"Superman: The Complete Animated Series" Blu-ray Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Superman: The Complete Animated Series - Rate and Discuss this Blu-ray Release!

• ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The timeless animated series is now available on Blu-ray...but at what cost? Discuss the long-awaited release - including bonus content, product quality and so on - right here!

t-blucover.jpg
t-bluback.jpg

Click here for more details and a review!

Superman: The Complete Animated Series
Studio:
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment
Release Date: October 26, 2021

Synopsis: Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and DC are celebrating the 25th anniversary of Superman: The Animated Series with a fully remastered Blu-rayTM box set. Superman: The Complete Animated Series, which includes several hours of bonus features headlined by an all-new documentary detailing the creation of one of the most beloved animated Super Hero cartoons in history, will be available starting October 12, 2021.

Produced by Warner Bros. Animation (WBA), the Emmy Award-winning Superman: The Animated Series was the perfect follow-up to the landmark Batman: the Animated Series. Producers Bruce Timm, Paul Dini and Alan Burnett elevated The Man of Steel's animated presence with an imaginative, heartfelt look at Superman's adventures in Metropolis alongside Lois Lane and opposite the villainous likes of Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Darkseid and more. Premiering on September 6, 1996, the series continued WBA's dominance in Super Hero animation, once again setting new standards for storytelling, art direction and acting performances - and garnering 11 Emmy Award nominations and two Emmy Award wins, including top honors as the Outstanding Special Class Animated Program of 1998.

The remarkable Superman: The Complete Animated Series box set features nearly 21 hours of entertainment spread over six Blu-ray discs, including all 54 exciting episodes, an all-new series-defining featurette entitled Superman: Timeless Icon, a special video commentary episode and three specially selected episodes with audio commentaries by the showrunners.

All 54 episodes have been remastered from the original 35mm Interpositive sources, giving special attention to extensive color correction, dirt and scratch clean up, and adding a grain reduction pass to create a pristine picture, all while making sure not to affect the original lines in the artwork of the animation. The audio was retransferred from the original audio masters, and the series is presented in its original aspect ratio (4x3).

Click here for a details rundown of the set's bonus content!

Please note this talkback is specifically for the Blu-ray set - which includes discussing the physical set, the audio and video quality and bonus content, and so on. To discuss individual episodes, check out the Talkback Collection Thread!

Discuss this epic home video release right here at The DC Animation Forum!

Related Discussion:

-Superman: The Complete Animated Series Blu-ray Review (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Complete Animated Series DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Animated Series - Volume Three DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Animated Series - Volume Two DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Animated Series - Volume One DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Animated Series - A Little Piece of Home DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Animated Series - Last Son of Krypton DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Batman/Superman Movie DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Animated Series Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Complete Animated Series Blu-ray Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman Beyond: The Complete Series Blu-ray Talkback (Spoilers)

Mandouga

@ James Harvey:

“but at what cost”? You make it sound like there’s some sort of catch or something. I’m not sure what you mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
@ James Harvey:

“but at what cost”? You make it sound like there’s some sort of catch or something. I’m not sure what you mean.
Read my review at WF, linked in the first post above!

Spider-Man

Great review! I picked up my copy today but I'll admit I was really hesitating. I'm a little upset that I won't be able to let go of my DVD collection but it's a small price to pay for getting 53 episodes in HD and looking as they should and only 1 with an error. But this is WB and these errors shouldn't happen in the first place. I assume covid and supply chain issues might be partly to blame for this set. I imagine if we weren't going through a pandemic the set would be more complete but at the time time WB has always treated Superman rather poorly and this being the result of that also wouldnt be a surprise.

DogBoneController

Just got mine in and good lord is it disappointing.

They shoved all the special features in the final disc, and only one of them is brand new. The episodes are more or less the same "meh" remasters shown on HBO Max.

Once again WB shows its lack of appreciation for the world's biggest superhero.

#TeamMike

Just got mine in and good lord is it disappointing.

They shoved all the special features in the final disc, and only one of them is brand new. The episodes are more or less the same "meh" remasters shown on HBO Max.

Once again WB shows its lack of appreciation for the world's biggest superhero.

I was really impressed with how good Batman TAS looked on blu ray (almost felt like I was watching something totally new), but the blu ray transfer for Batman Beyond disappointed me.

-batmat-

I've seen snippets of the episodes on HBO MAX, and yeah, it doesn't look as good as the BTAS remaster, but it's a little bit better than the DVD. I'd love to get this whenever I get the chance.

Batman Beyond on the other hand I won't get. Season 1 and the first half of Season 2 looks fine as far as I can remember. But, apart from the upscaled ones, the rest of the digital episodes look so bright! As if someone accidentally set the brightness higher by 20% and they just left it like that. I just can't watch those episodes. The Call Part 1 being the absolute worst, I don't know how something like that made it past quality control.

I can't forgive a missing effect, a blurry shot here and there, but 15 episodes or so being like that... no thanks, I'll stick to the DVDs. Or HBO Max for the ones that look good.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts