The Recent Identity Crisis Of Scooby Doo?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So, the Scooby Doo franchise has been... interesting in the 2010s. For the first half of the decade, it was praised quite a bit. By the middle of the decade (around 2014-2015), things were, put simply, polarizing. There are a few factors to consider, so let me go over the more important years in the decade.

2014: In 2014, we saw two anniversary movies to honor the 45th anniversary. They were Scooby Doo: WrestleMania Mystery, and Scooby Doo: Frankencreepy. The first movie involved the gang going to WWE City to attend WrestleMania. While Scooby Doo crossovers weren't uncommon, it was usually either just guest appearances (whether they were the hosts or the guests) or the relatively grounded New Scooby Doo Movies. This naturally got a very interesting reception, with one side thinking "jumping the shark" and the other side thinking "nice little homage". The 2016 sequel, Curse Of The Speed Demon, got a similar reception. The second has many old villains conspiring to kill the gang while Velma is trying to claim an inheritance. You get one side who thinks it's a great celebration of the franchise, while the other side thinks it's trying too hard (both being too modern and too hard to be dark).

2015:

In 2015, we have another 2 movies as well as a new series. Scooby Doo Moon Monster Madness, despite not being talked about a lot, is generally well received. Things get interesting when we get to Scooby Doo And KISS: Rock And Roll Mystery and Be Cool Scooby Doo. For the former, it once again got accused of trying too hard (this time in appealing to adults with KISS, as well how over the top it gets), but the ending is where things get completely insane. There's a scene where Shaggy and Scooby find out the adventure they went on is real, but they're the only ones in the gang who keep their memories of it. For the latter, it got controversy almost immediately when it was announced, what with the art style and more subversive/self depreciative humor. However, according to a Reddit with Jon Colton Barry, there was behind the scenes trouble with the series, such as the art style apparently being uglier, the executives making them rewrite the early episodes many times, and with a creative shakeup that resulted in Zac Moncrief leaving the series and Jon Colton Barry having less control. It was a nightmare.

2018:

In 2018, we have 2 movies and an adult oriented. We have "Scooby Doo And Batman: The Brave And The Bold", "Scooby Doo And The Gourmet Ghost", and ScoobyNatural. The former two are both crossover movies that were generally well received due to having a better use of the gang interacting with the guest characters they're meeting. ScoobyNatural was also well received even with using typical adult shock humor. However, elements of it would be used in the controversial 2019 movies, such as an overly skeptical Velma, the reset button being used on the gang believing in real ghosts, and harder attempts to recapture nostalgia.

2019:

So, 2019, the 50th anniversary, has gotten quite a divisive reception with its projects. We have Scooby Doo And The Curse Of The 13th Ghost, Scooby Doo Return To Zombie Island, and Scooby Doo And Guess Who. The latter is mostly well received, but it does have accusations of trying too hard to be nostalgic and not having its own identity. As for the 13th Ghost movie, based on The 13 Ghosts Of Scooby Doo, there was quite a bit of excitement about wrapping up the plot, but with the ambiguous ending about the Supernatural just being a hoax, it was divisive. There was also with it being canon to Scooby Doo On Zombie Island, which many thought was not right. Tim Sheridan mentioned executive meddling at play. Return To Zombie Island, however, does not have that courtesy card extended to it, what with it not being seen as a good sequel or even a standalone movie to what came before it .

And that's all I have . What do you think?

(go to about 25:00)

Wil Tha Godsson

THE LAST MAJOR
About SD™ as a whole:
Now that the 2 Dudes most responsible for the planet's birth have died,
is a straight up SCOOBY-DOO Created by Joe Ruby & Ken Spears credit on the horizon?
Your thoughts? Thanks.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts