Times You've Seen Age-Inappropriate Advertising During Kids' TV Commercials

AnimatedFan01

Have you ever seen a children's television network, like Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon outside of their respective Adult Swim and Nick@Nite hours, air commercials for adult-oriented content during breaks?

Since local advertising often intervenes on cable TV, it isn't uncommon to see commercials for services aimed at adults during CN's hours.

I remember seeing a trailer for the 2012 R-rated Seth MacFarlane movie Ted during an airing of Adventure Time ten years back.

I also remember The Simpsons Movie being advertised heavily in the summer of 2007 during Cartoon Network commercial breaks; although, since it was a Kids' Choice Award nomination on Nickelodeon and had a kids' meal tie-in with Burger King, as well as the fact that there have been several PG-13 movies marketed as for kids (especially if they involve superheroes), this may be a less serious example.

I also recount seeing an ad for a Family Guy DVD during a Saturday or Sunday morning airing of The Mr. Men Show on Cartoon Network, probably because it came on just one hour after Adult Swim finished and the advertising between the 5:00 AM and 6:00 AM hours which divide AS and CN tend to overlap.

Zorak Masaki

Way back in 1999, I saw an ad for the syndicated airing of Grade School Confidential, complete with the "Sex Cauldron" joke during a rerun of Garfield and Friends (albiet, an early morning rerun of G&F).

Going more recent, I remember Toonami (pre-Adult Swim revival) airing commercials for Joe Dirt, Talladega Nights and Just Go With It. While those were PG-13 films, they were hardly family-friendly.

CNC

Does this *technically* count? Where I lived, it played a lot when I was watching CN during their local ad space.
I guess it's technically age-inappropriate because kids like me at the time did NOT know what a "timeshare" is back then and that it's targeted to adults only. However, I think it's also inappropriate for adults too, because what they are doing is selling them a phony scam.

Pooky

I also remember The Simpsons Movie being advertised heavily in the summer of 2007 during Cartoon Network commercial breaks; although, since it was a Kids' Choice Award nomination on Nickelodeon and had a kids' meal tie-in with Burger King, as well as the fact that there have been several PG-13 movies marketed as for kids (especially if they involve superheroes), this may be a less serious example.

Kids have been a big part of the audience for The Simpsons from pretty much day one; Bart and Milhouse were even advertising Butterfinger candy bars before it was a half-hour series. I would have been more surprised if they hadn't advertised that to kids. It's a pretty mild PG-13 (it's a PG in the UK). A lot of PG-13 movies were pretty heavily marketed to kids in the 90s (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Jurassic Park, Batman & Robin) and I'm sure to this day.

AnimatedFan01

Kids have been a big part of the audience for The Simpsons from pretty much day one; Bart and Milhouse were even advertising Butterfinger candy bars before it was a half-hour series. I would have been more surprised if they hadn't advertised that to kids. It's a pretty mild PG-13 (it's a PG in the UK).
Except for the brief scene where Bart's privates are visible while skateboarding, which is blocked out or cut when aired on TV.

cartoo5007

Except for the brief scene where Bart's privates are visible while skateboarding, which is blocked out or cut when aired on TV.

I remember when Bart's bells and whistles were visible for a brief time during the Simpson's movie. I guess because it's male nudity, it didn't constitute an R rating.

Pooky

It's because it's animated nudity; male nudity at that time would get you an NC-17!

TheMisterManGuy

Going more recent, I remember Toonami (pre-Adult Swim revival) airing commercials for Joe Dirt, Talladega Nights and Just Go With It. While those were PG-13 films, they were hardly family-friendly.
Those at least made a little more sense. Toonami skewed older than other CN programing, so it wasn't uncommon for PG-13 films like those to be advertised during the block. What would make it odd, would be if those movies were to be advertised during say, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends at 2:00 p.m.

To answer OP's question, I remember Old Spice being advertised during Adventure Time once, if that counts.

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

I remember when Bart's bells and whistles were visible for a brief time during the Simpson's movie. I guess because it's male nudity, it didn't constitute an R rating.
I think it has more to do with it being animated, a kid, and played for laughs.

Anyways, ads for PG-13 movies during kids programming is nothing new. I really want to say that’s ads for a lot of comedies like Rat Race and Bubbleboy were all over the place on CN in the early 2000’s.

stephane dumas

Does PSAs(public service announcement) count? I remember a time when CBC, CTV, Global tv affiliates as well as YTV showed this show this anti-drug PSA on Saturday mornings (and YTV showed it in the weekdays afternoons as well) in the 1990s but it was well done and aged well.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Does PSAs(public service announcement) count? I remember a time when CBC, CTV, Global tv affiliates as well as YTV showed this show this anti-drug PSA on Saturday mornings (and YTV showed it in the weekdays afternoons as well) in the 1990s but it was well done and aged well.
The organization behind that PSA was called "Concerned Children's Advertisers".

AnimatedFan01

I also recall The Hangover trailer being shown during commercial breaks on Nickelodeon for SpongeBob and iCarly back in 2009.

cartoo5007

I also recall The Hangover trailer being shown during commercial breaks on Nickelodeon for SpongeBob and iCarly back in 2009.

The commercials actually differ on the HD feed of the channel versus the standard one. Since it was 2009, I'm assuming you were watching the standard feed at the time.

Markus Nelis

Can you name any examples?
I easily forget but I can name a few: Face cream protection, eyelash products, money save insurance and so on. I know parents may watch sometimes but at the same time all this stuff taking over most of advertisement time doesn't make a lot sense. Air more toy commercials.

Dr.Pepper

I easily forget but I can name a few: Face cream protection, eyelash products, money save insurance and so on. I know parents may watch sometimes but at the same time all this stuff taking over most of advertisement time doesn't make a lot sense. Air more toy commercials.
I think in same cases, especially the insurance ads, they are placed there by your cable or satellite provider.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Nowadays, Cartoon Network have done everything they can to bury Powerpuff Girls Z, not referencing it in Crossover Nexus and other Cartoon Network media. Why?!
Twitter, why are you such a bane of my existence?
the_joker wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I just found out a life-size Lucario plush exists.
Today marks the 20th Year Anniversary of (the "formal" premiere of) Codename: Kids Next Door. This show is one of (if not) my favorite Cartoon Network show(s) and I remain hopeful that Tom Warburton's wish for the sequel show to see the light of day become a reality.
Damnit, I’m so distraught. Why can’t these times ever let the hell up?

Mills Lane, Hall of Fame Referee, Passes Away at 85 - Boxing News

Featured Posts