"ThunderCats Roar" News & Discussion Thread

J.T. Drago

I am more inclined that the Legends of Chima was not created as a substitute to the 2011 ThunderCats reboot. The 2011 ThunderCats reboot was canceled either because somebody was so busy with The Legend of Korra, because of Studio 4°C's restructuring or because of the changes done to the Japanese animation industry system. How about that and what do you think?

I think it was less that Legends of Chima was trying to substitute Thundercats, but it felt more like they were trying to take advantage of the situation and make some money with a similar looking IP. I could be wrong though.

Not too sure about Korra being a factor, but I guess it isn't impossible. I still do think Warner Brothers did shoot themselves in the foot getting a Japanese anime studio to do the animation instead of outsourcing to a South Korean studio cause I'm sure Thundercats 2011 costed a ton to produce. Doesn't help that to my knowledge, the show was relying on toy sales.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So I found this tweet from March where Marly Halpern Graser said that, in regards to the Teen Titans Go crossover episode, neither he nor anyone involved with Thundercats Roar worked on that episode.

Vuxovich

5YearsOnEastCoast

So it seems that Thundercats Roar has been removed from a lot of platforms

It doesn't seem to be anyway to legally watch a full episode of Thundercats Roar.

Is Thundercats Roar getting a tax-write-off?

Light Lucario

Staff member
It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I believe they did the same thing with the 2011 series. With this reboot also only lasting for one season, it might have been more appealing to get the tax write-off treatment.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I believe they did the same thing with the 2011 series. With this reboot also only lasting for one season, it might have been more appealing to get the tax write-off treatment.
It's infuriating if it's true. Zaslov is taking stuff out of the pop-culture landscape because it's cheaper to destroy it than keep it as a part of the catalog. John Oliver described what he was doing at HBO as setting an arson fire to collect the insurance money and that was spot-on. The loser? The viewers who will lose great chunks of entertainment if this specific precedent it allowed to stand.

Frankly, were I the creators of these shows and movies I'd sue his ass. He's definitely breaking their trust and must be violating their contracts in some way. This specific thing being legal strikes me as a huge oversight. It shouldn't be.

Edit:

For the record, even though they've been removed from HBO Max, both the original and 2011 are still available to watch on Hulu (which also seems to claim Roar is available via live TV subscription.) I can't say if Roar has been written off or not. But both 1985 and 2011 have definitely not been. At least not yet.

Moe

Oh wow!!! Too late for me to buy all seasons of Final Space, but fortunately, I bought ThunderCats Roar when they were on sale via iTunes.

Is Thundercats Roar getting a tax-write-off?
Removal of ThunderCats Roar showed that Discovery used this as tax write-off.

The tax law and IRS code needs to be amended to ensure that studios don't take advantage and exploit the tax system, so ThunderCats Roar is finished project and it shouldn't be part of tax write-off, in my opinion.

It's infuriating if it's true. Zaslov is taking stuff out of the pop-culture landscape because it's cheaper to destroy it than keep it as a part of the catalog. John Oliver described what he was doing at HBO as setting an arson fire to collect the insurance money and that was spot-on. The loser? The viewers who will lose great chunks of entertainment if this specific precedent it allowed to stand.
Yes, it made me very angry at Zaslov and I feel very bad for creators who worked hard to make those shows.

Frankly, were I the creators of these shows and movies I'd sue his ass. He's definitely breaking their trust and must be violating their contracts in some way. This specific thing being legal strikes me as a huge oversight. It shouldn't be.
I agree with you and I will do same - remember - Better Call Saul, well known lawyer.

For the record, even though they've been removed from HBO Max, both the original and 2011 are still available to watch on Hulu (which also seems to claim Roar is available via live TV subscription.) I can't say if Roar has been written off or not. But both 1985 and 2011 have definitely not been. At least not yet.
ThunderCats '85 and '11 are available on iTunes so they probably aren't qualify for tax write-off due to length of years, so not sure about how many years are contents to be qualified for tax write-off.

If ThunderCats Roar is delisted from iTunes so it is 95% chance that show has been tax write-off by Discovery, and ThunderCats Roar is 2 years old and Final Space is 4 years old.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
The tax law and IRS code needs to be amended to ensure that studios don't take advantage and exploit the tax system, so ThunderCats Roar is finished project and it shouldn't be part of tax write-off, in my opinion.
Same. I never liked that practice at all since it happened to not just the 2011 reboot of ThunderCats but also Sym-Bionic Titan, Megas XLR and so on.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
If Thundercats Roar is a tax write-off than that should mean people would stop complaining about it.

Those complaints are well over two years since the show ended, so it’s irrelevant now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts