Boomerang International News and Discussion Thread 4.0

Francisque

I'm thinking now Boomerang UK has lost much of the original purposes, isn't it time to bring it back, by also catering older audiences A LITTLE BIT?

Having a Checkered Past-kind of block on Boomerang would definitely help

Daffyrocks

Back from the dead.... or...?
finally, more of the UK variants of these NEXT bumpers!!!!! From the way I see it, the UK feed may have been the one who originally introduced this semi-rebrand, while the EMEA feed adapted them by "simplifying" the bumpers (with adding the normal blue background). That background from the UK bumpers really looks like something invented by them, basically from the time the channel was still in the "teens-catering phase".

Francisque

Yes, the very confusing post-Toonami period.

2006's Toonami UK clearly and not surprisingly failing as a kind of "tween" channel clearly inspired by Disney Channel, and Boomerang somehow skewing that demographic from time to time after that, with a rebrand to match.
Toonami UK would "become" CN Too 24/7 (with CN Too clearly becoming nothing but a more Cartoon Network 2) and Cartoonito being expanded (not surprisingly, again) as its own channel on the former part-time CN Too frequency (timeshared with TCM2)

Butt that 2007 rebrand match was more of a UK exclusive, with Boomerang EMEA only getting some generic promos, some Next bumpers and not much else.

Clearly 2006-7 were quite confusing, especially with the CN Too part-time channel (also a failed experiment, especially in the 2006 "classic toons" form + Cartoonito); but it led to the idea of Cartoonito, including the Cartoonito we now quite well know...

Markus Nelis

Final Boomerang Nordic schedule before the switch to a 24/7 Cartoonito launch:

06:00 Mr Bean
06:35 The Tom and Jerry Show
07:00 Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?
07:25 Looney Tunes Cartoona
07:45 Grizzy and the Lemmings
08:00 Cartoonito
12:05 Tom and Jerry Tales
13:10 Tom and Jerry in New York
14:10 The Tom and Jerry Show
15:00 Cartoonito
19:00 Mr Bean
19:20 Looney Tunes Cartoons
19:30 Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?
19:50 The Tom and Jerry Show
20:00 Grizzy and the Lemmings
20:40 Be Cool Scooby-Doo
21:00 Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Incoporated
21:45 The Tom and Jerry Show
21:55 Grizzy and the Lemmings
22:15 Mighty Mike
22:40 What's New Scooby-Doo?
23:20 The Looney Tunes Show
23:45 New Looney Tunes
00:00 Grizzy / Mush-Mush and the Mushables
05:30 Mr Bean

Once Cartoonito launches, Mr Bean, The Tom and Jerry Show, Tom and Jerry in New York and Grizzy and the Lemmings stay. While rest of the shows either move to CN or are gone completely between both channels.

Yes, I know I already posted this but that was on a temporary site so I decided to do it again...

thetellyweb

TellyToon
finally, more of the UK variants of these NEXT bumpers!!!!! From the way I see it, the UK feed may have been the one who originally introduced this semi-rebrand, while the EMEA feed adapted them by "simplifying" the bumpers (with adding the normal blue background). That background from the UK bumpers really looks like something invented by them, basically from the time the channel was still in the "teens-catering phase".

And yet I couldn't help but feel there were signs of it. First Toonami was closed, then some of Boomerang's programming like Danger Mouse, Garfield and Animaniacs were gone, and then Fraggle Rock was premiered. But what probably hinted the huge change was the early releases of My Spy Family and Latest Buzz, which ran hour long sneak peeks on weekends, and then they didn't even have a proper Next/Later ident (just the generic Boomerang ID with the announcer voiceover)

That and what followed after is where Boomerang UK lost the point of it's name. Sure there were contemporary cartoons thrown in here and there, but they still had some charm, and could blend in with the early cartoon stars. But I don't think "teenage sitcoms" or "a singing contest with gunge" when I hear the name Boomerang, in the same way people don't like the concept of Cartoon Network moving to live-action.
And while the bumpers from this look were creative, and with decent music, I forget that these would also be playing before something like Top Cat or Roobarb.

J10

I wonder if now it will actually be rebranded.
Or maybe they’ll rename the channel, where they would match the scheduling of the channel, but that won’t happen.

I guess if they wanted to change the name with the new partner, they could use “CN Thai”, and use the US look with it, which was debuted last year and in Canada this year, after it rebrands to the new name, or use Boing instead, which is going to be more popular there.

Good News: Boomerang Thailand has been saved from the dead, MVTV is Warner Bros. Discovery's new local partner for the channel. The channel was supposed to close tomorrow (1st September).

So, the old partner doesn’t want to renew and they instead went to negotiate with a new partner?

Last edited:

Markus Nelis

Boomerang France has changed a lot since Boing changed to Cartoonito. Barely any preschool shows. It's actually a decent feed now. Boomerang France and the UK will be safe. I can tell you that now since CN in both counties don't have enough room as they usually want to air TTG as much as possible. Not to mention of the strong TV market.

As for Boomerang Italy, I don't think that will last long, it's Cartoonito most of the time. They already have a 24h Cartoonito.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Boomerang France has changed a lot since Boing changed to Cartoonito. Barely any preschool shows. It's actually a decent feed now. Boomerang France and the UK will be safe. I can tell you that now since CN in both counties don't have enough room as they usually want to air TTG as much as possible. Not to mention of the strong TV market.

As for Boomerang Italy, I don't think that will last long, it's Cartoonito most of the time. They already have a 24h Cartoonito.

What's keeping Boomerang Italy alive is the fact that its an exclusive home/first window for Cartoonito shows, especially original animated series that cost money to make such as Batwheels and Bugs Bunny Builders. Cartoonito Italy is FTA (and already makes use of programming from other broadcasters such as Nick Jr), Boomerang is Pay.

So, the old partner doesn’t want to renew and they instead went to negotiate with a new partner?

It seems so, luckily they found a new partner in time.

Last edited:

Francisque

Boomerang Italy should survive as a kind of Cartoonito for pay, but since pay TV is almost on its last legs in Italy, then Cartoon Network possibly merging with Boing for a CN free service (which is what I prefer, definitely prefer that to the Boing brand) would also be a possibility.
They can still make agreements for having them on Sky, like with the other Mediaset and WBD channels (aside from Warner TV)

But as long as Boing and Cartoonito aren't on Sky, then they could/should survive, although Boomerang IT has clearly lost any original spirit

Markus Nelis

But as long as Boing and Cartoonito aren't on Sky, then they could/should survive, although Boomerang IT has clearly lost any original spirit
Tbh, it's been like this for years by now. While it's possible to see if Boom IT surviving, it definitely won't be the last feed to shut down.

Francisque

Yeah, I'm just saying that it has a kind of remit as long as Cartoonito isn't on Sky, as Boing also isn't.

Daffyrocks

Back from the dead.... or...?
Today is the last day of Boomerang Nordic. The last program on the channel is Mr Bean tonight (or early tomorrow) at 5:30a. While Cartoonito launches with Grizzy and the Lemmings.
as well as the last days of the MENA and Turkish feeds.... Yeah, they will turn into something way more nonsensical and stupid

Reactions: J10

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts