PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Nonetheless, I still disagree with casting Chris Pratt as Mario, as he is not of Italian descent. Someone who is should be voicing him, perhaps even giving him a "mobster" voice to distinguish this version from Charles Martinet's portrayal.

DogBoneController

There's a product style guide all done for the Mario movie per the copyright office.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-21 10.49.29 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-21 10.49.29 AM.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 54

Mandouga

You’ll have to excuse my ignorance on this one, but what exactly is this supposed to mean? Is it something important?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DogBoneController

You’ll have to excuse my ignorance on this one, but what exactly is this supposed to mean? Is it something important?

Product style guides are likely meant for merchandise of the movie. It means the character designs are all done and ready at this point and will likely come out sooner than later (which means the delay from December to April is not because it's being extensively re-worked; they would've had to delay the film a whole year or two if that was the case).

Note the guide was published in June, after the film was delayed.

Update 7/28: Apparently Ed Skudder (Unikitty!, D(u)ck Figures) is the Head of Story for the Mario movie, per his LinkedIn page. Guessing he worked on the story with screenwriter Matthew Fogel.

Last edited:

DogBoneController

Going to make wild guesses on when the full-fledged theatrical trailer post-teaser (assuming there isn't a second teaser) comes out:

* Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade broadcast on NBC
* Patriots-Vikings Thanksgiving prime-time game
* The Game Awards 2022 (though Universal might prefer to get as many eyeballs on the trailer as they can so I doubt it)
* Attached to theaters with Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
* The Buccs-Cardinals Xmas game
* WWE PPV event streaming on Peacock (like Survivor Series or the Royal Rumble)
* Super Bowl LVIII

Mandouga

The antique store visual gag got me.

It got me too…it got me wondering what that’s supposed to mean. After all, these are the makers of the Despicable Me movies we’re talking about, so it could mean anything.

Look, I trust Miyamoto-san, but not Illumination. I’ve said this before, but I hope his “involvement” isn’t just lip service. I came for a Super Mario Bros. movie, not another tribute/parody that relies on the same unfunny gags, and unnecessary pop culture references, and doesn’t know what it’s talking about. I’ll leave it at that…for now.

And BTW…

Older productions (let alone video games) aren’t “antiques”. They’re just as important as newer ones.

See what I did there? This is just sort of thing companies like Illumination sometimes pull on the viewers just to get a quick, spur-of-the-moment, superficial laugh in the short term. Is this what the writers think of older video games (let alone the Mario series), or can it be taken at face value? I’m personally hoping for the latter. In any case, we’ll see. That said, trailers can tell everyone just as much about a movie as the movie itself. At least, I think so…

Asa

Hopefully if the film does well at the box office and if audiences enjoyed the movie, this could lead to Nintendo making more films based off their IPs like Donkey Kong and Zelda.

I also hope this movie will be Illuminations answer to The Peanuts Movie and Into the Spider-verse.

harry580

I came for a Super Mario Bros. movie, not another tribute/parody that relies on the same unfunny gags, and unnecessary pop culture references, and doesn’t know what it’s talking about.
um, where were you this close:
1664945899260.png

1664945940308.png

Last edited:

Mandouga

Then again, that’s still a video game, which kind of changes the rules, plus, it’s a non-canon crossover that Ubisoft created and published themselves under license by Nintendo. I know, “canon” is only loosely defined in the Mario series, but still.

Moe

Then again, that’s still a video game, which kind of changes the rules, plus, it’s a non-canon crossover that Ubisoft created and published themselves under license by Nintendo. I know, “canon” is only loosely defined in the Mario series, but still.

Yeah, Ubisoft has permission to use Nintendo IP to make a game and I don't consider this as parody.

I hopefully this Mario film is reputable and genuine, not Super Mario Bros. in 1992 nor cheap Mario cartoon shows in late 80s and early 90s.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now

Featured Posts