"Star Trek: Lower Decks" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Trek: Lower Decks "Grounded"

That TV-MA rating scared the poo outta me, but like all ratings, it turns out to have been utterly bogus. The show is still bleeping delightful. As it should be.

There were a HELL of a lot of Star Trek references here, even for this show. The most obvious ones were the eerily accurate callbacks to First Contact, but we also got a ton of little stuff like Sisko's Restaurant, a Sonny Clemonds concert, and my favorite was the kid who solved Fermat's Last Theorem, which has not only been solved more than once in the franchise, but it was actually solved centuries earlier in real life, WHILE DS9 was still on the air. One of Trek's more embarrassing real-life goofs and that joke is rubbing the franchise's nose in it.

I'll tell you something odd about the show, and really it might be considered a failing. But all of the tourist traps and recognizable spots on Earth are all from previous Star Trek episodes and movies. I would not begrudge the series for coming up for its own unique stamps of future Earth. Although the show pointing out there is no reason for the San Francisco Bridge to still exist in a world without cars is getting there.

I'll tell you why this is a good Star Trek show. And why it's a good modern Star Trek show. The unpredictable ending is that you should believe in the system. And while that has always been true of the first five Star Trek series, every Kurtzman era show is very committed to showing why certain aspects of Starfleet are and always have been flawed. And frankly, I like that about them, and think it's long overdue. It's also very much in the vein of how modern television chooses to tell stories, and the kinds of controversies it seeks out. A lot of modern drama has to do with characters looking inwards on themselves and their missions and finding both lacking. Star Trek purists will scoff, but I find it necessary for a modern show.

And this episode shocks us all by exclusively appealing to the purists. The ones who don't really have a leg to stand on when defending Gene Roddenberry's militarism and authoritarianism in his shows. You guys? Nailed it here. And it's the fact the franchise is raising questions elsewhere which is why this specific "not safe for TV" moral is refreshing instead of alarming and obnoxious. But yeah, it's a great twist that things are gonna work out because they are good guys and good guys always win. It's Star Trek. That's actually been its deal the entire time, whether Kurtzman admits it or not.

James Cromwell. Nice. The thing I love about this show is that is bring back classic actors to voice their characters. Most cartoons of different franchises wouldn't bother. Star Trek: Lower Decks does because it cares, and because the producers are actual fans.

Great first episode back. The anticlimax is the exact point of Star Trek. Predictability in that regard was always one of Star Trek's selling points, so props to the show for touting it in the modern era for once. ****1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Trek: Lower Decks "The Least Dangerous Game"

This was an average episode, but this is a good show, and an average episode of a good show is always eminently watchable. I don't feel the need to do a full deconstruction, but I do need to address one thing. The show did NOT need to get back J.G. Hertzler for Martok. No other animated show would have bothered. But this show cares. And that makes all the difference.

Also nice hear that Martok is still Chancellor. The shady Klingons from last year's finale had me a bit worried about the Empire, but if Martok is still in charge, things'll be all right. ***1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Trek: Lower Decks "Mining The Mine's Mind"

Yes, the show got back Susan Gibney for Leah Brahms. They didn't actually NEED to for a cameo that small and unimportant. But they care, so they did.

The Cerritos getting a positive reputation among other ships' Lower Deck crews is not a surprise. And yeah, the ship does seem a LOT more fun to work in than any other ship in the entire fleet.

The victim is the teaser is similar to a LOT of Star Trek victims (including the Red Shirts on The Original Series) in that he died because he was stupid. Star Trek is kind and wonderful to the intelligent, peaceful, and curious. It is a brutal Universe to live in if you are actually dumb.

Billups surviving sort of beggared belief. Why didn't they bring ALL the statue people back then?

Susan Gibney is all you need to know about what Star Trek nerds the writers are. I love them for it. ****.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
You know I've been enjoying this season and want to talk about it so eh joining Fone Bone here in talking about it. Some quick reviews for the latest episodes.

"Grounded" - Part of me wonders especially since season 2 was greenlit with season 1 and season 3 was the first season green lit after they wrote the first two seasons if they had always planned out how this would go down with Carol's trial but honestly I think it works. I guess you could equate it a bit to season 3 of Rick and Morty where "ha ha you thought we were building an arc of one of the leads being taken prisoner and maybe the others needing to gather together to help them out? Nope they sort of just got out of it themselves" but I think this actually is a very needed lesson. Mariner's whole point is though being good at her job and skilled she is also someone who will throw out the book and protocol and do the most insane and out there scenario to try and save the day and help out others. And though sometimes that's useful and needed there does especially in a world like Star Trek need to be an example of how following the rules and actually playing the game is useful and I appreciate how the trial was just a way to take down the whole Paklids thing from last season and how many times it was pointed out by others especially her father to let the practice play out. So it actually does show Mariner's head strong attitude as something also dangerous that should be accounted for which I appreciate. I also like the idea of Carol realizing "okay maybe being under my wing I can't exactly ground you practically but I can put you under someone who can" and now Mariner having to be under Ransom and that likely being a thing running in the season. I admit if I saw more of First Contact (I remember a frined of mine showing clips of that over 20 years ago but mostly the Borg stuff) I'd probably get more of the presentation of the place the LD team went to but still cute references.

"The Least Dangerous Game" - IMHO so far the weakest episode of the season. I honestly would have preferred if the team had played that variation of Klingon FMV game then the story we got which isn't terrible but... only half of it was really interesting. I admit if we didn't need to have the episode be dramatic at all and had it played more of a farce that the guy hunting Boilnger was doing it for sport that'd be funnier since him pointing out "look if you want to do the whole hunted becomes the hunter don't announce it to the hunter" and taking the picture was funny but him being serious hunting Boilnger was. I do appreciate how Bold Boilnger wasn't a one off thing and something we do see more of going into the season. And I do like the other plot where Ransom is trying to get Mariner in trouble by switching the jobs and they have no idea how to engineer while Rutherford and Billips getting in trouble with the locals and Mariner having to do the free fall dive and then go back to try and act like she hadn't is amusing. Like I feel Mariner works best when she either has a proper fold to bounce off of not just being top dog or actually being cool under pressure in a solid enviornment or suffering some sort of consequence for her actions and that's what we got here so well done in that regard.

"Mining The Mind's Mines" - I don't know if being super self aware of certain tropes of Star Trek makes it weird for this show to still be in Trek's canon but honestly I think it's funny enough where that isn't that much of an issue as I do like the idea of the team being well aware of the area messing with them and wanting to see there desires come out and them more having to resist them as nusiances. Plus I remember the writers admitting they made Mariner's bisexuality in the first couple of seasons a bit too subtle so appreciate them showing more of it with having that fantasy with Jenn'ifer and talking about their relationship status. I also really like the idea of the locals and miners running a scheme together to get at federation secrets as yeah you don't quite see it coming but it's something that feels right within the universe wo well done in that regard.

And now this ep

"Room For Growth" - You know another thing I liked about the last ep is our crew here actually really getting along with that other lower decks crew and bonding with them... which I feel especially works in this episode as you had that episode where the teams talked out there differences and became friends and figured "oh well the same will happen with this other shift team" but no they were just playing and wound up tricking the team. And also liked the idea of Mariner, Tendi and Boilnger wanting to throw the raffel thinking that would mean they'd stick together... and then only realizing "oh wait we could have all had just one room together" and admitting they were tired and not thinking when Rutherford called them out on that. And honestly this one just had a lot of great gags on both plots. The plot of the raffle had great bits with apparently Shaks and T'Ani hooking up while into holodeck bank shoot outs (love Mariner and co mocking banks and the concept of money as that's something very line in what I know about Star Trek but this show can be extra smack talk about it) and Tendi wanting to hear about T'Ani loosing her tail but not being able to Mariner and Boilnger tripping out on the underground flower hallucinations to playing around with the lower gravity to Boilnger actually figuring a short cut to the actual place with the charity. Just a lot of fun bits and I admit the banter with the 3 is really strong here. And the subplot of Carol having to deal with the engineer team needing to relax and all they want to do is work on stuff is great. I guess what was having them stressed was being forced to work on other projects not ones they chose to work on heh heh and like them figuring out a way to super realx Carol the DOVE head wanted to get rid of not wanting to be out of a job. Just again a lot of great laughs overall here that makes this easily one of the best if not best of these 4 episodes i've seen.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Trek: Lower Decks "Room For Growth"

Honestly? A couple of the jokes hit me wrong. Maybe that shouldn't be a deal-breaker in a normal comedy, but in a Star Trek show, they grated.

I am well aware Geordi La Forge is considered one of the very worst and lamest Star Trek characters of the Berman era. But I feel using his name as a pejorative to engineers is incredibly disrespectful to LeVar Burton. I had similar objections to a Miles O'Brien slam in the previous season. Really the only living character from that era you can actually make fun of and not disrespect the actor is Wesley Crusher, and he's pretty low-hanging fruit. Still Burton doesn't deserve that from the franchise. It' one thing for The Boondocks to talk smack about Geordi. It's another thing for a Star Trek show to do it. Not cool.

The other joke that hit me wrong was the reminder of what a terrible episode Star Trek: The Next Generation's "Masks" was. Season 7 of Next Generation is not something I'd call overrated. Not a ton of Trekkies love it. What I will say is it was and remains the biggest let-down of that series. People will remember the season for "Parallels" and "The Pegasus" (both great episodes) as well as the single greatest series finale in Star Trek of all time (still) in "All Good Things...". But Season 7 was the last season, a farewell tour for the fans, and they wasted most of those precious hours on nonsense that didn't matter. There is nothing more Season 7 about Next Gen Season 7 than hyping Picard finding his long-lost son, only to reveal in the episode they aren't actually related, wasting another precious hour before the series was gone. And there was really no bigger waste of time during that season than "Masks". What kills me is that it contains one of Brent Spiner's best performances for Data ever, and as far as failures go, at least it swung for the fences and missed, unlike TNG's "Lower Decks" (not to be confused for this show) or "Sub Rosa" which were simply horrible the entire way through. But as well received as that series finale was, the biggest thing I remember about watching that season over the air was being constantly disappointed week in and week out. If somebody ever tries to tell you The Next Generation is a better show than Deep Space Nine, remind them DS9 used their final season to go for absolute broke, while Next Gen utterly wasted theirs. And that's not a fun thing to be reminded of.

At first I thought is was cool Shaxs and T'Ana have a secret romance we've never heard about. But this show being this show turns it gross instead so I'm scowling instead of happy.

I think my favorite moment of the episode was Mariner making fun of money for being worthless pieces of paper with no intrinsic value. That's one of the fun things about the future suggest humanity has evolved past using money (with each other at least). Mariner can state a truth that is true for her, that is actually true for REAL if you think about it. We take after Beast Boy on Teen Titans Go and start paying for pizza slices with bees, the autocrats would be screwed BECAUSE paper money has no actual value. It only does because everyone agrees that. If everyone decided differently, things could get messy. And the reason Bitcoin and cryptocurrency isn't an actual threat to the oligarchy is because deep down, nobody believes it's real money. And it's the belief in the value that makes money valuable to begin with it. Without it, it's going to go sideways as often as cryptocurrency stocks do.

I like that Shaxs and T'Ana use one of those boring Hologram programs from the 1940's that Captain Picard always made me say "You've gotta be kidding me that he finds this exciting." Because they take on the roles of the murderous gangsters instead of a private eye, it IS actually fun for the first time ever. What the HELL is wrong with the cast of The Next Generation and Voyager? They literally had the greatest videogame system ever devised and they used it to solve dime-store roleplaying mysteries. I blame Gene Roddenberry actually. It was his idea, and it was one of the hackiest ideas he ever had. Only the crew playing and listening to symphonies is worse. Or is it? Maybe they are simply equally bad. I don't recognize a future as boring as Gene posited as being remotely positive. If Dixon Hill is the greatest videogame available, I'll prefer to live in the era of Donald Trump. For real. That's how strongly about that I feel. So, yeah, Holodecks suck. Lower Decks is the first Star Trek show to show the characters using them right.

All in all, I disliked the episode because it strongly reminded me of the franchise's worst faults. I think that is to be expected in a meta-comedy, but for some reason I don't usually find the series too distasteful in that respect. So it hitting me that way this week was unusual. *1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Trek: Lower Decks "Reflections"

I really can't hazard too educated a guess as to what happened in the cover-up with Rutherford and his implants, but whoever the guilty Starfleet party is, I hope it's somebody we've already heard of.

This episode pointed out that Starfleet keeps changing the uniforms, and despite claims of being peaceful and anti-military, it actually has a pseudo-Navy motif, and that Conspiracy Butt Bugs were actually a thing. Frankly, I believe the Conspiracy Butt Bugs from the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation are probably Star Trek's second loosest end of the Rick Berman era (the first being the still unrevealed identity of Futureguy on Enterprise). Unlike Futureguy, I can totally picture this show returning to something that gross and ludicrous someday.

Conspiracy theorists have a field day over what happened to Sisko. What's great is that there was actually some controversy there between the producers and Avery Brooks, so it's a smart thing to put up for debate. I also greatly enjoyed Rutherford's meta speculation about an alternate timeline where Kirk and Spock shared some weird cinematic chemistry. See, he doesn't actually know the Kelvin Timeline exists. But we do, which is why it's funny.

A Starfleet sign-up booth totally makes sense being a thing, and it also totally makes sense this is the first show we'd see it in. This is a common-sense that I like seeing because I don't think Gene Roddenberry was wise enough to understand it would be necessary. I think Gene mistakenly believed EVERYONE wanted to be in Starfleet and that the organization sold itself due solely to its righteousness. I've mentioned Roddenberry was a problematic producer, right? It's the fact that he could never envision a Starfleet membership sign-up booth that is a big sign of that.

This mentioned the EMH Doctor spending 70 years in the Delta Quadrant. I know some of Voyager was a bit hinky about his timeline, but that seems a really weird thing to solidify into canon.

I liked it, but I was more intrigued with what the episode promised for the future, than satisfied by how the episode itself played out. ***1/2.

Neo Ultra Mike

"Reflections" I gotta say I really dug this one. It's pretty clear they are doing a really slow burn on what exactly is the deal with Rutherford's cyborg implant which we knew was an issue as well as even in the season one finale not something he actually asked for but I really like getting this big piece of the puzzle. Granted the whole mirror with his older self taking over felt a bit Moon Knight ish (yeah I know this was probably made far before that series came out and this trope has been done tons of time that's just what first came to mind seeing it) but I like Rutherford realizing he could mess with his other self by messing with the implant and then finding out what his older self was life and them having a race to see who would be in control. Like it was obviously the Rutherford we've been following was going to win (and I like the character though you have to admit how f'ed up it'd be if original Rutherford won and for at least awhile was the main personality of a character we've been following who was totally different for 2 and half seasons) but I appreciate him not only showing he had stability by actually having friends he could call in but also being the bigger man and saving his younger self and yeah getting that piece of the puzzle. I admit Younger Rutherford's attitude was also pretty funny but this was a plot I liked more for the characterization and ideas set up. Like Lower Decks is a comedy but it's also Star Trek and about ideas and character and exploration.

Though yeah the subplot was pretty much just an excuse for jokes and I really dug it. Again I am glad we are focusing on Ransom pushing Mariner by having him stay in the booth and not try and go off on anyone else and Mariner constantly being undermined by this archaeologist chick (I know she had a name and it will probably be important later but hasn't yet clicked into my mind) and then later by the other people around. And though there was a good joke eary on mocking the reboot continuity I loved all the annoying other boothers talking about butt bug aliens and "how many times have you gone back in time to save the world" "4 maybe 5 times at most" and talking about all the various alien encounters or the constant changing in uniforms and Brad losing his cool when they took one of his pins and going off on all of them on how great Starfleet is and how annoying they are. Like I am glad they are mixing up the dynamic by showing not only does Brad have a temper (of things he would be passionate about) but it not just biting him in the butt either with Ransom admitting he appreciated him standing up for Starfleet. And yeah with Mariner holding on that contact info it's clear this will come into play again. Either 3rd season finale or later if they also want to play the long game but again really solid ep. Honestly outside of "Least Dangerous Game" been really digging this season and this is another good episode... have a feeling no one who gave Lower Decks a chance realizes that even though everyone who loves next Generation says "oh that show only got good in season 3" but hey those of us still watching appreciate it.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Trek: Lower Decks "Hear All, Trust Nothing"

A visit to Deep Space Nine is cool, but part of me would have rather seen that series return as envisioned by the "Lost" Season 8 premiere conjured up by the DS9 writers in the documentary "What We Left Behind: Looking Back At Star Trek: Deep Space Nine". Now considering the timeline to this show is more recent to the idea of the Berman era (it seems to be set a little bit after Star Trek: Nemesis), instead instead of a couple of decades later like Star Trek: Picard, I guess that scenario is still possible. But I have mixed feelings for that reason.

Also should point out that the show got a continuity point wrong (which is rare). Shaxs and Kira could NOT have been in the Bajoran Resistance together. Kira was in the Shakaar cell, and with the exception of Shakaar himself, every single other Resistance cell member that survived the Cardassian Occupation was killed in the DS9 episode "The Darkness And The Light". Another thing that bothers me about that is that the franchise does a lot of "All Bajorans seem to know each other," jive and it always has. I know Bajorans aren't real people, but the notion feels like a stereotype of sorts anyways.

I'm not happy with the loss handed to Quark at the end either. Frankly, I liked the idea that he has developed a sense of morality regarding the horrors of the Dominion War. I don't dig the series suggesting instead he was trying to protect his stolen patent. And when he says he has principles, and either Kira or Freeman says "No, you don't," they're WRONG. Quark was the most principled character on Deep Space Nine. Yes, they were Ferengi principles, but he was a LOT more orthodox about them than the rest of the other characters were their own professed values, including the members of the Federation. The thing I love about this show is how much it loves the history of Star Trek. I'm starting to get why this is the first time we've seen Deep Space Nine characters. I think it's the one part of this franchise the writers don't either like or understand.

This episode WAS good enough to fix a MAJOR DS9 oversight. For the era of The Next Generation, DS9, and Voyager, Rick Berman LOATHED showing minor aliens from the original series. Andorians, Tellarites, and Orions have all been mentioned on those series. But they were never really seen again until Enterprise. It always struck me as weird that DS9 was the thing in the franchise that introduced the Orion Syndicate, but it never ONCE showed a single Orion member of it. The Orion stuff in this episode was appreciated by me for that reason.

I like the idea that the reason Jennifer wanted Mariner to meet her friends is so she could take them down a few pegs. That's great. Her stunning them all and making them afraid of her is great too.

This episode explicitly states that Tendi does NOT possess the Orion female pheromones as seen on Star Trek: Enterprise, and tells us not all Orion females have them. I'm glad that was addressed at least once.

The resolution to Boimler at the Dabo table was terrific too. The Ferengi Pit Boss is getting more and more desperate with how much he's winning, and sneakily thinks he'll trick him with a gift certificate in Quark bucks... which Boimler happily takes not because he's stupid, but because the Federation doesn't use money. The Ferengi's disgust at that is palpable. What's interesting is that you wouldn't know the Federation doesn't use money on most of DS9 (although Jake Sisko has claimed that before). That specific series had the Federation do actual commerce with other species that DO use money, so they had something called "the Federation credit". It was easier to show a money-free society on The Next Generation because their missions didn't really involve Federation trade.

If the episode were better, I'd forgive it for stepping on the toes of a possible DS9 sequel series. But I don't think it really gets the morality of DS9 all too well, judging by characters believing Quark has no principles, or even remembers the canon when it suggests Shaxs and Kira were in the same Resistance cell. Cool they got back Nana Visitor and Armin Shimerman though. **1/2.

Neo Ultra Mike

"Hear All, Trust Nothing" - I'm not going to lie; This does feel like the first episode that as at most a very very very VERYYYYYYYYYYYYY casual fan of other Star Trek series, I feel super under prepared for. Especially the plot with Captain Freeman needing to negotiate with Kira and all the talk of Quark's bar expanding locations throughout the system and the aftermath of the Dominion War. Because I've seen reviews of Star Trek DS9 and like I think a friend showed me bits of it years upon years ago but it feels like this is a "hey let's have an actual proper crossover with another series and see where they're at" sort of thing. Like yeah Ryker was in the season 1 Finale and a couple of episodes of season two but the most they went into his history was a couple of his corny behaviors and the fact he knew the Lower Decks crew. This one is going into a lot more details about what happened which probably is cool for super fans but me I feel a bit intimidated. Though at the same time even as not really a fan there is something so cool about this show thanks to the art of animation getting to continue things from over 20 years ago and actually still make it not only feel like a part of their universe but the continued Star Trek universe. Like super major props to the team for that one and again as someone who is an outsider I could be wrong about this but it feels like this would absolutely fit. I mean from what I know of Quark the idea of him taking parts in order to build his own copyrighted regulator in order to better sell his bar makes perfect sense and I really like the whole "oh you saved me" "no YOU saved me" exchange between Shacks and Kira. Also I really like the twist they did with Brad's whole gambling arc since you think at some point "no he's going to lose everything and going to totally screw up and this bold boilnger is going to blow up in his face" (I'm still guessing it will at some point but I am glad it's still brought up as his defacto attitude now) that no he did keep winning but traded it just for credit not the actual gold which is fine with him since as even said in a couple of episodes and this one, money is such a mostly useless artifact for Starfleet.

I did connect a lot better with the other plots though as they were more about characters I knew. They did a couple of other plots about Tendi's Orion past but I appreciate this one with an Orion trying to act like this bada** pirate but only knowing about Orions through story getting under her skin at first until he drops he was born in Ohio and actually showing more of her awesome skills especially with the knife. And though it was a fun tease in another episode I do appreciate them finally having a subplot with Mariner and Jenn'ifer and Jenn actually knowing her friends would annoy Mariner and her wanting to freak them out and be the booming confident assured sly ass in front of them. Since yeah that isn't something you'd usually expect someone with those kind of friends but I get it and I like the joke of them realizing "wait this will look bad if we aren't the only one tased" and kissing before tasering themselves. So yeah fun episode. I think I would appreciate this one a lot more if I had watched more of DS9 as it feels like a solid tribute to the show and props on them for doing so with the characters there it'd make sense to tribute to. Heh since Stewart came back for Picard and Kate Mulgrew's Janeway has a presence in Prodigy will Avery Books Sisquo turn up in another Star Trek series either this one or another one? I mean seems likely at this point to have him appear in some form down the line.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Star Trek: Lower Decks "Hear All, Trust Nothing"

A visit to Deep Space Nine is cool, but part of me would have rather seen that series return as envisioned by the "Lost" Season 8 premiere conjured up by the DS9 writers in the documentary "What We Left Behind: Looking Back At Star Trek: Deep Space Nine". Now considering the timeline to this show is more recent to the idea of the Berman era (it seems to be set a little bit after Star Trek: Nemesis), instead instead of a couple of decades later like Star Trek: Picard, I guess that scenario is still possible. But I have mixed feelings for that reason.

Also should point out that the show got a continuity point wrong (which is rare). Shaxs and Kira could NOT have been in the Bajoran Resistance together. Kira was in the Shakaar cell, and with the exception of Shakaar himself, every single other Resistance cell member that survived the Cardassian Occupation was killed in the DS9 episode "The Darkness And The Light". Another thing that bothers me about that is that the franchise does a lot of "All Bajorans seem to know each other," jive and it always has. I know Bajorans aren't real people, but the notion feels like a stereotype of sorts anyways.

I'm not happy with the loss handed to Quark at the end either. Frankly, I liked the idea that he has developed a sense of morality regarding the horrors of the Dominion War. I don't dig the series suggesting instead he was trying to protect his stolen patent. And when he says he has principles, and either Kira or Freeman says "No, you don't," they're WRONG. Quark was the most principled character on Deep Space Nine. Yes, they were Ferengi principles, but he was a LOT more orthodox about them than the rest of the other characters were their own professed values, including the members of the Federation. The thing I love about this show is how much it loves the history of Star Trek. I'm starting to get why this is the first time we've seen Deep Space Nine characters. I think it's the one part of this franchise the writers don't either like or understand.

This episode WAS good enough to fix a MAJOR DS9 oversight. For the era of The Next Generation, DS9, and Voyager, Rick Berman LOATHED showing minor aliens from the original series. Andorians, Tellarites, and Orions have all been mentioned on those series. But they were never really seen again until Enterprise. It always struck me as weird that DS9 was the thing in the franchise that introduced the Orion Syndicate, but it never ONCE showed a single Orion member of it. The Orion stuff in this episode was appreciated by me for that reason.

I like the idea that the reason Jennifer wanted Mariner to meet her friends is so she could take them down a few pegs. That's great. Her stunning them all and making them afraid of her is great too.

This episode explicitly states that Tendi does NOT possess the Orion female pheromones as seen on Star Trek: Enterprise, and tells us not all Orion females have them. I'm glad that was addressed at least once.

The resolution to Boimler at the Dabo table was terrific too. The Ferengi Pit Boss is getting more and more desperate with how much he's winning, and sneakily thinks he'll trick him with a gift certificate in Quark bucks... which Boimler happily takes not because he's stupid, but because the Federation doesn't use money. The Ferengi's disgust at that is palpable. What's interesting is that you wouldn't know the Federation doesn't use money on most of DS9 (although Jake Sisko has claimed that before). That specific series had the Federation do actual commerce with other species that DO use money, so they had something called "the Federation credit". It was easier to show a money-free society on The Next Generation because their missions didn't really involve Federation trade.

If the episode were better, I'd forgive it for stepping on the toes of a possible DS9 sequel series. But I don't think it really gets the morality of DS9 all too well, judging by characters believing Quark has no principles, or even remembers the canon when it suggests Shaxs and Kira were in the same Resistance cell. Cool they got back Nana Visitor and Armin Shimerman though. **1/2.

To be fair, Kira and Shaxs could have been in two different resistance cells that work together, and near the end of Deep Space 9, Quark goes on a whole rant that Ferengi society is becoming too much like the Federation and promising to make his bar a bastion of traditional Fenerngi values, so this type of backsliding makes sense. Quark has limits, but cheating and stealing are not it, its more like not being willing to sell WMDs to genocidal dictators, that is where his limits are.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Trek: Lower Decks "A Mathematically Perfect Redemption"

What the HELL was THAT?!

I can't even. As far as wastes of Star Trek episodes go, it will never top Star Trek: Voyager's "Course: Oblivion!". But that is literally the only other episode in this franchise's near 60 history that I felt was more pointless than that. Star Trek has done worse plenty of times. But Star Trek actually not mattering is a rare and unforgivable failing. 0.

Neo Ultra Mike

""A Mathematically Perfect Redemption"" - I admit this is an episode I like more for the idea and what it did then most of the overall jokes and points. Like some of Peanut Hamper's comments about the bird culture especially the singing and how she would mate with the prince were sort of funny and the idea of her talking about the last thing she'd want to do is report back to Star Fleet even after getting stranded for weeks upon months but this is also especially with the third act reveal, not a very appeasing character to be stuck with the entire duration of the story. I guess they were able to put the Cerritos crew in for a bit in the second half but the first half is mostly hers and yeah I can certainly see this grating some people the wrong way. Especially for a character that was suppose to be a one and done sort of twist joke "oh look at this seemingly incredible device that could theoretically come in to save the day... nope it doesn't want to off itself so just leaves" and yeah it being abandoned and seemingly destroyed was the topper of the bit. So having a full episode seeming redeeming this feels off but... again then we get to the full idea of what happened and I admit I have a fondness for that.

Though I do enjoy good redemption stories and characters obviously changing and being better then they were, there's something very nice about a good "screw you we are NOT doing that" redempting with them still being a hole which can work really well. Granted it only has the replay value the first time you watch it and loses it's edge after (see the Ed Edd n Eddy Christmas special) but honestly I dig the idea that Peanut Hamper seemingly went through this major arc even finding love and a new home and learning responsibility and to truly care for others... but no it was a scam it was playing just to look like the hero. That all's cool and the idea of this teaming up with that other computer from the previous season I admit is intriguing though again you do have to watch the episode and again focusing a lot on one note or annoying characters and only the occassional decent joke I can get people not digging this one but I at least enjoy the idea behind it. And it being a unique experiment. I wouldn't suggest the show trying this at all again especially in this season but as a one off it does oddly work for me... again idea wise. This is NOT one I would ever want to rewatch so on that regard maybe it's one of the lower of the season.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Trek: Lower Decks "Crisis Point 2: Paradoxus"

It went places.

For one thing it was nice to FINALLY see George Takei return to Star Trek. Yay!

Pointed slam at Kelvin Timeline is pointed.

I loved Rutherford saying he loved the graphics. Because we crazily did back in the 1980's. What we were thinking? I also love that when the pants don't fit, he suggests knocking out bigger punks.

I thought the idea of William's death was an interesting thing to explore with Boimler, although the Section 31 ending sort of wrecks it. Why DOES a clandestine organization trying to stay hidden within Starfleet have their own Uniforms and comm badges? Makes no damn sense.

Pretty good. ***1/2.

Neo Ultra Mike

"Crisis Point Two: Paradoxus" - You know when they showed a preview of this for some reason I thought the reveal of Boilner as the Captain was that it was his transport beam clone William being the actual captain, and didn't realize "oh wait this is actually a follow up on the holo deck movie plot from season one". Which yeah between this and the last season I'm guessing season 3 was fine sequalizing or re doing some plots from the first season now that the show had proved popular enough for at least 3 seasons. Admittedly that first Crisis Point story for a lot of fans is very divisive as yeah some people just do not like the idea of using a holodeck to let out such rage and aggression and work through your issue but... as someone who has some twisted violent thoughts they would never implament in real life the idea of living them out in a totally fake scenario I actually do find appeasing so didn't have an issue there with the plot. I think this one works better though as it does give the main crew all stuff to do that isn't just a one note gag. I really like the idea of Rutherford just playing along and having fun with the scenario but once Tendi got promoted to acting captain how much more seriously she was taking it and getting annoyed with Rutherford especially with the reveal she wants to eventually be captain. I do like of the main four it's Boilnger and Tendi who actually want to eventually be promoted to top position while Mariner and Rutherford probably wouldn't ever really want that (eh maybe Mariner at some point but certainly no point soon) and him helping out and I really thought the idea of switching the bomb with the origanmi time travel device after getting it was a cool way of wrapping up the plot. And there were great jokes mocking the whole timeline split of the JJ Abrhams movies and needing a romantic subplot or "eh I'm sure that hover bike chase wasn't that exciting" and Rutherford wanting to steal clothes to blend in.

I think what really made this one work and really cement it as one of the best certainly of this season is Boilnger's whole plot. I admit on a story telling level the idea of William dying doesn't sit well for me because yeah as characters it feels cheap to introduce these elements and not seemingly do all you can with them so I am glad they are still using him (more on that later) but on a narrative level I really do like the spiraling this sends Boilnger into with him questioning the meaning of life and of death and how he bails out on this movie just to follow this chance for answers... and then gets seeming pointless platitudes from this god being before getting an actual satisfying answer from of all people Sulu. I do like since it was seemingly a dream the ambiguity of how much was real because even as a very very VERY low level Star Trek fan I do know that in Star Trek Generations that Kirk wound up in the Nexus for awhile in that farm house like environment and had to leave it to help Picard stop Soran, so the idea of Sulu somehow finding it and living in it for the rest of his life I don't have a problem believing. But if you're like "wait how did Sulu find the Nexus" well it's a dream so they don't have to give an explanation. But what really sold this was Sulu talking about how seemingly random death can be and the best way to life is to life live to it's fullest and not be consumed thinking about death and do the best you can with your existance. Which honestly felt especially impactful since though this was probably recorded BEFORE Nichelle Nichols's passing you can still bet George Takei channeled the feelings of the other friends and associates he had lost who had played the original bridge crew into this performance which may wind up being the last role he has on Star Trek and doing so to encourage Boilnger and know his life has meaning just felt like a genuine moment. And I also appreciate how though deriding and insulting his movie when it was going massively offscript, Mariner going back and wanting to finish the film and cheer Boilnger up shows again how much she does care and though isn't the best at showing it is a good friend. And there were still good jokes from that alien they kept misprouncing the name having a swole figure and beating the map guy up and Boilnger's assault against the god's being platitudes.

So yeah solid stuff. Admittedly this one holds up so well because of it's emotional bit as though funny it's not as good as "Ventias" (IMHO still the high point of comedy for this series) but still a good ep and good sequel to the last Crisis point ep. And major props to this continues the mystery of whatever's happening with that 31 shadow oraganization now that William's a part of it and seemingly evil. Is that an act or is he really a bad Boilnger... yes I'm ending on that dumb question sue me.

Neo Ultra Mike

"Trusted Sources" - You know it's weird considering how many episodes of this show feel like lover letters or follow ups or even obscure in jokes to a lot of Star Trek's history, this is probably the first that made me really actually want to investigate what exactly they were talking about. Like I know the first season finale was built on referencing previous events and we just had a DS9 Crossover a few weeks back but I admit just something about how this one was phrased and what it was talking about made me go "wait really that happened? I want to know more about it" and looked up actually info on Next Generation "Symbiosis" which yeah was all about allegory for severe kind of drug uses... from what I was able to lap up not exactly subtle about it either but it was the late 80's so probably made sense not to be subtle. I do appreciate them using such an example for the whole "second contact" Program Freeman is trying to push and finding out the Onarans are actually doing very well now having been able to kick their addiction while Brekka apparently fell to the Breen which... again I had to look up to realize what their full deal is. But even as a Star Trek newbie it's pretty clear that Les Buenamigo is obviously working with the Breen so he can show off the incredible power of the Texas class automated ships and how useful they were so he can push that regiment on Starfleet that they probably weren't going to pass if they didn't have a deomnstration of it's use thus yeah putting the Cerritos at risk and you know totally being fine offing that one planet just for his own ambitions. Like they didn't really have him tip his hand that much in an annoyingly obvious way but that's pretty clearly what's going on especially since so much is pushed on what Carol is doing to push her ideal it'd make sense to really show off someone much worse managing to more at this point get away with it though sure he'll be caught in like the season 3 finale or something like that.

Though honestly what I appreciate and what is taken actually super seriously is Mariner's whole subplot. I appreciate to since we have known Mariner over the 3 seasons we would also naturally think "oh well she's just going to use this as an opportunity to bash Carol and all the issues with the ship because of how restrictive she's being" but yeah thinking about it now that she more openly admits not only how much she loves her mom and the crew it wouldn't make sense just to bad mouth them so I like the idea that's what everyone thinks because she was the only one who admitted to being openly candid, but then finding out she was being candidly nice while everyone else wasn't. But I appreciate it to because again this wasn't something peppered with a lot of jokes or overly quippy bits to ruin the seriousness of the situation. Like yeah Station 80 is portrayed as being a pretty awful place and Mariner gets some good lines like the 10 frowns thing but what really sold me between how quiet Jack get and Mariner's realization how serious her mom was just this was being treated as this big deal. Which it honestly is considering though there was this obvious threat throughout the show especially this season actually seeing it and it coming when Mariner technically didn't do anything wrong does make it fit. And honestly I appreciate to how Mariner doesn't want to do goodbyes knowing how tough they are based on what happened with her in other ships and her resignation of being let out. Like yeah it was pretty clear at that point the whole "hey remember that archaeologist woman from a few episodes ago who said if Mariner was ever sicked of Starfleet to work with her? Yeah obviously that was set up for a reason" so I knew the ep would end with either her and Mariner meeting up or already working together which the later showed but again even if this is resolved in the next episode it does show how seriously the situation and the rift formed was and it's been something the entire series has been building to as well so I appreciate how it was broken here and just seeing everyone's reaction made that feel so real.

Admittedly outside of some jokes like Jack hitting on the reporter or asking teh Onaras how much they benched, some of the interview bits, Lower Decks really wanting to do that pie eating contest or that bird pscyhologist being given acting captain and wanting to call his mee maw about it not a lot of bits but again the seriousness of Mariner's depature did really work for me. Like yeah we'll probably either see her join next time or at least sometime in season 4 (IMHO even if she had second thoughts it'd probably work better if she didn't join up again next episode though I don't know if they'd do that since when making season 3 I don't know if they knew they were getting a season 4 but eh season 2 ended on a cliffhanger and I don't think they knew season 3 was happening at that time either) but I appreciate the show making this choice feel real and feel like it did have weight. Like yeah Lower Decks is a comedy series but I do appreciate when it can be serious it can actually work especially on stuff that's been the foundation of the show like Mariner and Carol's relationship and how that could fracture in such a way.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Trek: Lower Decks "Trusted Sources"

I am curiously unfulfilled.

I actually liked the unresolved ending with Mariner. Freeman was SO out of line with her daughter, not even bothering to get her side of the story, you just knew she was wrong. And worse, she was punishing the one member of the crew who believed in her. So no, Mariner becoming Indiana Jones at the end didn't bug me. I'm sure they'll take it interesting places next week.

It was the mission of the week that bugged me.

"Symbiosis" is one of the worst episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. The notion that the cruel thing Picard did was in Ornara's best interest back then is a stretch at best. But what's worse for me is that we have no context about the Breen invasion of Brekka. How long they've occupied it, or even if Brekka's downfall has anything to do with how badly they treated the Ornarans. Let me be blunt: Those were like the PERFECT planets for the show to choose for a Second Contact, and both due for an actual update, and they both felt like major unfinished business from Next Gen. And yet, this episode raised even more questions that I didn't need or want raised. It pissed me off a bit.

Crewless starship? That will not end well. I also think that perhaps the Admiral was setting up Freeman to fail so he could show it off when it saved the day. It makes me think the news piece was a planned political hit job and the reporter was in on it. Some things about humanity simply never change.

We'll see how the season ends, but I have mixed feelings about this episode. ***.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Star Trek: Lower Decks "Trusted Sources"

I am curiously unfulfilled.

I actually liked the unresolved ending with Mariner. Freeman was SO out of line with her daughter, not even bothering to get her side of the story, you just knew she was wrong. And worse, she was punishing the one member of the crew who believed in her. So no, Mariner becoming Indiana Jones at the end didn't bug me. I'm sure they'll take it interesting places next week.

It was the mission of the week that bugged me.

"Symbiosis" is one of the worst episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. The notion that the cruel thing Picard did was in Ornara's best interest back then is a stretch at best. But what's worse for me is that we have no context about the Breen invasion of Brekka. How long they've occupied it, or even if Brekka's downfall has anything to do with how badly they treated the Ornarans. Let me be blunt: Those were like the PERFECT planets for the show to choose for a Second Contact, and both due for an actual update, and they both felt like major unfinished business from Next Gen. And yet, this episode raised even more questions that I didn't need or want raised. It pissed me off a bit.

Crewless starship? That will not end well. I also think that perhaps the Admiral was setting up Freeman to fail so he could show it off when it saved the day. It makes me think the news piece was a planned political hit job and the reporter was in on it. Some things about humanity simply never change.

We'll see how the season ends, but I have mixed feelings about this episode. ***.

To be fair the context you are looking could be provided in the next episode.

Everyone is suspecting that the Admiral is crooked, but how crooked is he? Did he just have that reporter do hit piece on Freeman and send her to a planet where he the Breen were present just to show off the Texas Class ship or did he hire the Breen to wipe out Brekka so he can justify building a lot of Texas class ships? It's weird that the Breen would only conquer one planet in the system and not the other, so it seems like something is up.

I hope they visit other stupid planets from Next Gen and the Orginal series.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Trek: Lower Decks "The Stars Of Night"

Man, that was great. And what I loved is that aside from the Admiral Picard shout-out (which I loved, great reveal for the anonymous benefactor) it focused entirely on the characters exclusive to this show. It sort of took a break from the famous guest cast returns and just finished its season its way.

And while it wasn't EXACTLY a cliffhanger, I DID love the Badgey tag.

I knew the Admiral was no good. I suspected he hired the Breen (although it turns out he didn't) and that he was in cahoots with the reporter from last week (although he wasn't). I AM surprised he was both behind what happened on Deep Space Nine and what happened to Rutherford's memory. The guy was better and worse than I thought in many ways.

The ending of all of the California Class ships coming to the rescue was beyond rewarding.

This show had an amazing finale. I hope there is a Season Four. *****.

Neo Ultra Mike

"The Stars At Night" - You can tell the team really likes the idea of having big epic finales that drop a lot of the comedy and goofiness a lot of regular episodes have for more bombast spectacle and honestly though in terms of sheer scope and edge to your seat excitement and twists the first season is probably the better, I do appreciate how the other seasons handle this. The second season was all about high level problem solving of this seemingly impossible situation and here it's showing the power of unity through an often over looked group of Star Ships in Star Fleet banding together to show just how well they work and I appreciate that. I also like how yeah though obviously Buenamigo was behind this I like his rationale of "there is literally nothing really I can do to showcase much more advancements then really out of the box breaking protocol missions" and yeah his own Texas class ships turning against him. I will give credit I didn't think he was behind Rutherford's whole turning into a cyborg plot and how that paid off but I really like how that was used as well as Tendi scanning for life actually being the thing that tips off the Texas class as not being good for such missions in a lot of cases so well done there. I also really liked paying off the runner of Shax finally getting to detonate the warp core and that taking out two of the ships and everyone cheering for him as well as Mariner actually being bummed that Petra's operation wasn't shady due to wanting to go back to Starfleet and looking for an excuse. That's a good subversion. I guess like I said last time since the team weren't sure ahead of time if they were getting a third season they didn't want to end on Mariner not being on board the Cerritos again so it was sort of a quick turn around especially after how big a deal was made of her leaving last time. but I do appreciate Mariner realizing "yeah you didn't trust me because of how many times I proved to be untrustworthy so I do need to be better on that" and yeah the tag of Badgey of all things coming back.

Admittedly there were only a few good jokes of Brad's imitating of the bridge crew and the guy whose planet only dropped in every couple of hours wanting the ship to see him and "this isn't one of those things where you say you're okay but actually aren't is it?" but hey trying to delve into a more action pack scope for the finale and I can get behind that. Not a great outstanding ep but still a good one for a pretty good season. I don't think there was any episode I hated (even the Peanut Hamper episode I at least appreciated the "gotcha" aspect of a character not learning a lesson or arc) but I don't know if any reached the top tier of "Veritas" especially in humor but eh still a worth while season of this show.

Oh and to answer Fone Bone's question yes there will be a season four it was green lit and is being worked on so will likely be out next year where we'll also supposedly see

Live action Boinger and Mariner on Star Trek Brand New Worlds.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Doctor's referrals are the new bane of my existence.
Aiko's outfit is the biggest reason she's the first character I've gone with for my celebration of Magical Doremi. It's something I would totally wear, and it would be super easy to cosplay.

ODS-EP34-057.png
also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

Featured Posts