The CW has been sold. (Nexstar owns 75%; WB and Paramount hold 12.5% each.)

quintex96

WSJ News Exclusive | Nexstar Nears Deal to Acquire Majority Control of CW Network

CBS and Warner really don't want the CW in their books anymore

Makes sense to keep most of the ship steady, but also find cheap programming

One step closer to bringing back "The Waltons" , I think...
Sounds kinda like what UPN tried to do under their president with stuff like the revival of Love Boat and Swift Justice.

I understand. I was just speculating.

I doubt The CW is interested in bringing back Saturday morning cartoons since kids moved on streaming services nowadays and FCC's strict mandates, but who knows.
I'd rather have The WB back myself.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Nexstar should at the very least subcontract CBS Sports and occasionally Turner Sports to produce sports broadcasts on the network.

JMTV

It's official: Nexstar Media Group to Acquire The CW Network

Nexstar will own 75% of the network, with both Paramount and WBD maintaining 12.5% stakes. Interestingly it doesn't say anything about what happens to the O&O stations owned by Paramount.
Alright, it's official.

Now that Nexstar officially owns The CW, what kind of changes they had to made and where do they go from there? We all knows that The CW cancelled a lot of shows this year, but what can they do at this point?

PF9

Alright, it's official.

Now that Nexstar officially owns The CW, what kind of changes they had to made and where do they go from there? We all knows that The CW cancelled a lot of shows this year, but what can they do at this point?
I already suggested Nexstar bring sports programming to the network in conjunction with CBS Sports in most cases, and Turner Sports in select situations.

The CW could really benefit if some of the current organizations that do business with Fox stop doing so because of Fox News (which if the NFL had done so starting 2023 would likely have led to The CW airing games, as this would have been announced prior to the CW being put up for sale would have prevented it), with NASCAR being the next organization with the chance to make that decision as their current TV contracts run through 2024. As part of replacing Fox Sports as a NASCAR partner, CBS Sports would produce races on cable for Paramount Network, which would be a homecoming as it aired races as TNN from 1991-2000, before NASCAR centralized TV rights.

LinusFan303

Celebrating 70 years of Linus
Alright, it's official.

Nothing will change at first... they are going for cheaper programming, and they might do the news... The CW is not profitable so they have to make it not lose money... Netflix was keeping the network alive for a long time.

Funfact, the average CW viewer age is 58-years-old... The CW Will Become A Profitable Network By 2025, But Also One With Broader, Cheaper Programming, New Owners At Nexstar Signal
1660585217288.png

Cost cutting and programming and finding shows that fit an older age, and possibly the news... or they give up and just do 2 hours of NewsNation on the CW...

PF9

Nexstar does have an in-house news division, yes, but not sports, and IMO having CBS and sometimes Turner produce sports telecasts on The CW would be cheaper and easier than forming an in-house sports division.

And the move to make primetime programming on The CW more like the big 4 would be more conductive to The CW being a good fit for sports broadcasts. I've been told by others that sports wouldn't fit with The CW's current programming strategy, but with the new programming strategy it could work.

And with this new alignment I proposed for Major League Baseball, the postseason round that precedes the World Series would now be the National Semifinal Series. TBS would under my TV contract proposals from 2029-40 have the rights to one of them every other year, with the ability to sublicense a game 7 simulcast to The CW, which would mark one of the few occasions Turner Sports produces a broadcast on The CW.

JMTV

Nothing will change at first... they are going for cheaper programming, and they might do the news... The CW is not profitable so they have to make it not lose money... Netflix was keeping the network alive for a long time.

Funfact, the average CW viewer age is 58-years-old... The CW Will Become A Profitable Network By 2025, But Also One With Broader, Cheaper Programming, New Owners At Nexstar Signal
View attachment 299575

Cost cutting and programming and finding shows that fit an older age, and possibly the news... or they give up and just do 2 hours of NewsNation on the CW...
Interesting. I guess only time will tell.

PF9

Another thing concerning is that there will now be CW O&Os in markets too small for the Big 4 networks to consider owning their affiliates there.

Only two markets ranked below 50, Fresno (KFSN/ABC) and Gainesville (WOGX/Fox), have an O&O of a Big 4 network, though the latter is actually a semi-satellite of the Fox O&O in the top 25 market of Orlando, WOFL.

Some of the markets where Nexstar owns the affiliate of the CW, including many markets where it is seen on a subchannel, don't even have enough separately-licensed stations for each Big 4 network plus The CW to each have to themselves, at least one of the networks must be on a subchannel on one of the stations that does exist.

So yeah, this is another major problem with Nexstar controlling The CW.

With this, Watertown, NY ABC affiliate WWTI's CW subchannel will be the smallest O&O of a major network by market size in the US. Watertown is 20 spots below Gainesville.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So we're back in 2006 when the WB and UPN folded.

Well, the CW lasted longer than those 2 networks.

Certainly feels like the end of an era. Are they going to have to move away from DC superheroes?
That is unclear but the announcement mentioned WB and Paramount are still going to make scripted programming.

PF9

Related to my proposal to have Nexstar subcontract CBS Sports and Turner Sports to produce sports broadcasts on The CW is teaming up with CBS and Turner, who share March Madness rights, to expand distribution of March Madness games being shown on Turner networks in markets with a rooting interest in the participating teams by having them be shown on over-the-air stations in these markets for people who only have an antenna, and no form of pay TV - not even a streaming service - to provide them television.

Under this proposal, CW affiliates, as Paramount Global (parent of CBS) and Warner Bros. Discovery (parent of Turner) are still minority owners of the network, would have right of first refusal for these simulcasts. If two March Madness games of local interest are airing simultaneously on Turner's networks, next in line to air a simulcast of one of these games would be sister stations/subchannels to CW affiliates that are not affiliated with CBS, and sister stations/subchannels to CBS affiliates that are not affiliated with the CW. If neither of the latter two exist in a given market, any other station outside the affiliates of the CW and CBS may bid for the rights to a show a simulcast if two games of local interest are airing at the same time on Turner networks.

The NFL has had a similar policy for games on pay TV outlets since 1987.

harry580

so, what the cw is going to look like now paramount & Warner bros discovery sold the network to nexstar (or at least half of their stakes)

LinusFan303

Celebrating 70 years of Linus
so, what the cw is going to look like now paramount & Warner bros discovery sold the network to nexstar (or at least half of their stakes)
no change at first, but probably soon cheaper stuff. The CW's median viewer ages is 58, so they might be going for older skewing stuff, though if the older people are watching Riverdale and stuff they should really stay there just do it cheaper...

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 20th Anniversary to the Disney Channel Bounce Era (2002-2007).

Want to give me the best birthday present EVER? Catch up on Gilda And Meek And The Un-Iverse at my site! And be sure to read it in order! If you sneak ahead for spoilers I'll give you SUCH a pinch!
It's muh burp-day!

Braaap!

That tasted better going down than coming up.
Halloween month is tomorrow!

Featured Posts