"The Batman: The Complete Series" Blu-ray Release Talkback (Spoilers)

The Batman: The Complete Series - Rate and Discuss this Release!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Bring on the Batman! The fan-favorite Kids'WB! animated series finally arrives on Blu-ray and Digital HD!

t-blucover.jpg
t-bluback.jpg

Click here for more details!

The Batman: The Complete Series
Studio:
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment
Release Date: March 1, 2022

Synopsis: The early years of the Caped Crusader get a closer examination with the six-disc, fully-remastered The Batman: The Complete Series. The six-time Emmy Award-winning series premiered on September 11, 2004 on Kids’ WB. The Batman: The Complete Series follows 20-something-year-old Bruce Wayne’s early adventures as he balances his daytime persona as a bachelor billionaire with his nighttime guise as a caped crimefighter. Along the way, Batman is joined by allies Robin and Batgirl as they combat Gotham City’s Rogues’ Gallery, including updated versions of his familiar foes as well as a bevy of rarely seen villains like Killer Moth and The Everywhere Man. Join one of the most complex and intriguing character in comic book history for action-packed super heroic adventures that test the limits of this legendary character's extraordinary physical prowess and super-sleuthing skills.

Executive Producer Alan Burnett led an extremely talented team that included producers Glen Murakami, Jeff Matsuda and Linda Steiner, and supervising producers Michael Goguen and Duane Capizzi. Rino Romano (Spider-Man Unlimited) heads the cast as the voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman. Romano is joined by Evan Sabara as Dick Grayson/Robin, Danielle Judovits as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, Kevin Michael Richardson as the Joker, Ming-Na Wen as Detective Ellen Yin, Tom Kenny as The Penguin, Clancy Brown as Mr. Freeze, Alastair Duncan as Alfred, Gina Gershon as Catwoman, Jason Marsden as Firefly, Steve Harris as Detective Ethan Bennett/Clayface, Mitch Pileggi as Commissioner James Gordon, and Adam West (Batman) as Mayor Grange, along with an extensive roster of guest appearances.

The Batman: The Complete Series special features include:
-The Dark Dynasty Continues (New Featurette)
-Joining Forces: The Batman's Legendary Team-Ups (Featurette)
-The Batman Junior Detective Challenge (Quiz)
-The Batman Junior Detective Exam: Level 2 (Quiz) -Building Batman (Featurette)
-Gotham PD Case Files (Featurette)
-New Look, New Direction, New Knight (Featurette)
-The Batman: Season 3 Unmasked (Featurette)
-The Batman: Season 4 Unmasked (Featurette)

Click here for a detailed rundown of the set's bonus content!

Please note this talkback is specifically for the Blu-ray set - which includes discussing the physical set, the audio and video quality and bonus content, and so on, in addition to its digital release. To discuss individual episodes, check out the Talkback Collection Thread!

Discuss this long-awaited The Batman home video release right here at The DC Animation Forum!

Related Discussion:

-The Batman "The Bat in the Belfry" Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Batman vs. Dracula Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Batman: The Complete First Season DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Batman: The Complete Second Season DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Batman: The Complete Third Season DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Batman: The Complete Fourth Season DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Batman: The Complete Fifth Season DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Spider-Man

I picked up my copy yesterday. For any Canadians buying the set it looks like it doesn't come with a digital code. I checked iTunes afterwards and even iTunes doesn't have The Batman in HD. Even without the code and the lack of The Batman vs Dracula I thought it was still worth picking up and I guess my DVD of TBVD will have to do for now still.

Dallas Kinard

I picked up my copy yesterday. For any Canadians buying the set it looks like it doesn't come with a digital code. I checked iTunes afterwards and even iTunes doesn't have The Batman in HD. Even without the code and the lack of The Batman vs Dracula I thought it was still worth picking up and I guess my DVD of TBVD will have to do for now still.
Dracula is on HBOMax in HD FYI.

MichChrisIp

I can't wait to watch the whole series for the first time. But I will be holding on just a bit. Currently 60 Euros on amazon.fr, and I would like it to just drop below 50. Both BTAS and STAS dropped pretty quickly so I'll live with waiting for 1-3 months!

I've just seen a bunch of random episodes on tv (have the dvd's though...), and remember really liking it. Obviously not as much as BTAS, STAS and JL, but stuff can be great anyways! ;) Watching an entire DC animated series on blu-ray is quite the yearly thing! Even if they are about to run out of shows. Static is 99% next, right? :)

And I love that my 5 dvd's will be packed into one bluray case for space reasons! ;D

Dallas Kinard

I really do hope Static and Zeta get proper HD sets soon. Having The Batman on BD is exactly what I've always wanted in life!

Mod Note: Keep your comments on-topic, please.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The new special feature "The Dark Dynasty Continues" is located on disc one and clocks in at 15 minutes and 56 minutes. It features finished footage, concept art, and comments from cast and crew, including Duane Capizzi, Brandon Vietti, Sam Liu, Andrea Romano, Alastair Duncan, Rino Romano, and Steven Melching. The topics of discussion include the development of the series, what restrictions they faced, Jeff Matsuda's art style, going in the opposite direction that Batman: The Animated Series went, the anime influence, voice acting fight scenes, serialization of story telling, Thomas Chase Jones's contributions to the music of the series, Alfred, Danielle Judovits and Batgirl, duality in the series, Penguin and Tom Kenny, The Joker, creatives getting their start working on this series, Duncan doing different takes on Alfred since working on The Batman, and mythology. Overall, a nice but short look back.

When it says "The Complete Series," it's complete more so if you still have the DVD releases. If you don't, the DVD contained 480i transfers. This meant frames got cut out. So in this Blu-ray set, the 1.78 transfer restores those missing frames. And thanks to the 1080p remaster, the image quality is way better than the DVD version. The Blu-ray version is more clear and was less dark and dim. It's like when you go to the eye doctor and they're asking you if 1 or 2 is better. And one option is miles clearer. The Blu-ray is just like that. Even the red sky or the billowing clouds from an explosion are vastly improved. And similarly, the audio is like night and day. The DVD was an Adobe Digital 2.0 while the Blu-ray's DTS HD Master has so much more range and clarity to it.

There is also a decent choice of subtitles for what I think is a region-free release, so if you're not in North America and import this, you should be able to play and understand the series.

As far as I have seen, there are no compression issues and could be in part thanks to each disc containing 11 episodes total instead of 13 episodes of each season being on one disc each. Likewise, there are no banding or audio lag issues or anything like that.

There is a slip case with art not reused from past releases to my knowledge. It comes in my favored multi-disc Blu-ray case, the hassle free single spindle per section 6 disc case rather than those ones that have double spindles and there's one disc in place above another disc and you got to take one off to get to the other. There is also a printed leaflet in the case that breaks down a numerical listing of episodes and special features per disc and has some artwork. The series can also be redeemed digitally through Vudu, Fandango, or Walmart only if you are in the United States of America.

While not a deal breaker, the old special features aren't remastered and the one odd omission from the Blu-ray set was the movie The Batman vs. Dracula. My only theory is this set's production was not overseen by Warner Archive like the Teen Titans was and perhaps they will release a Blu-ray version of the movie in the near future. EDIT: Hmm, some of the old special features weren't ported over.

Overall, this is still the best quality version of all 65 episodes of the animated series we'll have for the definite future. Yes, it is streaming on HBO Max and the digital version is available, but the Blu-ray will always be the most consistent visual presentation since Internet connection isn't a factor.

Dracula is on HBOMax in HD FYI.
There is no HBO Max in Canada which is where @Spider-Man resides. I'm not sure if it's on Crave though.

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

Bring on the Batman! The fan-favorite Kids'WB! animated series finally arrives on Blu-ray and Digital HD!

t-blucover.jpg
t-bluback.jpg

Click here for more details!

The Batman: The Complete Series
Studio:
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment
Release Date: March 1, 2022

Synopsis: The early years of the Caped Crusader get a closer examination with the six-disc, fully-remastered The Batman: The Complete Series. The six-time Emmy Award-winning series premiered on September 11, 2004 on Kids’ WB. The Batman: The Complete Series follows 20-something-year-old Bruce Wayne’s early adventures as he balances his daytime persona as a bachelor billionaire with his nighttime guise as a caped crimefighter. Along the way, Batman is joined by allies Robin and Batgirl as they combat Gotham City’s Rogues’ Gallery, including updated versions of his familiar foes as well as a bevy of rarely seen villains like Killer Moth and The Everywhere Man. Join one of the most complex and intriguing character in comic book history for action-packed super heroic adventures that test the limits of this legendary character's extraordinary physical prowess and super-sleuthing skills.

Executive Producer Alan Burnett led an extremely talented team that included producers Glen Murakami, Jeff Matsuda and Linda Steiner, and supervising producers Michael Goguen and Duane Capizzi. Rino Romano (Spider-Man Unlimited) heads the cast as the voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman. Romano is joined by Evan Sabara as Dick Grayson/Robin, Danielle Judovits as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, Kevin Michael Richardson as the Joker, Ming-Na Wen as Detective Ellen Yin, Tom Kenny as The Penguin, Clancy Brown as Mr. Freeze, Alastair Duncan as Alfred, Gina Gershon as Catwoman, Jason Marsden as Firefly, Steve Harris as Detective Ethan Bennett/Clayface, Mitch Pileggi as Commissioner James Gordon, and Adam West (Batman) as Mayor Grange, along with an extensive roster of guest appearances.

The Batman: The Complete Series special features include:
-The Dark Dynasty Continues (New Featurette)
-Joining Forces: The Batman's Legendary Team-Ups (Featurette)
-The Batman Junior Detective Challenge (Quiz)
-The Batman Junior Detective Exam: Level 2 (Quiz) -Building Batman (Featurette)
-Gotham PD Case Files (Featurette)
-New Look, New Direction, New Knight (Featurette)
-The Batman: Season 3 Unmasked (Featurette)
-The Batman: Season 4 Unmasked (Featurette)

Click here for a detailed rundown of the set's bonus content!

Please note this talkback is specifically for the Blu-ray set - which includes discussing the physical set, the audio and video quality and bonus content, and so on, in addition to its digital release. To discuss individual episodes, check out the Talkback Collection Thread!

Discuss this long-awaited The Batman home video release right here at The DC Animation Forum!

Related Discussion:

-The Batman "The Bat in the Belfry" Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Batman vs. Dracula Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Batman: The Complete First Season DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Batman: The Complete Second Season DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Batman: The Complete Third Season DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Batman: The Complete Fourth Season DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Batman: The Complete Fifth Season DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
James' review talks about characterization suffering a bit in the series. That's true, but the emphasis of style over substance also meant that the plots and story logic could be pretty weak in many (if not most) episodes.

Dallas Kinard

Does anyone know when exactly The Batman VS Dracula was produced? Was it during production of the first season? Was it in between the first and second?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Does anyone know when exactly The Batman VS Dracula was produced? Was it during production of the first season? Was it in between the first and second?
It released a little after the season 3 premiere so presumably it was produced during either the tail end of season 2 production and/or during season 3 production.

Dallas Kinard

It released a little after the season 3 premiere so presumably it was produced during either the tail end of season 2 production and/or during season 3 production.
From the behind the scenes featurette, you can see Prod. Code #195-300 on the art for the film. I wonder what that means exactly?

-batmat-

I've always watched it between seasons 2 and 3. I think Gordon's not in it, but other than that, it makes sense because Ellen Yin is gone, and Batgirl isn't there yet either. I've always looked at it as the "goodbye" from the show's first two seasons style of the show of Batman being more of a loner before the side kicks show up and the team ups start to happen.

Dallas Kinard

I've always watched it between seasons 2 and 3. I think Gordon's not in it, but other than that, it makes sense because Ellen Yin is gone, and Batgirl isn't there yet either. I've always looked at it as the "goodbye" from the show's first two seasons style of the show of Batman being more of a loner before the side kicks show up and the team ups start to happen.
I don't recall, but is there any conflict having it after "Grundy's Night"? Isn't Batman more accepting of the supernatural in that episode when compared to Dracula?

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Well, I'm thoroughly enjoying my re-watch. I haven't seen these episodes in a while as the DVD's were a bit battered and the squashed image was off-putting. It's wonderful to get the show looking and sounding so great.

Slightly off-topic, but still in the realm of The Batman. Does anyone think Rino Romano deserves a chance at a role reprisal with Batman. He does a fantastic job in this show. As much as I LOVE Kevin Conroy and will never complain about his voicing Bats, I think Justice League Action would have been the perfect vehicle for Romano's return. The short ears, the overly stylized cape, the more rounded jawline... even the little clawed gloves. His voice would have suited brilliantly or am I the only one seeing it?

JLAaction.webp
Batman-The-Batman-2004.webp

The Batman complete series on Blu-Ray!. Well that's something you'd want to watch entirely unlike when it aired on the Boomerang Channel with only the seasons 1 & 2 airing over and over again.

Dallas Kinard

OK I just found a pretty big issue with this set. On Disc 3 there is the following special feature: Joining Forces: The Batman's Legendary Team-Ups (25:21). Notice how long it is? Well that's because whoever created this disc combined "The Batman: Justice League Profiles" with this special feature. You have to fast forward past a few seconds of black screen to access the hidden special feature after the first one is complete but it IS included. It's a pretty big mistake.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts