"The Flash (2014 TV Series)" News & Discussion Part Two (Spoilers)

dmxx116

Good the showrunners of the Flash were running out of ideas with so many filter episodes not featuring the Flash.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Barry and Henry's relationship was the best thing on the show. And the show destroyed it for no reason and utterly false drama. The show lost its entire hook with that one dumb move. I probably wouldn't have turned against it until much later if it hadn't done that.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I do really hope since this is not only the last season but let's face it the end of the Arrowverse with Superman and Lois and Stargirl and likely Gotham Knights totally being their own thing they make it epic. Bring back as many characters from other shows and try to give them closure and then go out on an absolute definite note. Since yeah pretty clear even if CW is going to continue with super hero DC shows they aren't going to make a universe of them again and have them be their own thing so have what was started at this point nearly a decade end on a high note. Especially since yeah that last season will have to be the 10th anniversary of the Arrowverse so another reason to make it matter.

Frontier

Staff member
Barry and Henry's relationship was the best thing on the show. And the show destroyed it for no reason and utterly false drama. The show lost its entire hook with that one dumb move. I probably wouldn't have turned against it until much later if it hadn't done that.
I think it was definitely a great and positive relationship, if not something I think was as essential to the show as Barry's other relationships, but that's just me.

I don't think it was for no reason because it upped the emotional stakes on Barry's fight with Zoom (and how Zoom viewed people) and leading in to Flashpoint.

I do really hope since this is not only the last season but let's face it the end of the Arrowverse with Superman and Lois and Stargirl and likely Gotham Knights totally being their own thing they make it epic. Bring back as many characters from other shows and try to give them closure and then go out on an absolute definite note. Since yeah pretty clear even if CW is going to continue with super hero DC shows they aren't going to make a universe of them again and have them be their own thing so have what was started at this point nearly a decade end on a high note. Especially since yeah that last season will have to be the 10th anniversary of the Arrowverse so another reason to make it matter.
I hope it ends more like Arrow than Supergirl.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I think it was definitely a great and positive relationship, if not something I think was as essential to the show as Barry's other relationships, but that's just me.
It was the best relationship between ANY of the actors, and those two had chemistry in those roles with each other no other actors had on that show. And the show killed it for no reason. Just because Henry and Barry weren't the most essential relationship on the show doesn't mean they weren't the best. John Wesley Shipp and Grant Gustin brung da pain and the producers let that precious lightning out of the bottle as if it was nothing and didn't matter.
I don't think it was for no reason because it upped the emotional stakes on Barry's fight with Zoom (and how Zoom viewed people) and leading in to Flashpoint.
That's what the show wants you to think. That is their defense. Don't you believe it for a second. It's utter b.s. to supposedly "raise the stakes" by getting rid of the single best thing on the entire show. It's ridiculous the show expects us to think otherwise. Don't fall for it. You deserve better. We all do.

Edit:

I think television has conditioned us to accept too much crap as supposed "stakes raising". Bad plot turns are considered acceptable by most viewers simply because most television pulls that crap. I may be shouting into the wind here but that's not actually okay.

flaboyblast

The writers wasted Flashpoint, so Henry's death wasn't even worth it from that perspective. The only actual change in the show's status quo moving forward, aside from Barry and Joe having fewer father-son relationship moments now, is the Killer Frost problem. But the show also retconned that in later seasons, Catlin always had these powers. Flashpoint didn't do anything.

Cisco's brother getting killed, which also was done for cheap drama and never used after the season, was a waste.

Also, Savitar's motivation was weak - the reason the writers gave was so childish and impossible to believe. They never proved that Team Flash could be so mean to anybody. Let alone another Barry. And that was one of the two reasons he wanted revenge!

Arrowverse's Flashpoint was somewhat the sign that I was losing interest in the universe (and its lazy writing) and only grew as a problem for me as it was going on.

Frontier

Staff member
It was the best relationship between ANY of the actors, and those two had chemistry in those roles with each other no other actors had on that show. And the show killed it for no reason. Just because Henry and Barry weren't the most essential relationship on the show doesn't mean they weren't the best. John Wesley Shipp and Grant Gustin brung da pain and the producers let that precious lightning out of the bottle as if it was nothing and didn't matter.

That's what the show wants you to think. That is their defense. Don't you believe it for a second. It's utter b.s. to supposedly "raise the stakes" by getting rid of the single best thing on the entire show. It's ridiculous the show expects us to think otherwise. Don't fall for it. You deserve better. We all do.

Edit:

I think television has conditioned us to accept too much crap as supposed "stakes raising". Bad plot turns are considered acceptable by most viewers simply because most television pulls that crap. I may be shouting into the wind here but that's not actually okay.
I know this is probably not an equalizer for you personally, but we still got JWS as Jay Garrick and he absolutely nails that role (and JWS seems more invested in playing Jay than he was Henry by the time of his death).
The writers wasted Flashpoint, so Henry's death wasn't even worth it from that perspective. The only actual change in the show's status quo moving forward, aside from Barry and Joe having fewer father-son relationship moments now, is the Killer Frost problem. But the show also retconned that in later seasons, Catlin always had these powers. Flashpoint didn't do anything.

Cisco's brother getting killed, which also was done for cheap drama and never used after the season, was a waste.

Also, Savitar's motivation was weak - the reason the writers gave was so childish and impossible to believe. They never proved that Team Flash could be so mean to anybody. Let alone another Barry. And that was one of the two reasons he wanted revenge!

Arrowverse's Flashpoint was somewhat the sign that I was losing interest in the universe (and its lazy writing) and only grew as a problem for me as it was going on.
I agree Flashpoint should've been more than one episode but Flashpoint's effect was felt across the entire season.

Even if they retconned Caitlin's powers, in terms of that season it was still blamed on Barry, and it lead to the Invasion! crossover and drove 50% of the plot. Diggle had a son up until Spectre!Ollie brought back Baby Sara.

Savitar always seemed like he had a huge ego and inferiority complex that drove him to be evil, so even if his Team Flash didn't actually treat him the way he thought they did, he probably saw it that way. Just like how he couldn't accept working with Team Flash who seemed willing to help him.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts