"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

RunoMisaki573

I'm placing my bets on Mob Psycho 100 episode premieres and Tokyo Mew Mew New since they are anime I really want to see on the block. The Fox Box is no more, as the original Tokyo Mew Mew dub aired there originally. That's why I want TMMN on Toonami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Going into marathon mode already definitely makes me think it's more likely that they're just waiting until January for their budget to reset. I can't really see them premiering a new show in December at this rate.

Jason DeMarco just responded on Twitter and that's basically the answer:

As usual, it's not a lack of trying on their part but stuff out of their control.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm not surprised. It is rough their plans fell through, especially when multiple series left the block recently. They usually save their marathons for later in December, so starting the month off with a marathon instead was a pretty huge sign. I'm curious about what new shows they have lined up though. They might be able to announce them later in December to create more hype, but I wouldn't be shocked if they have to wait until after New Years to make any official announcements.

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
I'm pretty sure Toonami's it's going to do another marathon on December 25 because that's on a Saturday and also it's Christmas.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
It would be odd if a show from Toonami's normal allies like Funimation show fell through as those shows used to be really easy to get. Then again, if we remember the Hellsing Ultimate contract debacle, it's possible things don't always go super easy with Funimation. Toonami could be in bad shape if they couldn't offer the price Funimation wanted for any of their shows and they couldn't just pick a backup show. With a large selection of action anime these past two years, it's hard to believe they were all out of reach. I guess Toonami's been super boxed in with shonen and they refuse to show any other kind of action anime no matter how successful on streaming services. I guess they just hate isekai and know mecha gets terrible ratings. Of course, it's possible they are trying to negotiate with Crunchyroll despite the fact that getting a Crunchyroll show is ridiculously difficult. I'm guessing they actually are passing on affordable Funimation shows so they can attempt to get a Crunchyroll show despite how ridiculously expensive they are. My primary guess right now is that they are waiting until the January budget reset to get their hands on Jujutsu Kaisen as it's the most recent big battle shonen. Still, it would really suck if they could have aired Assassination Classroom season 2, Megalobox Nomad, and SSSS.Dynazenon, but decided Jujutsu Kaisen was more valuable than all three of those shows combined and worth all the stall tactics to get a show that has a bigger price tag than multiple combined Funimation shows. Being how I thought the show was a generic Bleach ripoff despite action sequences that rival Demon Slayer's, I would be upset if Toonami is making this move, but considering Toonami's recent battle shonen addiction and shunning of other genres, I predict they are indeed splurging for it.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I wonder if in this transition period of being sold to Sony, would Crunchyroll be more amiable and making several deals with Toonami while they can.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I wonder if in this transition period of being sold to Sony, would Crunchyroll be more amiable and making several deals with Toonami while they can.

Considering the fact that Toonami couldn't get any new content after the mass exodus of shows in October, probably not yet. Some people are theorizing the internal changes of Sony's Crunchyroll acquisition and the upcoming Funimation/Crunchyroll merger are actually going to make it harder for Toonami. Former staunch ally Funimation might not be as friendly with Toonami as they used to with the merger upcoming. That could explain why we have gotten no Funimation content since the process began.

Demarco also revealed something else interesting, despite streaming on Adult Swim and several other platforms, Netflix bought the broadcast rights for Bebop just to spite Adult Swim. Streaming sites are actively out to get Toonami now. I know Bebop used to be played to death, but Super and Attack on Titan are the new overplayed reruns and some miss Bebop. Let's hope 2022 Toonami can keep their Funimation alliance despite the internal changes within the company considering they are the number one provider of Toonami content.

DonkeyKongSong

According to Swimpedia and CNschedules, we're getting yet another Blade Runner marathon on the 10th... the first five episodes, then the first three. Nothing new, and it's the whole lineup.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Three Blade Runner marathons in three weeks. This is the most ridiculous pushing of a show out there. It must have seriously damaged the Toonami piggy bank if they are making it Toonami's Teen Titans Go in terms of how overplayed it is. I know Demarco said negotiations fell through getting shows, but that was probably because they couldn't offer a price that pleased the other party. If the 11th is another Blade Runner marathon, I'll puke. Even Dragonball Super marathons would be preferable at this point.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Three Blade Runner marathons in three weeks. This is the most ridiculous pushing of a show out there. It must have seriously damaged the Toonami piggy bank if they are making it Toonami's Teen Titans Go in terms of how overplayed it is. I know Demarco said negotiations fell through getting shows, but that was probably because they couldn't offer a price that pleased the other party. If the 11th is another Blade Runner marathon, I'll puke. Even Dragonball Super marathons would be preferable at this point.
Well, yeah. CGI animation is way more expensive than traditional animation. At least twice as much per half hour episode.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Black Lotus marathon on December 4th.

259553911_2848634465427382_5806795277731464962_n.jpg

I'm done. I'm just done.
What do you mean by that?

Last edited:

DonkeyKongSong

...I was wrong.

Turns out that other Blade Runner marathon won't be on the 11th, but rather the 10th. Yes, a Friday again.

This means either there will be another special Friday Toonami, or the show will simply air on [adult swim] proper.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
...I was wrong.

Turns out that other Blade Runner marathon won't be on the 11th, but rather the 10th. Yes, a Friday again.

This means either there will be another special Friday Toonami, or the show will simply air on [adult swim] proper.

Interesting. Makes me wonder if they're going to air the original Blade Runner movie on that day.

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
Well, yeah. CGI animation is way more expensive than traditional animation. At least twice as much per half hour episode.

Even if it looks like a PS2 game?

Seriously, I want to know what the animation budget for Fena was vs Black Lotus. If BL is somehow higher, someone should seriously be fired.

I really don't know what it's gonna take to convince networks and streamers that nobody, nowhere, wants bland, sterile CGI with characters that look like lifeless robots over just good, basic 2D animation. If CGI doesn't have a theatrical budget, maybe at least give it some kind of interesting style? That League of Legends show seems to be doing good, and it's the one CGI show that doesn't have dead-eyed characters right now.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
The thing with Crunchyroll is that they can take the hit with crappy originals as Demon Slayer's helping them rake up dough. Toonami will hurt far more than Crunchyroll as they are now the far smaller fish, especially since Crunchyroll and Funimation are eventually going to merge supposedly. The originals seemed to drain the budget out by October, so the negative reception to Fena and Blade Runner: Black Lotus seems to be really damaging. At least the January lineup might bring hope. I know that 2021 has probably surpassed last year as Toonami's worst year ever with even some third party acquisitions (Promised Neverland season 2) belonging in the same pile as the originals.

Let's cross our fingers and hope that Gen:Lock season 2 is not one of the January newcomers to the block. It's CGI is even worse than season 1 and I hear it's supposed to be a real abomination now with graphic sex and gore. I guess it's supposed to be worse than even Promised Neverland season 2 when it comes to sequels to Toonami shows.

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
The real question is how much did both Toonami and Crunchyroll respectively contribute to the budget of these originals? I have a feeling CR is providing the bulk of it, though I can't prove that - it just makes more sense because they have the larger upside if it's a success. If CR can hit big on an original with their name on it, that you have to use their service to get, that dividend pays off in new subscribers. For a streaming platform, that's the whole ballgame. For Toonami it's not so simple. Yes, they'd presumably get better ad revenue, but how much is that really these days? For linear cable tv on what is already a niche programming block? I think more importantly would be the prestige that would come from a big original hit, and the hope that it would bring viewers that might not otherwise think to look for new exciting content on an outdated type of content provider.

The reality is that Toonami is not in a position to draw fans otherwise. If I really like Food Wars, I'm just gonna binge it on HBO instead of waiting for Toonami to eventually get the new season and air it weekly. Same can be said for most of their shows. But a new hot show that gets positive buzz might get people to come back, and at that point you have to hope the presentation of the block and the nostalgia for it keeps people around, plus the hope that more like it will come down the pipe. That increases brand strength as well. But that won't happen if they're just running out old stuff we can see elsewhere.

Problem is, they can't exactly afford much trial-and-error. Rare is the case of an AMC, where their first 3 originals were Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead. They're still living off the money and prestige those 3 shows generated. That's too much for Toonami to hope for, in an already niche market, but they HAVE TO do better than Fena and Black Lotus, or they won't get many more chances.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Crunchyroll might have more to gain, but Toonami does have more to lose if an original fails. The long string of failed Crunchyroll Originals including Gibiate, Ex Arm, High Guardian Spice, and the Toonami coproductions seemingly have no negative effect on Crunchyroll, but we can see that Toonami does take a blow. I guess Crunchyroll didn't foot enough of the bill if Toonami's in the shape it's in now. Even though these are Toonami Originals, they still have to share streaming with Crunchyroll (although they show the Japanese version). Toonami still has at least one exclusive dub that doesn't stream, that being Demon Slayer. Still no news if Demon Slayer's dub will be a Toonami exclusive or if we get a Yashahime situation where the dub debuts on streaming first. With Toonami's situation, I can see them losing exclusivity or being in the situation they are in right now just to save up money for exclusivity. They might have passed on getting Assassination Classroom season 2 and Megalobox Nomad just to make sure that the Demon Slayer dub doesn't end up on streaming until a year after it airs on Toonami. If the dub debuts on streaming, that would be the final nail in the coffin of Toonami's relevance. They may still exist a few years, but they would be irrelevant.

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
We got the lineups for December 11th and December 18th
1638388423478.png
1638388577742.png

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts