Strawberry Shortcake: Berry In The Big City (YouTube/Netflix Series)

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Why I didn't create a thread for the show sooner, I have no idea. Anyway, Strawberry Shortcake: Berry In The Big City is the newest series in the Strawberry Shortcake franchise, released to YouTube on September 18, 2021. The series was developed by My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic writer Michael Vogel and produced by Wildbrain, with Daniel Ingram doing the music. Episodes are typically 4 minutes long, though some are 8 minutes.

The show focuses on Strawberry Shortcake (voiced by Ana Sani) as she moves from Berryville to Big Apple City to live with her Aunt Praline (also voiced by Ana Sani) so that she can be the best baker ever. She works at the Berry Works alongside her friends Orange Blossom (voiced by Bahia Watson), Lemon Meringue (voiced by Andrea Libman, who previously voiced her in the 2010 Berry Bitty Adventures series), Lime Chiffon (voiced by Margarita Valderrama), Blueberry Muffin (voiced by Diana Kaarina), and Huckleberry Pie (voiced by Vincent Tong). Of course, she also has to deal with people who aren't so friendly, such as the manager Bread Pudding (voiced by Chirag Naik), as well as the duo of Raspberry Tart and Sour Grapes (respectively voiced by Tabitha St. German and Meg Roe).

The series was made available on Netflix on April 15, 2022, and includes episodes that weren't released yet on YouTube, but will be released weekly. The most notable additions to the Netflix episodes are that each episode is grouped as 2 4 minute segments (making for 20 8 minute episodes instead of 40 4 minute episodes) , and they have the theme song and end credits that aren't on YouTube but are shown on Family Jr in Canada.

In November, it was announced that there would be 4 CGI specials being made for Netflix coming out in 2023, each focusing on a different season. My Little Pony director Jim Miller is the supervising director on them.

That's all that I have at the moment. What do you think of the show?

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Talk about taking the world by storm. It also seems like season 2 comes out this summer, and the show will be available on multiple streaming services.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

The show got 2 nominations at the Leo Awards.

Screenshot_20220527-173920.png

CookieS

I was one of the 4 minute segments and thought it was a cute show. It seems to be perfectly targeted for children and is much more grounded in a reality (Strawberry Shortcake doesn't have any "berry magic" to my knowledge). I'm sure kids will dig it.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The show's target audience is still 3-6 year old kids, and as such, is in the same ballpark as shows you'd see on Disney Junior and Nick Jr. It's also reflected in the channels it airs on internationally, such as Family Jr in Canada and Tiny Pop in the UK. Also of note is how the first time it was uploaded to a Netflix YouTube channel, it was for Netflix Jr.

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
A fun little show. Added episodes onto my Playlist for DC Super Hero Girls.

Oh and the episode where Lemon Meringue expresses discomfort for their equivalent to Valentines Day? You might say she is sour on the holiday:D.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It looks like season 2 comes out tomorrow based on a reminder for a new episode being put up.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So it's only now that a trailer came out, albeit it's just 15 seconds. At least the new clips look promising.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
Super-Berry was fun.
1. Points to Orange Blossom for keeping up with the floppies. If not for Strawberry coming around, I would be more critical mind cause she dared to dismiss comic books originally :lol: .

2. I enjoy the occasional edgelord fare myself and don't begrudge people who enjoy that stuff more often. I just think it would be ironic if Strawberry's entertainment choices were heavy on that.:eek:

3. So since this was centered on superheroes I shared this joke with someone on Deviantart:
If someone told you that I was just your average, ordinary berry, not a care in the world... somebody lied.

Kind of a joke that falls into place as while not my intention, it works as a reference to "No Ordinary Berry".

Now my DC variation:
It's a Blueberry, it's a partridgeberry. No, it's Super-Berry.

Yes, I think so much about making a mediocre joke that I looked up to see if any berries started with the letter p. Did I ever claim to have a life?:D

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The most recent episode was apparently inspired by an experience Michael Vogel had, where he had a bad day and was falling behind on scripts.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So when watching the episode "The Fashion Show", I noticed something. The initial dress that Fluffy Chiffon designed for Bonaffee is light blue, pink, and white, the colors of the trans flag. It's almost the exact same color scheme as Strawberry's main outfit (light blue jacket, white shirt, and pink hat and hair). When Bonaffee (the fashion model of the episode) shows up, the new outfit she wears at the end (since the initial outfit got ruined because of the Purple PieMan) still incorporates elements of the original outfit. She calls herself a trans berry, and has a trans voice actress (Felicia Bonee). This can all be chalked up to Michael Vogel's involvement (his Twitter profile has he/him and they/them pronouns), and with how Canada (where Wildbrain is located) is more lenient when it comes to LGBTQ content.

Screenshot_20220918-060726.png

Screenshot_20220918-060753.png

zoombie

I have a couple of question / theories of what could happen in season 2.

I know this is a show for young kids, and the characters are very young, still giving the nature of the world, and this group gaining more representation of late, you think Plum Puddin' is going to be or is trans. Or will this show stay away from that subject matter giving the ages of the characters, Plum can figure that out at an older age? being the thought process.

Giving this season is probably be a big Sour Grapes season, you think Sweet Grapes is going to appear if she exists at all in this universe. Or they go do a split personality thing with Sour. Could a personality changing ray be too out there for this universe. Or an amnesia episode in which Sour gets hit in the head. Though I hope that they go the split personality route here if Sweet appears, I want Sour development to be independent of Sweet.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It's fitting how the announcement for season 3 came out around the time of the show's 1 year anniversary.

Last edited:

zoombie

So now that season 3 is official , I have an idea for a season 3 antagonist. I know anthropomorphic animals are not a thing in this world, still I think it would be cool if we had the Get Along Gang as antagonists.

If someone can make the Banana Splits horror movie villains, than why not?

There are episodes of this show like "Lemon's Names In Light" or "Will You Be My Lemontime" in which the person in the right would have been the opposite in the Get Along Gang.

Last edited:

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
So now that season 3 is official , I have an idea for a season 3 antagonist. I know anthropomorphic animals are not a thing in this world, still I think it would be cool if we had the Get Along Gang as antagonists.

If someone can make the Banana Splits horror movie villains, than why not?

There are episodes of this show like "Lemon's Names In Light" or "Will You Be My Lemontime" in which the person in the right would have been the opposite in the Get Along Gang.
But then they'd have to change their collective name to the Get It Wrong Gang, or something similar.

I don't like the Banana Splits being turned into horror movie antagonists at all (I wish that for their Five Nights at Freddy's knockoff movie, that WB had gone with the Skatebirds instead since nobody remembers or cares about those characters), but honestly, I don't care enough about the Get Along Gang to fight for their honor. I will say that anthropomorphic animals wearing clothes who think they're people existing in the Strawberry Shortcake universe would be just plain bizarre.

zoombie

But then they'd have to change their collective name to the Get It Wrong Gang, or something similar.

I don't like the Banana Splits being turned into horror movie antagonists at all (I wish that for their Five Nights at Freddy's knockoff movie, that WB had gone with the Skatebirds instead since nobody remembers or cares about those characters), but honestly, I don't care enough about the Get Along Gang to fight for their honor. I will say that anthropomorphic animals wearing clothes who think they're people existing in the Strawberry Shortcake universe would be just plain bizarre.

Well the world of Strawberry Shortcake already has the food theme and food plays a big role in it, and we know how to defeat those like the Get Along Gang and that involves pizza, and you know what I am talking about.

Okay on a more realistic side here, so Sour Grapes is Pieman's nice, you don't think it is possible that Sour full name is Sour Grapes Jr. and her mom is the OG Sour Grapes, and someone we might see in the future. That I could actually see happen in season 3, original adult Sour Grapes.

That is one thing I am liking about this show, it wants to bring as many characters from as many previous incarnations as possible into this show.

Last edited:

zoombie

So the show runner is a former My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic writer, and it shows, and that is good. I hope though in season 2, Raspberry Tart is not giving the Starlight Glimmer treatment. I am all for redemption and stuff, but not when it becomes the sole thing about the character. It seems 90 % of Starlight's focused episodes it was about her being a former villain, and woe is me .

I have been on Yu Gi Oh kick of late, watching old series (mostly 5Ds), so my mind might be bias towards everything gets settled with a match, instead of talking things out and former rivals become jobbers for new rivals. I wonder is Raspberry going to have a bake off match with Pieman and be the sacrificial lamb to build him up more for Strawberry to defeat later on.

Though if they want to get her a win, perhaps a bake off with Sour to show Pieman's teaching is not un beatable. They are not going to have someone else defeat Pieman in a bake off except for Strawberry, but Sour is fair game. Maybe do the Yu Gi Oh or in this case Food Wars type of thing, of settle things in a match instead of talking things out, in which Raspberry has a bake off in which if she wins Sour has to quit being Pieman's apprentice, but if Raspberry loses she has to join Pieman's camp.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I've already seen all of season 2 that's aired so far, and she's still pretty good. Her former antagonistic behavior has only been mentioned in the season premiere. It probably helps that her antagonistic behavior was nowhere near as extreme as Starlight. The new dynamic she has with Strawberry is pretty good, where she still considers her a friend, and will help her out when she needs it, but will also be blunt in calling her out on her mistakes.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts