"Star Trek: Strange New Worlds" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

the greenman

I'm on board with this interpretation, more than Zoe. Yes, Zoe favors Ms. Nichols from that time, but this is more the character. Looking forward to it. Though still not in 100% in favor of pushing Kirks crew in so soon.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It's a continuity mess. Spock was literally supposed to be the first alien integrated with humans in Star Trek. Kurtzman has always played fast and loose about that, but a Vulcan on a human ship used to actually be a huge deal. Discovery's thing with Saru never sat right with me for that reason.

PicardMan

Staff member
It's a continuity mess. Spock was literally supposed to be the first alien integrated with humans in Star Trek. Kurtzman has always played fast and loose about that, but a Vulcan on a human ship used to actually be a huge deal. Discovery's thing with Saru never sat right with me for that reason.

I thought that T'Pol and Phlox in Enterprise retconned that a long time ago, or at least reconned it to where Spock was the first integrated human in the Federation era. We already know that Paramount + Trek is very retcon happy, but Saru was one of the good things to come from Discovery. If Discovery and Strange New Worlds were set in a third timeline, they'd probably be better received. Looking at the teaser, Ethan Peck seems to be channeling Zachery Quinto more than Leonard Nimoy and the influence of the reboot movies is still seen. Continuity doesn't matter to Paramount + Trek.

the greenman

I thought that T'Pol and Phlox in Enterprise retconned that a long time ago, or at least reconned it to where Spock was the first integrated human in the Federation era. We already know that Paramount + Trek is very retcon happy, but Saru was one of the good things to come from Discovery. If Discovery and Strange New Worlds were set in a third timeline, they'd probably be better received. Looking at the teaser, Ethan Peck seems to be channeling Zachery Quinto more than Leonard Nimoy and the influence of the reboot movies is still seen. Continuity doesn't matter to Paramount + Trek.
At this point we're pretty much waiting on the official Star Trek reboot. What makes it interesting, they can build crew in this series I guess.

This leaves Scotty, McCoy, Sulu, Yeoman Rand, and Nurse Chapel.

PicardMan

Staff member
At this point we're pretty much waiting on the official Star Trek reboot. What makes it interesting, they can build crew in this series I guess.

Or threeboot as the Chris Pine movies were the first reboot. Shocked at how high the audience scores for those are as there was so much salt over the first two being glorified Star Wars movies in a Star Trek skin as J. J. Abrams had his heart set on doing a Star Wars movie. I guess the grittiness of Discovery and PIcard were a bigger turn off than the Star Wars esque tone of the Pine movies. Still hoping Strange New Worlds can somehow save the franchise despite the warning signs it might repeat the two earlier shows' mistakes.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I thought that T'Pol and Phlox in Enterprise retconned that a long time ago, or at least reconned it to where Spock was the first integrated human in the Federation era.
T'Pol and Phlox weren't actual members of Starfleet. That was the distinction.

the greenman

After all this time? Not really. It doesn't bother me one way or the other.

That's my point. Over 50 years and multiple Vulcan characters, and no one ever mentioned Vulcans have surnames. That's fitting in the current laziness and incessant change state of mind.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
That's my point. Over 50 years and multiple Vulcan characters, and no one ever mentioned Vulcans have surnames. That's fitting in the current laziness and incessant change state of mind.

You have a point, but I can't get too fussed. This is how long-running franchises operate. You run it long enough, all of the mystique wears out.

PicardMan

Staff member
You have a point, but I can't get too fussed. This is how long-running franchises operate. You run it long enough, all of the mystique wears out.

Star Trek still hasn't done anything as crazy as the timeless child twist in Doctor Who.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I just want to say that I totally called it that Diamond White could voice Moon Girl 3 years in advance.

Today i learned that David Cronenberg (The Fly, Scanners) has a son who’s also a director and i saw a very psychedelic arthouse film made by him called Infinity Pool. I hope he becomes a more high profile director some day.

I wouldn’t recommend it to people who don’t watch arthouse movies though. It’s also very adult-oriented if you know what i mean
Update on the M&M's situation. He has reliable sources in this video.
Review Metabee wrote on DaGangOfToonz's profile.
is there any chance you are stoonsarchvie/sheetposter

Featured Posts