"The Cuphead Show!" News & Discussion Thread

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Oh ho boy! I fell in love with Cuphead ever since I saw the first trailer back in 2014. I'm impressed and happy that this indie game became a huge hit to the point of having an animated series. A cartoon of a game that is based on cartoons of the 1930s? Things have gone full circle. I look forward to what The Cuphead Show has to offer!

DeanBurrito25

Well this was a pleasant surprise. I don't think anyone could have anticipated this and yet it doesn't seem like anyone is really against it, either.

By default the property lends itself well to animated media, so I'm interested in seeing how this pans out. Will be kind of weird to hear Cuphead and Mugman with actual voices (if that's what they're going for), but there's a lot of potential. I have yet to play the game myself though.

Frontier

Staff member
Considering the show's obvious animation/disney influences, a cartoon isn't quite as unexpected, but it'll be interesting to see how the game world and characters adapt to a cartoon with voices and more traditional storytelling :).

I know they've said it will be distinct from the story of the game, but I'm curious if any of the enemies from the game will pop up.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
British Columbia/Vancouver's Ocean Group's voice actors would be perfect for Cuphead's animated series. If they wanna get a non-Vancouver based actor, Justin Roiland would be perfect for Cuphead.

You're assuming the show will be dialogue heavy ... I'd be surprised if there are any actual Canadian residents in this. Cuphead, the game is Canadian. This show sounds like it's being primarily made in the U.S. with the in-between animation inevitably outsourced to Korea. Even Netflix shows animated in Canada have a tendency to either not hire Canadian actors at all, or have them only do smaller parts while they stunt cast the leads.

Just saying, but where did they say this, and when?

As for what the plot of the show itself will be, Chad told us, “That is something we don’t quite know just yet. But we do know that we are not going to re-tell the game. This is going to explore other things and not just [Don’t Deal With the Devil].” Jared added, “The game told its story. The cartoon will tell its [own].” Along these lines, don’t expect the show to tie directly into the game or vice versa. “I see it in a Mickey Mouse [cartoon] manner,” Jared explained. “In any given episode, Mickey Mouse could’ve been a pilot, or selling hot dogs, or a musician. There’s not this intention that the two must mesh and fit together.”

chocolate

Mentally Still in 2016
I have a lot of fate and expectations for this show, primarily the 30s Fleischer Studios animation style they s greatly capitalized in on with the game. I hope the show is as good as the game because this show can be done right. I'll be the first to call it if Mugman gets his own show too.

Dudley

Staff member
I never played the game it's based on, but this new series reminds me of the artwork from the '90s cartoon, The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat.

I hope it’ll be similar to that underrated show.
But from the sound of things Cuphead has a few key people from the Mickey Mouse shorts moving to the show. And since that show is amazing, I expect Cuphead to be the same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Oh ho boy! I fell in love with Cuphead ever since I saw the first trailer back in 2014. I'm impressed and happy that this indie game became a huge hit to the point of having an animated series. A cartoon of a game that is based on cartoons of the 1930s? Things have gone full circle. I look forward to what The Cuphead Show has to offer!

So who would be the villain be for this show, the Devil?

Would they keep the smoking and alcohol we saw in the game? Who would this show be aimed at? Its technically kid-friendly and not really aimed at adults, but it has Satan as the main villain and smoking and alcohol throughout the game.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
So who would be the villain be for this show, the Devil?

Would they keep the smoking and alcohol we saw in the game? Who would this show be aimed at? Its technically kid-friendly and not really aimed at adults, but it has Satan as the main villain and smoking and alcohol throughout the game.

Well, I wasn't expecting to be questioned like this, but I'll give it a shot.

Since this show is on Netflix, it could have some leeway with its content. The Devil could possibly be an antagonist for this show, among others. It's not like depictions of demons and fiends are unheard of in kid's shows.

The game has an E10+ rating because of its depiction of alcohol and smoking, along with mild language. This would make the game appropriate for big kids and older, so it can be assumed that the cartoon adaptation would be around the same age range. Granted, TV rating standards are not the same as Video Game rating standards, so maybe the smoking and alcohol will be toned down, along with the use of the word "hell".

All in all, it's too early to tell. All we have for the show so far is a single photo. Let's wait for some clips so we can a better idea of what the show would be like.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts