The Analysis of Cartoon Network in 2004 and online people's interests in their shows that year

5YearsOnEastCoast

Welcome to my series of analysis of my very fist kids network that i watched- Cartoon Network through years and how much were people interested/ popular in those years. This time I will analyse year 2004.
This is a year when CN changed their logo, replaced Powerhouse bumpers with CN City bumpers where many characters from many different shows interact between each other. Toonami was pushed to Saturday evenings instead of weekday afternoons and it was replaced with Miguzi block. They also removed almost all of their classical shows for their modern cartoons and some of their cartoons have ended that year. Many people hated these changes and many have claimed that CN has "died". I personally believe that they have overreacted over this changes and I think this was among CN's best years.
I will now analyse how popular were cartoons that were running at the time and even those that have ended. Also just because some show is higher, it doesn't mean it has more quality than shows that are lower than them. Like for example: would you really consider that Baby Looney Tunes is on same level of quality like Justice League Unlimited.
NOTE: Besides CN originals, I will also include WB originals that CN was their home like Teen Titans, Justice League but not ones like Mucha Lucha and Static Shock because CN isn't their home network. Also I will include acquired shows from other countries that are/were shown on CN USA and other country's CNs like Totally Spies and Atomic Betty.
Shows in bold means that those shows had new episodes in 2004.

1. Powerpuff Girls 1998 - their most popular show in 2004 and CN's flagship show.
2. Teen Titans- Most popular WB show on CN in 2004. It came close to PPG 1998 popularity and TT was only 1 year old wilie PPG was 6 years old. People liked characters, story arcs and animesque animation. It helped it to stood out among many CN shows.
3. Totally Spies- their most popular show that was aquired from another country (from France in this case). It was about three spies who have a secret life of being spies. It wasn't quite popular like the above two, but it was still pretty popular. Can you guess why?
4. Samurai Jack- "Foolish" samurai warrior tries to go to past to stop Aku from taking over the world. It was an episodic action comedy. It ended that year with its 4 episodes burned off in just 1 day. Show was still quite popular even if not on level of top 3.
5. Codename Kids Next Door- Kids fighting against adult tyranny. It was also one of first serialized cartoons.
6. Code Lyoko- Why are their foreheads so big? Anyway, this show switched from 2d to CGI when Aelita, Odd, Ulrich and Yumi are transported to Lyoko world to stop X.A.N.A. plans from his evil schemes. Considering this show was from France, it had some really getting "stuff" under radar. It was also really popular.
7. Ed, Edd & Eddy- Their most popular cartoon that didn't involve superheroes, spies, samurais or spies. It was just a wacky slice of life where 3 kids scam kids and don't wan't to be harrassed by Kanker Sisters. It was considered one of the, if not the funniest CN comedy.
8. Johnny Bravo- Guy fails at getting a woman. It is almost Eds level popular.
9. Justice League Unlimited- Premiered this years. It is among CN's most acclaimed shows.
10. Baby Looney Tunes- ...Why is this show almost on same level of popularity like Ed boys and Johnny Bravo?
11. Dexter's Laboratory- Show that putted CN on a map. I expeted it to be a little higher considering what it did to a network (and I mean it in a good way).
12. Justice League- First WB show that CN was their home network. It was often considered pinnacle of DC animation along with its followup Unlimited and Batman: Animated Series.
13. Courage the Cowardly Dog- CN's first show that can be considered horror-comedy.
14. The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy- 2 kids cheat death and he becomes their best friend. This show was also pretty dark like Courage.
15. Cow & Chicken- Momma had a chicken. Momma had a cow. Dad was proud. Couldn't care how.
16. Megas XLR- It was a last show to premiere before CN CIty bumpers came. It did started to gain popularity, but it was cancelled before it could reach popularity of most Cartoons Cartoons.
17. Star Wars Clone Wars These are actually shorts, but they were produced by CN Studios.
18. Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi- It premiered late into 2004, but it did gain quick popularity. It was based on 2 female singers who sang theme song for Teen Titans.
19. Duck Dodgers- Daffy Duck in 24 1/2th ceuntry. It wasn't really popular compare to the top.
20. Space Ghost: Coast to Coast- Ok, I know this show was airing new episodes on Adult Swim, but AS different entity than CN. Also even with airing new episodes it still isn't popular with all those above shows.
21. Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends- Show didn't reach other shows popularity yet, because it just started. It will become more popular in following years.
22. I Am Weasel- It was... meh at interest at people, but still better than shows below/
23. Atomic Betty- It is an action-comedy cartoon, but it received nowhere near level of attention when compared to top 6 shows.
24. Cramp Twins- CN Europian co-production. Not many people are interested in it and for good reason.
25. Sheep in the Big City- It had 2 seasons and 26 episodes and it was quickly forgotten.
26.Sitting Ducks- It had 2 seasons and 26 episodes and it was quickly forgotten.
27.Time Squad- It had 2 seasons and 26 episodes and it was quickly forgotten.
28. Evil Con Carne- Out of all CN shows that aired new episodes, this show had the smallest interest from online people. Also it ended that year.
29. Mike, Lu & Og- It had 2 seasons and 26 episodes and it was quickly forgotten.
30. What a Cartoon! - It showcased many pilot, that some will get picked up and become successful, but this show itself is forgotten by large majority of online users.
31. Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?- ...Yes whatever happened to it? Why does it have less episodes than all previous CN shows? Was it really THAT unsuccessful?
32. Big Bag-Yes, this was a very first live-action show from CN... and almost nobody is interested in it.
33. The Moxy Show- Nobody show interest in this show in 2004.

Here are pictures from Google Trends on how much were they popular in 2004 and/or online people interested in these shows.
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (6).png
Screenshot (7).png

Dr.Pepper

Thanks for this analysis. I would have thought that Dexter’s Laboratory would have been higher too. Even though it was done with new episodes it still came on a lot.

5YearsOnEastCoast

Thanks for this analysis. I would have thought that Dexter’s Laboratory would have been higher too. Even though it was done with new episodes it still came on a lot.
You're welcome. I am planning to do this for other years of CN.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

This is actually very interesting. I'm very surprised by some of these rankings (like Baby Looney Tunes of all things being more popular than Billy and Mandy). Great thread!

5YearsOnEastCoast

This is actually very interesting. I'm very surprised by some of these rankings (like Baby Looney Tunes of all things being more popular than Billy and Mandy). Great thread!
I admit some results also suprised me like I expected Justice League and Billy & Mandy to be higher and Code Lyoko and Baby Looney Tunes Show to be lower . It is interesting how much the shows interested people online the through years.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I'm mostly surprised to see PPG top the list. I was under the impression that it wasn't nearly as popular in its last season or two. I was expecting KND or one of the DC shows to top the statistics.

5YearsOnEastCoast

I'm mostly surprised to see PPG top the list. I was under the impression that it wasn't nearly as popular in its last season or two. I was expecting KND or one of the DC shows to top the statistics.
Teen Titans was the only show that came very close to Powerpuff Girls popularity though. In fact at one point in 2004, it was the most popular CN show at that point.

Edit: Most episodes that premiered this year were Code Lyoko with 26, Totally Spies with 24, Teen Titans and Megas XLR with 23 and C:KND with 21 episode.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So apparently pluto on demand for Taina tv series when I watched it, it's Spanish dubbed, instead of English.....
Today marks the 10th Year Anniversary of when Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 were released in North America. The Unova Games are my 3rd favorite games in the Pokémon Franchise.
Miyamoto & Nintendo: Ok, so how are we gonna make people love our first trail...

Some Guy: Penguins!

Miyamoto & Nintendo: Whaaa.. what do you...

Some Guy: P E N G U I N S.
Well it wasn’t as terrible as I thought it would be but I would say Jack Black kind of works as Bowser

I thought he would do his typical frat boy accent for him

But I'm not sold on Chris Pratt as Mario yet.
It's just Chris Pratt. IT'S JUST CHRIS PRATT!

Featured Posts