"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
God, what a shitshow. The only positive here is that I've never seen The Animatrix before, but it's also been out for 18 years...
Netflix bought the broadcast rights for Bebop just to spite Adult Swim. Streaming sites are actively out to get Toonami now.
I hope they realize that's actively pathetic on their part. If you feel threatened by a block that airs on a dying medium in the middle of the night, it's time to look in the mirror and figure out why you're sucking so bad.

Zorak Masaki

A TRIPLE shot of Yashihime? I like the show, but that might be a bit too much, especially since it's not exactly killing it in the ratings at the moment.

RunoMisaki573

Does this mean Dr.STONE is gong back to Episode 1 on the 11th? The series is still on the lineup, and the Season 2 finale will air this Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Man, the first regular week of 2022 is going to be really interesting. Burning off the rest of Yashahime season 1 means the only two shows with new episodes left are Black Lotus (which is only 13 episodes) and Naruto Shippuden. Three open slots at the front half of the block.

Yashahime season 2 is an obvious choice to fill one of those slots, but I'm uncertain of what could air in the other two. Attack on Titan will be returning, but I expect that to replace Black Lotus. They still have Assassination Classroom season 2 in limbo, so they may as well throw that on. I guess Demon Slayer season 2 could also be a strong possibility, haven't heard any news on the dub though. It does disappoint me that all I can expect now are continuations of earlier shows, but I've kind of given up predicting newcomers (I can't even predict Chainsaw Man for later in 2022 because Netflix might scoop it up at a moment's notice).

I really do think the shows they choose for next month is going to be the make-or-break moment for a lot of viewers. Morale is already extremely low among the Toonami fanbase right now, so if they get some contentious garbage like genLOCK season 2 or replace a premiere slot with more reruns, the reaction won't be pretty.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
We got the lineups for December 11th and December 18th
View attachment 292699 View attachment 292702
giphy.gif

Welp, not much to see in December as we already knew pretty much.

RunoMisaki573

Man, the first regular week of 2022 is going to be really interesting. Burning off the rest of Yashahime season 1 means the only two shows with new episodes left are Black Lotus (which is only 13 episodes) and Naruto Shippuden. Three open slots at the front half of the block.

Yashahime season 2 is an obvious choice to fill one of those slots, but I'm uncertain of what could air in the other two. Attack on Titan will be returning, but I expect that to replace Black Lotus. They still have Assassination Classroom season 2 in limbo, so they may as well throw that on. I guess Demon Slayer season 2 could also be a strong possibility, haven't heard any news on the dub though. It does disappoint me that all I can expect now are continuations of earlier shows, but I've kind of given up predicting newcomers (I can't even predict Chainsaw Man for later in 2022 because Netflix might scoop it up at a moment's notice).

I really do think the shows they choose for next month is going to be the make-or-break moment for a lot of viewers. Morale is already extremely low among the Toonami fanbase right now, so if they get some contentious garbage like genLOCK season 2 or replace a premiere slot with more reruns, the reaction won't be pretty.

Hopefully they air Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 and (potentially) The Final Season if that gets dubbed, too.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I hope they realize that's actively pathetic on their part. If you feel threatened by a block that airs on a dying medium in the middle of the night, it's time to look in the mirror and figure out why you're sucking so bad.
It's not exactly unprovoked as Adult Swim signed an exclusivity contract to keep the dubs of Jojo and Demon Slayer off Netflix as long as possible. If not for Crunchyroll and Funimation intervening, Netflix probably would have gunned for exclusive Demon Slayer access. I'm guessing after the budget reset, Toonami will counterattack against streaming by attempting to prevent the Demon Slayer season 2 dub from going to streaming.

DonkeyKongSong

I'm just going to watch Blade Runner and go to bed on the 11th.

For the 18th, I haven't seen The Animatrix, but it's been so long since I saw the first Matrix movie and have seen none of its sequels. I may rewatch The Matrix first because some of the shorts have some tie-ins to it.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Man, they're really desperate to avoid new content on the block. We already knew about their budget issues, but airing three new episodes of Yashahime in one night is a lot. Granted, I'm fine with that since I like the series, bu it does still show how they're stalling so hard until January. None of the movies for the 18th sound particularly interesting to me.

I'll be curious to see what shows they have planned for January. Yashahime season two is a pretty solid choice given that they're nearly done with season one, but I don't know what else they could get. Demon Slayer season two would really give the block a huge boost in attention. It's hard to say what else they could get, but hopefully they'll get something interesting. They don't often have multiple slots opening up all at once like this either.

Nobodyman

Hopefully this is just a rough patch and things will get back on track in January, but...yeah, this is rough.

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
Toonami still has at least one exclusive dub that doesn't stream, that being Demon Slayer. Still no news if Demon Slayer's dub will be a Toonami exclusive or if we get a Yashahime situation where the dub debuts on streaming first. With Toonami's situation, I can see them losing exclusivity or being in the situation they are in right now just to save up money for exclusivity. They might have passed on getting Assassination Classroom season 2 and Megalobox Nomad just to make sure that the Demon Slayer dub doesn't end up on streaming until a year after it airs on Toonami. If the dub debuts on streaming, that would be the final nail in the coffin of Toonami's relevance. They may still exist a few years, but they would be irrelevant.

About the only way to save their relevance period is if they hit big on one of their originals. Hasn't happened yet but it's not impossible. Demon Slayer would help keep the lights on, but I don't think it's gonna win them new devoted viewers. Hopefully Attack on Titan comes soon as that would also help. Another season of DB Super would be a big help if that ever happens.

Also I'm pretty sure Funimation is streaming the Demon Slayer dub - I think the best hope is an Attack on Titan situation (stream dub drops day after it airs on Toonami).

God, what a shitshow. The only positive here is that I've never seen The Animatrix before, but it's also been out for 18 years...

It's also ill advised on Netflix's part, as having that will undoubtedly draw views from curious viewers of their live action Bebop, who either haven't seen the original or haven't seen it in a long time. And it will only serve to highlight just how badly their live action show destroyed a classic. It will invite some very unwanted comparisons (on Netflix's part).

As for Yashahime, I'm glad they're not making viewers wait through December to finish season 1. But they really need to go right into season 2. Let me say, the end of S1 is highly confusing to put it mildly, even if you are a longtime InuYasha fan. And it also ends on a brutal cliffhanger. Early S2 however is great stuff so far, clears up a lot of the weirdness of the S1 ending and the plot at least seems to be moving full steam finally.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Three Blade Runner marathons in three weeks. This is the most ridiculous pushing of a show out there. It must have seriously damaged the Toonami piggy bank if they are making it Toonami's Teen Titans Go in terms of how overplayed it is. I know Demarco said negotiations fell through getting shows, but that was probably because they couldn't offer a price that pleased the other party. If the 11th is another Blade Runner marathon, I'll puke. Even Dragonball Super marathons would be preferable at this point.
Black Lotus is basically an American series animated in Japan. Its entire production was paid for by Adult Swim and Crunchyroll. Unlike Fena and the FLCL sequels, there's no Japanese release. They're not splitting the bill with anyone overseas.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Black Lotus is basically an American series animated in Japan. Its entire production was paid for by Adult Swim and Crunchyroll. Unlike Fena and the FLCL sequels, there's no Japanese release. They're not splitting the bill with anyone overseas.

There is a Japanese dub that's currently streaming on Crunchyroll. Dunno about the show airing on Japanese tv though.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
I'm curious what they're doing for Christmas and New Year's. Perhaps some DC movies or something.

I assume Black Lotus will continue uninterrupted.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I don't get HBO Max but I knew that Crunchyroll had a branded section on the service. With Funimation/Sony acquiring the site, the section is going to be re-named on January 1st:

I bring this up since I remember some people thinking they might re-brand it to Toonami.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I don't get HBO Max but I knew that Crunchyroll had a branded section on the service. With Funimation/Sony acquiring the site, the section is going to be re-named on January 1st:

I guess Toonami is losing it's power as a brand name. This current era of poorly received shows is almost as bad as the TOM 4 era. It almost seems like Gen:Lock season 2 is destined to happen to continue the streak of crappy cartoons. Okay, in Promised Neverland season 2's case, they probably signed the contract for it long before they knew what they were getting into. Hopefully, that doesn't happen and Toonami actually gets good shows in January and stops becoming the laughingstock of cartoon platforms. 2021 has really been their worst year ever and even the rerun filled 2020 looks much better in comparison. Let's see if 2022 is when the block recovers or continues the trend of bringing you a worse cartoon show.

RunoMisaki573

I guess Toonami is losing it's power as a brand name. This current era of poorly received shows is almost as bad as the TOM 4 era. It almost seems like Gen:Lock season 2 is destined to happen to continue the streak of crappy cartoons. Okay, in Promised Neverland season 2's case, they probably signed the contract for it long before they knew what they were getting into. Hopefully, that doesn't happen and Toonami actually gets good shows in January and stops becoming the laughingstock of cartoon platforms. 2021 has really been their worst year ever and even the rerun filled 2020 looks much better in comparison. Let's see if 2022 is when the block recovers or continues the trend of bringing you a worse cartoon show.

Same here. I wouldn't be surprised if Toonami airs its final broadcast in two years and ends its adult swim run.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I don't think that the current era is that bad, but losing a lot of shows to Netflix and then having to stall until January is still putting them in a tight spot. I don't know why they would pick up Gen:Lock season two. A part of me wouldn't be shocked, but when the first season didn't seem that popular or well received, I don't know why they'd go with the second season.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts