The huge influence of Golden Age american animation (like Disney) on anime

user313856

Anime is not a single homogeneous style. I call anime as simply animation from Japan. And while there are mainstream tropes and styles in japanese animation, there are many artists with very unique styles and influences. We shouldn't make general assumptions about anime. There is as much diversity in japanese animation that there is in american animation. And we all that many american cartoons ever look drastically different from each other, and in many other things.

You may ask: what is my point with all of this? It's simple. Disney is undeniably a very big historical influence on anime for many decades. Osamu Tezuka, the Godfather of manga and anime, is undeniably the most important and influential figure in the history of japanese comics and animation. His style was instantly emulated by many artists, his influence is inescapable. And Osamu Tezuka was a huge Disney fan. I think his favorite Disney film was Bambi. He tells that the animation and visuals of the film seemed impossible, a miracle that left him in awe and disbelief, and that he re-watched it as many times as possible, to learn as much he could from it. Bambi is a huge influence on Tezuka's Kimba, The White Lion. Disney's Pinocchio is also a big influence on Astro Boy, the first anime. Tezuka also said that meeting Walt Disney in person in the 50s was one of the biggest moments of his life.

Let's not forget, though, that the Golden Age Of American Animation as a whole (1930s to1950s) was very influential in anime. Disney was far from the only big player in the Golden Age of American Animation. The work of Fleischer Studios (Popeye, Betty Boop, Superman), Warner Bros. (the Looney Tunes), MGM (Tom & Jerry, Tex Avery's one-shots), and many others are also very influential.

Osamu Tezuka is still just one artist. No matter how insanely influential he is, many artists didn't just blindly copy what Tezuka did. Many japanese animators found their own unique visual styles, themes, identity, influences and so on.

Hayao Miyazaki is not a huge fan of Disney. He admires the impressive craft and skill in Disney's works, but he also said that Disney's work simply does not resonate with him. Meanwhile, Miyazaki is a huge fan of Fleischer Studios. He loves the Popeye shorts and Fleischer Superman. He even made clear references to The Mechanical Monsters in his films. The Mechanical Monsters is one of the most iconic of the Fleischer Superman animated shorts. And as unbelievable and insane as it sounds, Miyazaki also said to like the Fleischer Studios' feature-length films Gulliver's Travels and Mr. Bug Goes To Town more than any of Disney's feature-length films!

Miyazaki is just one example. Some of the biggest influences in Mamoru Oshii's work are not even from animators, but from european art-house directors like Ingmar Bergman, Federico Fellini and Andrei Tarkovsky if I'm not mistaken.

Not only every artist is a unique person, and will do different things even if they have the exact same influences, but Japan's culture is different. Its animation consequently has forged its own identity that is unique to Japan, even with all their foreign influences.

I highly recommend this video:

user313856

I gotta say I love your topics pal! They are fun and unique plus meaty and informative.
Huge thanks! If you want to, please, check out my other topics in this site too! Like my Astro Boy topic, I shared some great news there yesterday! Also, if you want to, please check out my recent topics in the first page of The Toonzone - General Animation Discussion in this site! Like about the false dichotomy of style vs. substance!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now

Featured Posts