"Spidey and His Amazing Friends" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss the season!

• ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out new Spidey and His Amazing Friends today at 9:00am on the Disney Channel! Check local listings for reruns.
spidey.png

Spidey and His Amazing Friends “Peter's Pendant Predicament / TWIST-E"
Episode Debut - February 25, 2022 at 9:00am on Disney Channel

Spidey's precious pendant falls into Green Goblin's hands. / Spin wants his own robot, but when he rushes to build it without Spidey's help, his robot ends up with a big flaw.

Comments?

We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out new Spidey and His Amazing Friends today at 9:00am on the Disney Channel! Check local listings for reruns.
spidey.png

Spidey and His Amazing Friends “Itsy-Bitsy Spiders / Gobby's Rotten Pumpkin Hunt"
Episode Debut - March 11, 2022 at 9:00am on Disney Channel

Doc Ock shrinks Spidey, Ghost-Spider and Spin down to the size of actual spiders! / When Green Goblin ruins the Spidey Team's egg hunt, our heroes must foil his dastardly plans.

Comments?

We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Doc Ock's Super Octopus / Attack Of The Green Giggles"

Doc Ock's Super Octopus:

Squishy is so cute I want a plushie of him. Also Squishy is a great name for an octopus. ***1/2.

Attack Of The Green Giggles:

I liked the squirrels. ***.

Episode Overall: ***1/2.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Bug In The System / Test Your Super Strength"

Bug In The System:

The whole thing at the end of Spidey transforming Doc Ock's wormhole generator into a recycling shortcut made me realize something bad. I am about to say one of the harshest things I can ever say about a person. Peter has an utter lack of imagination. That's the worst thing I can say about somebody, and I'll say it because that totally bugged me. **.

Test Your Super Strength:

Predictable. I know it's for toddlers, but still.

Also controlling your temper won't help you win carnival games. Those things are scams. **1/2.

Episode Overall: **1/2.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Pecking Prankster Pigeons / Green Thumb"

Pecking Prankster Pigeons:

I still can't get over how cute the designs for Peter, Gwen, and Miles are. ***1/2.

Green Thumb:

Miss Marvel is extra cute too. ***1/2.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Mother's Day Mayhem / Not-So-Fun House"

Mother's Day Mayhem:

Doc Ock's evil plan is to ruin Mother's Day. Doc Ock needs to find more interesting things to do.

So Gwen's Mom is Detective Stacy instead of her dad being Captain Stacy. Not gonna lie: The New Yawk accent was kind of cringe.

All right otherwise though. ***.

Not-So-Fun House:

Spin sure is cute. But like Doc Ock, Gobby needs a better hobby. (A Gobby hobby.) ***.

Episode Overall: ***.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Camping Conundrum / The Great Green Crime Spree"

Camping Conundrum:

For some reason, it's funny to hear child preschool characters say the word "dam" in the context of rivers.

I'm having a hard time figuring where the kids are attaching their webs when they shoot them straight up in the great outdoors.

The Foxes were cute. As was the cartoon. ***1/2.

The Great Green Crime Spree:

That was super dumb with characters overexplaining what was going on. And I didn't like that Detective Stacy didn't apologize at the end to Hulk for suspecting him. *1/2.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Rocket Rhino! / Trick Or TRACE-E"

Rocket Rhino!:

Spidey using the "With great power comes great responsibility" saying makes me wonder about his origin story and Uncle Ben. He's just a little kid so things MUST have went down a little differently. But it makes me curious anyways. ***1/2.

Trick Or TRACE-E:

TRACE-E sure is cute. ***.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Gob-Zilla / Speedy Spidey Delivery"

Gob-Zilla:

Did Peter's voice change?

Cute. ***.

Speedy Spidey Delivery:

Everyone was in this one.

I like that Hulk likes green smashed cake.

Also cute. ***1/2.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Good Guy Gobby / Spider Monkey"

Good Guy Gobby:

It's a preschool show, and it's a dumb preschool show, but I don't like the episodes where the show is shoving its dumbness down my throat. *.

Spider Monkey:

Case in point. Bad week. *1/2.

Episode Overall: *.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "CAT-Astrophe / Swing With A Stomp"

CAT-Astrophe:

Bootsie sure is cute.

Miles asking if Bootsie had grown since the last time they saw him says he isn't very smart.

Still cute. ***.

Swing With A Stomp:

Doc Ock's favorite ice cream flavor is stinky gorgonzola? No wonder she sucks.

I like the animation effects on the sounds.

All right. ***.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "A Very Spidey Christmas / Gobby On Ice"

A Very Spidey Christmas:

Underwhelming. **.

Gobby On Ice:

Forgettable. **.

Episode Overall: **.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Going Green / Coming Clean"

Going Green:

Too Captain Planet for my tastes. **.

Coming Clean:

Honestly? Bad. It's a dumb plot because the dangers inherent in the blob are self-evident and why Spidey never should have invented it. And considering how insanely dangerous it is, Spidey and Spin really should not have been doing crazy experimental things to try and stop it. Blowing it up could have simply made things worse.

Whatever else you want to say this cartoon is teaching kids, it's not rational problem-solving. *.

Episode Overall: *1/2.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Web Beard's Treasure / Washed Away"

Web Beard's Treasure:

The name "Web Beard" is a little on the nose, don't you think?

Eh. **1/2.

Washed Away:

I liked Gobby's "What a world!" when he falls into the water. There has always been a lot of Margaret Mitchell in this version's design and performance.

Cool. ***.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Spin Rushes In / Bridge Bandit"

Spin Rushes In:

Spin's Arachno-Stings don't hurt? That doesn't sound right.

Like every preschool cartoon, one of the protagonists shows a character flaw they've never demonstrated before, that the writers randomly gave them just for this episode, and it's one that they'll never have a problem with again. A big problem with preschool cartoons is the unyielding formula of them. Will toddlers complain? No. Will I? Yes. **.

Bridge Bandit:

The closing joke is why all preschool shows outside of Sesame Street suck.

The vehicles are quite toyetic, which bothers me more in a show designed for toddlers. They are far more impressionable than the 10-year-olds toy commercial cartoons were aimed at when I was a kid. *1/2.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Art Attack! / Puppy Pandemonium"

Art Attack!:

I hated that. I'll tell you why. Gobby destroying art is not toddler-cartoon naughty. I find it real-world horrible. And the show gets demerits because I don't think it actually understands that or how serious it is. They have him washing off the paintings at the end as if that's a suitable resolution. You destroy a painting like that, it's actually gone forever. It's bad enough the producers had Gobby do such a horrible crime. They don't seem to actually understand how horrible it is. And for a show teaching morality to toddlers, that's kind of messed up. 0.

Puppy Pandemonium:

No great shakes, but unlike the last cartoon, there was nothing that offended me either. **.

Episode Overall: *.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Goblin Island / Doc Ock And The Shocktobots"

Goblin Island:

Sort of a cool, supervillainy concept. ***1/2.

Doc Ock And The Shocktobots:

The Panther Patroller is very toyetic. Mommy! Mommy! I want that! ***.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Peter's Pendant Predicament / TWIST - E"

Peter's Pendant Predicament:

By having Peter position the crystal to deflect Gobby's laser beams the show is being dumb enough to suggest that Peter can move faster than the speed of light. Right. Derp.

I like Aunt May saying her Grandfather traveled to many exotic locations like Madagascar and Hoboken. It's funny because really, what toddler would know the difference? ***.

TWIST-E:

It's like The Ransom Of Red Chief for Doc Ock (if Red Chief were a malfunctioning Spiderbot). ***.

Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Itsy-Bitsy Spiders / Gobby's Rotten Pumpkin Hunt"

Itsy-Bitsy Spiders:

I found Doc Ock's microscope goggles creepy-looking. ***.

Gobby's Rotten Pumpkin Hunt:

I TOLD you, Michael, there's ALWAYS pumpkins in the banana stand!

In hindsight, I'm starting to believe painting Easter Eggs as a kid was just a ruse by my parents. It was just mindless busywork to take my mind off constantly asking them for candy. It certainly wasn't in any way, shape, or form FUN.

I think adults making kids paint Easter Eggs are the grifters and the kids are the marks. Another reason I believe no parent can ever be trusted. ***.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter

spidey.png

Spidey and His Amazing Friends “The Wozzlesnook / Superhero Switcheroo"
Episode Debut - March 18, 2022 at 9:00am on Disney Channel

Spin’s favorite mythical creature may actually exist! / When Spidey and Hulk’s powers are switched by Doc Ock, they must teach each other how to be each other in order to defeat her.

Comments?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Spidey And His Amazing Friends "The Wozzlesnook / Superhero Switcheroo"

The Wozzlesnook:

Dumb. **.

Superhero Switcheroo:

I liked Hulk being all "Stuck / unstuck. Stuck / unstuck."

I am also very glad that Hulk is gentler with bunnies than Lennie from Of Mice And Men was. Of course this being a preschool show, perhaps that should go without saying.

Here's an irony. In a less vanilla kiddie incarnation, Hulk taking a deep breath and counting to three would actually work against the Hulk powers. Him being less mad centering him instead is quite unusual as far as Hulk portrayals go. Usually the madder Hulk gets, the stronger he gets.

Cute. ***1/2.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
spidey.png

Spidey and His Amazing Friends “Aunt May's Mess / Foam Sweet Foam"
Episode Debut - March 25, 2022 at 9:00am on Disney Channel

When Aunt May unknowingly picks up Doc Ock's floating gizmo at the antique store, Spidey and the team must retrieve it before Doc Ock does. / Spidey's new web formula is a failure.

Comments?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Aunt May's Mess / Foam Sweet Foam"

Aunt May's Mess:

Yeah, old phones were big and didn't do anything. But if the show REALLY wanted to take a shot at them they'd point out how frustrating the rotary dials were. I absolutely hated those things. ***.

Foam Sweet Foam:

Not exactly a good cartoon but the foam itself was fun. **1/2.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Mother's Day Mayhem:

Doc Ock's evil plan is to ruin Mother's Day. Doc Ock needs to find more interesting things to do.
I think it's just cause her mom spends a little too much time helping out that Reilly kid, and she's just lashing out.

Camping Conundrum:

For some reason, it's funny to hear child preschool characters say the word "dam" in the context of rivers.
I'll do you one better. An MLP comic miniseries with the Cutie Mark Crusader has the other spelling of dam due to a typo. Maybe:-D.
Bridge Bandit:

The closing joke is why all preschool shows outside of Sesame Street suck.

The vehicles are quite toyetic, which bothers me more in a show designed for toddlers. They are far more impressionable than the 10-year-olds toy commercial cartoons were aimed at when I was a kid. *1/2.
Other way around for me especially on Gob-Zilla. Seriously, how do you have a giant threat in a toyetic Spider-Man cartoon and not have the Giant Spider Robot?

Especially one that turns into a spaceship.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter

spidey.png

Spidey and His Amazing Friends “Freeze! It's Team Spidey / A Sticky Situation"
Episode Debut - April 15, 2022 at 9:00am on Disney Channel

Team Spidey’s webs won’t work in hot weather and Peter’s fix is no fix at all! / When Peter glues himself to Gwen with his new web formula, the two of them need to adapt quickly.

Comments?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Freeze! It's Team Spidey / A Sticky Situation"

Freeze! It's Team Spidey:

Is it just me or is Rhino a real whiner? He should be called Whino. *1/2.

A Sticky Situation:

The villains acting like bratty toddlers has already gotten super old. *1/2.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter

spidey.png

Spidey and His Amazing Friends “Rhinoctopus / A Pumpkin Problem"
Episode Debut - May 6, 2022 at 9:00am on Disney Channel

When the team stops Ock’s heist, she throws away her tentacle suit in frustration and Rhino takes her place. / Spidey is sidetracked when his prize pumpkin becomes a threat.

Comments?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Rhinoctopus / A Pumpkin Problem"

Rhinoctopus:

A little bit boring. The gimmick didn't really interest me. Of course, I'm not a preschooler, but still. **.

A Pumpkin Problem:

That was a little bit sweet, but it too didn't hold my interest. **1/2.

Antiyonder

Staff member
Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Freeze! It's Team Spidey / A Sticky Situation"

Freeze! It's Team Spidey:

Is it just me or is Rhino a real whiner? He should be called Whino. *1/2.

Yeah who'd expect the super villain equivalent of Harold Berman to be a whiner. If only he had a football shaped head kid to show him a better way. ;)

A Sticky Situation:

The villains acting like bratty toddlers has already gotten super old. *1/2.

They probably made a role model of the 90s animated version of Dr. Wily. Especially demanding that Mega Man give him back his building.

Yes really, in the episode Campus Commandos:-D.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out new Spidey and His Amazing Friends today at 8:30am on the Disney Channel! Check local listings for reruns.
spidey.png

Spidey and His Amazing Friends “Catch and Release / Construction Destruction"
Episode Debut - June 17, 2022 at 8:30am on Disney Channel

Miles’ Father’s Day fishing trip is interrupted by Doc Ock’s plan to take over the harbor. / Spidey, Hulk and Ms. Marvel get in over their heads when a squirrel wreaks havoc.

Comments?

Antiyonder

Staff member
Spidey, Hulk and Ms. Marvel get in over their heads when a squirrel wreaks havoc.
If only they knew a Girl who could talk to Squirrels. But that would only be possible in comics or a cartoon based on a comic. Sigh...

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Catch And Release / Construction Destruction"

Catch And Release:

First cartoon Spidey himself doesn't appear. In fact, Gwen doesn't either. It's a solo Spin outing. ***.

Construction Destruction:

The fact that Hulk and Ms. Marvel can't handle a squirrel isn't funny, it's pathetic.

The cartoon is a rare one in that it lacks a supervillain entirely.

Gwen has been absent for the entire episode.

Dumb. *1/2.

Episode Overall: **.

Antiyonder

Staff member
Construction Destruction:

The fact that Hulk and Ms. Marvel can't handle a squirrel isn't funny, it's pathetic.
I don't know. If the Monarch of Latveria can be jobbed by squirrels, any super folks are fair game.;)

Yes, I bet even Batman could be tripped up by them under the right circumstances. :D

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out new Spidey and His Amazing Friends today at 8:30am on the Disney Channel! Check local listings for reruns. Don't miss the season finale.

spidey.png
Spidey and His Amazing Friends “Parade Panic / The Case of the Burgling Book Bandit"
Episode Debut - July 8, 2022 at 8:30am on Disney Channel

Team Spidey is honored with their own parade, but the villains band together to ruin everything. / When all the detective books in the library go missing, Team Spidey is on the case!

Comments?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Spidey And His Amazing Friends "Parade Panic / The Case Of The Burgling Book Bandit"

Parade Panic:

I found this one cute. ***.

The Case Of The Burgling Book Bandit:

This was somehow even cuter. ****.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts