say Paramount nabbing the Sonic film rights was one of the best decisions they've made in the last decade.
And it was a fitting decision, because Paramount and Sega were sister companies under Gulf+Western in the 1970s and early 1980s.

DogBoneController

Kinda fitting that the movie ended with a baseball game since it's MLB Opening Week.

Lots of casting wish lists for Shadow in the next movie, but given the character's edgy personality they'll likely have to go with someone with expertise in drama.

All I can think of at the top of my head are Jason Momoa, Damian Lewis, Emile Hirsch, Keanu Reeves (solely for The Matrix), Corey Stoll and Tom Hardy.

(Keep. Jared. Leto. Away. At. All. Costs.)

Mod Note: Double Post Merged. Please use the Edit button instead next time

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabbitearsblog

Kinda fitting that the movie ended with a baseball game since it's MLB Opening Week.

Lots of casting wish lists for Shadow in the next movie, but given the character's edgy personality they'll likely have to go with someone with expertise in drama.

All I can think of at the top of my head are Jason Momoa, Damian Lewis, Emile Hirsch, Keanu Reeves (solely for The Matrix), Corey Stoll and Tom Hardy.

(Keep. Jared. Leto. Away. At. All. Costs.)

Mod Note: Double Post Merged. Please use the Edit button instead next time
I would love for Keanu Reeves to play Shadow, but I don't know if they can pull that off. Although, given how successful Idris Elba was in the role of Knuckles, it's possible Paramount might choose another big time celebrity to voice Shadow.

Pooky

Staff member
The $71 million is just for the US (Current overseas total including last weekend is coincidentally $70million).

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Sonic 3 should have a new original song by Crush 40

Honestly these Sonic movies should just have Crush 40 Songs or hell songs from the games besides having the Green Hill Zone as a ring tone. Seriously I have no idea why Paramount pays so much money for licensed song when they know how big the Sonic fans are and how much we just want to hear the music already in the franchise on the big screens. Then again I guess that's a thing about every major franchise; unless you're already a musical even if you're tied to something with a lot of powerful music only a bit of that is ever presented on screen.

The movie continues the trend of shameless product placement:

You know I admit one complaint I'm really getting sick of people making are when they talk about a movie having "shameless product placement" when they just mention or you briefly see a product... even though there are tons upon tons of movies with product or licensed material shown that don't get called out doing so. Seriously I don't get how like a line or image for 5 seconds counts as shameless shilling when it really isn't like at all.

Keanu Reeves (solely for The Matrix)

I would also want Shadow played by Keanu Reeves... but not because Keanu was in the Matrix, but because of Keanu's performance as John Wick in THAT series. Quite honestly I would want Keanu to do a variation of his John Wick voice for Shadow because that is just seriously so fitting especially because a lot of the character is in a sense the same as well... I guess Wick never had the vengeance streak Shadow had but otherwise still a fair amount the same.

Pooky

Staff member
You know I admit one complaint I'm really getting sick of people making are when they talk about a movie having "shameless product placement" when they just mention or you briefly see a product... even though there are tons upon tons of movies with product or licensed material shown that don't get called out doing so. Seriously I don't get how like a line or image for 5 seconds counts as shameless shilling when it really isn't like at all.

I don't mind it when it's brief, but there's a line crossed sometimes surely? I didn't mind or notice the product placement in this film (except the brief Olive Garden callback as mentioned above), but the first film (which I liked) with a running "gag" about Olive Garden did cross a line (doesn't help that Olive Garden isn't even in the UK so it's useless Product Placement here!), which made stuff like the Zillow shot more egregious than it otherwise might have been. The extensive focus on Krispy Kreme in the third act of the 2017 Power Rangers movie is another example of crossing the line, perhaps the most egregious.

DogBoneController

I don't mind it when it's brief, but there's a line crossed sometimes surely? I didn't mind or notice the product placement in this film (except the brief Olive Garden callback as mentioned above), but the first film (which I liked) with a running "gag" about Olive Garden did cross a line (doesn't help that Olive Garden isn't even in the UK so it's useless Product Placement here!), which made stuff like the Zillow shot more egregious than it otherwise might have been. The extensive focus on Krispy Kreme in the third act of the 2017 Power Rangers movie is another example of crossing the line, perhaps the most egregious.
And then, of course, we have Man of Steel, which is a two-and-a-half hour advertisement for IHOP, Sears, 7-Eleven (which isn't even present here in Atlanta), Nokia, Nikon, HP, UHaul, and many, many others....

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 got a lot of heat for featuring Dairy Queen prominently.

Last edited:

harry580

I saw the movie and I love it

since tails is my favorite sonic character, I happy to see tails in this film

Last edited:

DogBoneController

The pre-quill comic explains quite a few plot holes in the movie, including who those warriors accompanying Knuckles when he first meets Robotnik were, how Agent Stone evaded authorities and set up Mean Bean Coffee as a front for Robotnik's operations, and the various planets and worlds Tails went through to find Sonic before making it to Earth. There's even a little jab at the lizard warriors from an earlier draft of the first movie.

The comic also confirms Longclaw was indeed killed, apparently in her own house (maybe the echindas captured her and "interrogated" her over Sonic's whereabouts?). There's no sign of a body which suggests her manner of death....wasn't pleasant.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Saw it today. I'd grade it about a B or so. They really didn't need the mostly live action wedding scenes, they added nothing to the movie and weren't that funny. The movie was already long enough as it was, but if they cut those out it would've been at least in the ~100 minute range which would've been just right.

I liked the hidden temple- definitely felt like a Sonic environment more than anything else in the movie or in the first. And Eggman's giant robot body was a nice nod to Sonic 2 the game. Speaking of Eggman, Jim Carrey continued to be one of the best parts of the movie, and even looked a bit more like the character this time around.

This is gonna sound weird but I loved the family dog. It was barely in any scenes but I lit up whenever it was on-screen, like Sonic pulling a Risky Business while his "parents" were on vacation.

No complaints with Tails or Knuckles, they were pretty much exactly like the games. I especially liked how Tails's inventions were a mixed bag- some saved the day (his plane) while others got them into trouble (his translator at the Siberian pub).

I thought the globetrotting to find all the Chaos Emeralds was underdeveloped. They only went to a couple places before the climax. Imagine if they took all the wedding stuff out, they could've gone to more locations, making it feel even more like the games.

Did they ever explain how Sonic got to the hidden temple? Last we saw him, he was struggling to run on the waves and looked like he was going under... and next scene he's washing ashore at the hidden temple. And he was still a ways from the light the temple was emitting. Just seemed far fetched that he was somehow carried the rest of the way when he was still a ways out to sea.

One other observation: Sonic's line "That block was already messed up" was cribbed right from Rush Hour. Um, oops?

Anyway, it was good, not great. Kinda similar to my reaction to the first film.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts