Thoughts on the treatment of animators

Rhaynebow

I noticed a growing discussion in one of the action toons threads about the treatment of animators in Japan, partially inspired by this article.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/artist-r...nt-just-tough-its-illegally-harsh-110074.html

I wanted to see what everyone thought about the idea of cheap labor in the animation industry. As we know, shipping off productions of American cartoons to foreign countries isn't exactly new, but I found it interesting that some people were suddenly up in arms once they heard how anime is really made.

Personally, I feel that while the treatment of animators is cruel, it's not as devastating as the stories of children working in factories to make shoes. To me, nobody becomes an animator to make ends meet. It is not a field for the desperate since you're only needed when there's a show to be made. In contrast, everybody needs shoes 365 days a year, so such work is always needed. Nobody would've forced these people to become animators. They chose to be in such a field, as unfortunate as their conditions are. But whose story would you rather hear? A guy who loved cartoons and is now being worked to death as an animator, or a guy who needs to provide for his family and is now being worked to death in an electrical equipment factory?

Tell me what you guys all think about this trend. Please be courteous to those with differing opinions though. You may disagree, but try not to force your feelings.

Classic Speedy

John Belushi as Slimer
Staff member
Reporter
From what I observe, Japan's working conditions are a combination of a multitude of problems: The workaholic ethic of Japan (combined with the "grin and bear it" mentality), the large quantity of new series that debut every season that virtually requires such heavy workloads, and complicated designs that take longer to draw properly than, say, Dexter's Lab (nothing against that show, just saying the designs are relatively easy to draw). And the high cost of living in Japan isn't helping.

At the very least, the pay needs to be raised so that people can live on their wage. Overtime is unavoidable for TV production, but it shouldn't be a constant thing and, if it happens, there should be overtime pay.

Scrappy-Fan92

Just because someone doesn't have the absolute worst working conditions in the world doesn't mean they can't improve. I believe the people who provide us entertainment should be treated better, especially because I want to work in the animation industry when I get older.

Dudley

Staff member
For starters to improve the working condition: Japan really shouldn't pay animators by the drawing. They should get paid by the hour.

Classic Speedy

John Belushi as Slimer
Staff member
Reporter
For starters to improve the working condition: Japan really shouldn't pay animators by the drawing. They should get paid by the hour.
Especially since anime is known for limited animation during talky scenes. If you're an animator who isn't working on scenes that require a lot of animation (and thus, not as many drawings), you're kinda screwed.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Found this from Reddit. Had to trim the original a bit. And yeah the guy in the 2nd half of this is the new Sokka actor.
20 years ago today, Apple released Mac OS 9.2.2, the very last version of their classic operating system. It would be available on computers as late as mid-2003, whilst Mac OS X (now macOS) up to 10.4.11 had Classic Environment for computers released before the Intel switch in 2006.
Asa
Today would've been the 120th birthday of Walt Disney.
Man I love how progressively insane Jojo gets

Featured Posts