"DC Studios' DC Universe" Movie News & Discussion Part 4 (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I certainly hope, even if it isn't Snyder at the helm (and he brings his own baggage to it and weird tics like making a four hour movie to bait and switch the studio), we at least get one more proper JL movie with the cast to wrap up the whole Darkseid thing/Knightmare plot hole that needs closure. I guess I wouldn't mind Crisis but to me, it can barely work for Marvel since the only people they can bring back are the two Spider-Men, the X-Men and maybe a couple Fantastic Four stars. For DC they would end up just bringing the CW verse people back and no one else, and that isn't fun. We're clearly not getting Chris Reeve or Adam West. Who's even left? Smallville? I doubt they'd even invite Dean Cain and Teri at this point!
Cain I get. But what's wrong with Hatcher?

Ed Nygma

Cain I get. But what's wrong with Hatcher?
Nothing, I like both of them! But I doubt they'd invite either of them and certainly not her without him to put a big stamp on "Dean Cain = bad." I would like to see them as they are my favorite portrayals of the character. I love Lois and Clark, Lane Smith was the best Perry, and I always felt John Shea was far and away the best Lex. I think all of them are maybe too niche for the tweens of today to even recall though, so a Crisis movie would be pointless in that regard. There's no one else besides maybe Clooney to put in besides the CW verse.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I actually thought this might have been the animated Crisis movie rumored some time ago but I don't think Hamada would be involved with the animation division.

Ed Nygma

Yeah, Crisis could maybe sort of work for the animated movies (but not really), but a live action is totally redundant after the CW version. I said this above but the only people they could bring in besides the DCEU actors and Arrowverse actors are maybe Linda Carter, Tom Welling and possibly Keaton again. Anyone else is either dead or too ridiculous to include.

For example, say they want to bring in people from the Batman film series- there's no point in bringing in anyone but Batman actors, and Val is too ill. Danny DeVito would maybe be up for a cameo, but would 80 year old Penguin or Mr Freeze make sense showing up? We already saw John Shipp as the Flash and Routh as Superman, the world hates Dean Cain and Adam West and Reeve are dead. I cannot see Bale or Phoenix doing it at all, and bringing in Michael Caine or whoever just to represent the film would be silly. Clooney or Ryan Reynolds or Shaq might show up for a laugh but if he did, so what; no one short of the truly iconic actors would be substantial enough for the plot. All this would do is remind people of how many failures DC has had over the years. I can't see it working at all.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Unless they are offering at least twice the salary she got for Batgirl, I feel Leslie should just flip off Warner Brothers and not have anything to do with them. I mean when your movie that you spend so much time working on is cancelled and not allowed to air at all as a TAX WRITE OFF, it feels like that should be the ultimate you don't stick around for and let them pull on you again. If she chooses to still associate with WB after all this hey that's her choice and all the power in the world to her but seems to me a better statement would have everyone majorly who worked on this movie sign away from Warner Brothers because hey what guarantee are they going to make that will ensure THIS movie is going to actually come out? Like that's a big thing now that WB/DC threw down this gauntlet; any actor now has the right to question if the movie they worked on will be seen as good enough to not be axed. Yeah I know the only major movie that has a chance now of being axed that's just in post production is Flash for more legitimate reasons but again throw down the gauntlet once and you'll always have that stigma around you.

Neo Ultra Mike

Fone Bone: Well I can't hate DC any more then I possibly do-

Fone Bone: ... But then again.....

Granted I at least get why DC would think of Berlanti as whether or not you like the Arrowverse, it has at least in terms of quantity come the closest to actually being a comic book universe outside the comics that rivals the MCU. I mean at it's high point he was behind 6-7 DC shows that people enjoyed so I'm sure DC saw that and were like "well hey maybe that can translate to the movies" which... no. I'm not against Berlanti haven't seen enough of his work and hey I'm one of the few people who not only didn't hate the Green Lantern movie but even saw Love Simon but... the guy seems like he works best on TV series, not with producing feature films or knowing how to operate the highest level of a cinematic universe. The arrowverse had a charm to it being on the CW thus you can excuse some of the more hokey acting or lower budget but you can't do that with feature films. Not to mention though he would probably push for more representation on the LBGTQ+ level which super hero movies certainly need, mainstream movies aren't yet at the level his arrowverse shows are. Maybe one day but it ain't now. So I don't see him as a good choice but I know other people who'd have more problems then me with that.

Neo Ultra Mike

Now we can expect kindergarten morals like listening to your friends, believing in yourself, and sharing your juiceboxes at snacktime.

I can't believe I'm saying but at the very least, that would be a step up from all the morals so far of the DCEU because... yeah remember what those are.

Man Of Steel: "It's okay to kill someone when there were many alternatives to not doing so if you feel bad about it for... two minutes then totally forget about it."

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice "Your quest for vengeance against someone you deem a planetary threat can be overturned finding out your moms have the same name and also he's going to probably die from pointlessly sacrificing himself to a greater threat anyway."

Suicide Squad: "Rotten criminals deemed the worst of the worst only need an afternoon destroying an immortal witch to become a family. Also if you make a movie too dark, you can't get a trailer studio to redo and in turn... hope circumstances will get someone you ripped off to work for you on the next one."

Wonder Woman: "In a world chaotic there aren't just good and evil, but men willing to do what is needed for their own cause. And sometimes the most you can do is what you feel is right for we are all guilty in this world of *hearts chatter from studio heads* I mean uh the power of love saves all and there's totally a bad guy you can pin this on and blow up to stop people from fighting... but then go in exile for a century and don't bother stopping more fighting because you're sad your boyfriend died."

Justice League: "Hey remember when we tried being about deeper meanings and asking tough question the competition wouldn't? Yeah you didn't like that so we're going to throw away all those all ideas and reshoot goofy stuff in order for share holders to keep their bonuses I mean uh... for the league to unite and save us all... just as planned... yeah.

Aquaman: "Heavy Is The Head That Wears The Crown... As In If You Can Bury A Story Under A Lot Of Incredible Fun Special Under Water Effects And Jubilant Bombast, You Can Make A King's Fortune At The Box Office. And Turn The Joke of the DC Universe For Years Into It's Highest Earner Ever. "

Shazam: "Found Family Is A Hell Of A Lot Better Then Your Real Mother Who Will Ditch You Because Things Are Just Too Hard. Also even if you can't earn a lot of money being fun, you will earn a lot of positive reviews and that will still net you a sequel."

Birds Of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) - "Probably a bad idea to brag about leaving the Joker after a beloved Oscar winning film just came out about Mr J... I mean probably a bad idea to have a super long confusing title about who the star of the movie even is... I mean probably a bad idea to center a story around an anti hero's independence when a cartoon just came out that did that arc a lot of better... I mean don't swallow diamonds in Gotham, or else everyone will want to hunt you down."

Wonder Woman 1984 - "Making wishes is bad and you should be happy with what you have. Because apparently everyone's greatest heart's desire is greedy in some way and needs to be stopped, but only after your ex boyfriend comes back in a stranger's body and you sleep with him. Gotta get that in before you learn wishing is bad."

Justice League: The Snyder Cut - "Apparently the same story told twice as long but more seriously with extra padding for projects that we know will never come out makes it a million times better."

The Suicide Squad - "Okay maybe you can actually redeem the worst of the worst in a reasonable way in like a two hour time frame. Just have a lot more blood and swearing and embracing the actual premise of your material. Oh also if an actor shows premise despite killing him off, you can fudge things in your end credits to bring him back for his own show."

... Okay maybe those aren't the lessons of the DCEU but they feel like them don't they?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Essentially every moral DC tries to teach the audience through live-action TV and film projects is messed up. Berlanti is the last guy to fix it is my point.

Ed Nygma

Yeah, I think it's time to end the CW/Arrowverse influence once and for all. Add me to the crowd saying 'no' to Berlanti as a DC Feige. I never liked the vibe Smallville gave off which was kind of a disrespect to the source material while paying lip service to the fans (comic creators LOVED Smallville to a degree it never deserved, probably by virtue of there being no successful DC properties to compare to at the time) while just targeting the 18-24 crowd with whatever was 'trendy' in the day and now horribly dated.

That vibe kind of carried over to the CW shows, so I feel like we've that whole cheap 'The Wb' aesthetic for over 20 years straight, and was kind of relieved it was ending. I don't want that vibe transferred to the movies. WB needs to stop chasing trends and just finally listen to someone who cares about the source material, other than Berlanti or pretenders like Geoff Johns who no one is on the same page as.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts