The Wild and Wacky World of K-Pop

Megumi

★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆
I didn't think that I had missed a whole year, but I missed like 5 years before that. Time sure flies.
Well, 2021 seems to be the year of second gen groups/soloists making comebacks. Hyuna, SHINee, U-Know released new music this year. Also, 2PM is going to make a comeback later this year.

Also, as an update to the Spotify/Kakao M situation, they made a new deal and all the music distributed by Kakao M is back on Spotify again(including Spotify Korea).
2021 was a good year for comebacks. It's all a big blur for me now though. I had so much more to say during the year.
Blackpink member Rosé's debut single "On the Ground" has topped the Billboard Global Charts.
I hated this song. It was uninspired and mediocre.
Loona now has the longest streak for an all-female K-pop act on Mediabase's Top 40 as their single "Star" has been on the chart for nine straight weeks.
I loved "Star." I tried to get my family to listen to it, but I also gave them 20+ other English K-pop songs, so I think they kind of just ignored it.
SM Entertainment's new girl group, Aespa made their first comeback with new song, "Next Level."

Uninspired group. The only three songs that I like from them are "Iconic," "Yeppi Yeppi," and "I'll Make You Cry." The rest have been duds. It shouldn't be hard to live up to Red Velvet, but aespa is doing the impossible.
although I not into Kpop but this is my favorite Kpop song:
I love "Gee." It was the first or second K-pop song I had ever heard witht the other being Wonder Girls' "Nobody," of course.
Blackpink's Lisa has become the first female K-pop artist to top the Billboard Rap Digital Song Sales chart as "Money", the B-side to her debut single "Lalisa" topped the chart five days ago.
I'm so confused. "Money" is awful, but all of my foreign friends love it, and it's the more popular of the two on Spotify. I played the hell out of "Lalisa," which is repetitive, but "Money" is beyond generic when it comes to lyrics.

Also, I saw that no one posted about an early SotY contender:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
JYP Entertainment's upcoming girl group, NMIXX just released their debut trailer today. No word yet on their debut date.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Odisha native Shreya Lenka is hopeful on becoming the first Indian K-pop star after she made it through the final round of global auditions held for selecting the fifth member of K-pop group Black Swan.

Megumi

K-pop girl group April has disbanded just a year after several members of the group were accused of allegedly bullying former member Lee Hyun-joo.
Sucks to hear. I only like "Oh! My Mistake." I think they reacted differently than AOA did with their Mina situation. While AOA's reputation is being restored, it looks like a bullying accusation will end a group no matter what.

Tiffany Young also released a new song called "Silver Blue and Gold" on Spotify. I can't find it on YouTube, but here's the Spotify link:
There are no lyrics. Maybe a teaser for some upcoming English work? I love her English songs, so I'm excited for it.

Megumi

I attended a virtual Jamie concert this morning, and i loved her music. It turns out that I already had one of her songs liked on Spotify without even realizing: her "Witch" collab with Hyoyeon, Cheetah, etc. I listened to her new song "Pity Party," and it's nice. Not a lot of views on Spotify and less than a million on YouTube, so it seems she hasn't blown up internationally just yet, but she's talented.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Legendary K-Pop group BIGBANG will be making their comeback in over 4 years in the spring. Also, member T.O.P. has left his long-time agency YG Entertainment but will still continue to promote with the group.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Legendary K-Pop group BIGBANG will be making their comeback in over 4 years in the spring. Also, member T.O.P. has left his long-time agency YG Entertainment but will still continue to promote with the group.

A long time coming and the upcoming new material will be their first as a quartet, given that Seungri left in 2019 due to his role in the Burning Sun scandal and is set to serve an 18-month prison sentence after being found guilty back in August.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Just three months after her departure from Woollim Entertainment along with six others that comprise of the eight-piece K-pop girl group Lovelyz as well as now becoming a full time musical actress in her native South Korea, Kei has been cast as Misa Amane in the upcoming stage musical adaptation of Death Note.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
K-pop singer Suzy is set to release her first set of new material since 2018's Faces of Love later this month.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Girls Generation member and solo singer Taeyeon has released her 3rd full album today. Here's the MV for the title track, "INVU":

Girl group APink has made their first comeback in almost two years with the song, "Dilemma." They released a special album called HORN today as well:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts