"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Golden Geek

Radio Demon
Staff member
Reporter
I'd be alright if we got a sequel like AssClass season 2 or even the Mugen Train arc of Demon Slayer season 2, but I really wish we could get some new blood in here.

Ranking of Kings would be a fun one.

RunoMisaki573

I nearly forgot to mention Speed Grapher and Highschool of the Dead. The latter would have to be censored more heavily than the former if it were to be aired on Toonami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It's been awhile since I watched them but I'd throw Baccano!, Ga-Rei, and D.Gray-Man in the ring. Desert Punk might be too raunchy, idk, also been awhile since I saw it. Forget if I ever finished Eden of East.

Did that Patlabor reboot series ever get released or is it still being worked on?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I think Toonami only seems to dig at older titles if they are desperate, which they were in 2020 and that's how we got Assassination Classroom. Considering the shortage of recent shonen not locked up by streaming, I'm wondering if they'll go for an older title or something outside the shonen box? With Yashahime ending and leaving yet another vacant slot, it looks like we'll probably get a new look Toonami in 2022, with a possible Yasahahime season 2 and who knows what the other slots will be. I know that SSSS.Gridman came to Toonami in January yet was announced in December, so maybe we'll have hype announcements in the next coming weeks?

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
So, Jason DeMarco had shared an article on Twitter asking what other properties you would like to see turned into an anime series outside of Blade Runner and there was discussion in his feed about Robocop. Then Jason came with this comment:

Woooow, so season 2 may or may not come to the block after all.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So, Jason DeMarco had shared an article on Twitter asking what other properties you would like to see turned into an anime series outside of Blade Runner and there was discussion in his feed about Robocop. Then Jason came with this comment:
giphy.gif

Damn that sucks but the writing was on the wall.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Losing Demon Slayer season two would be a huge blow to the block. I would have assumed that Netflix would be the one to jump on the dub instead. Hopefully there is still a chance, but I wouldn't be shocked if getting the next season proves to be too difficult due to the franchise being such a huge hit.

RunoMisaki573

Speaking of RoboCop, I don't mind if Alpha Commando gets rerun again. Alpha Commando got rerun on the obscure syndicated KidsClick block before, but I have a feeling it will get a lot more exposure if Alpha Commando did get Toonami reruns and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I was thinking that the worst case scenario for was a Yashahime type situation where the dub premieres on streaming but ends up airing at a later date. Aniplex seemed to be Toonami's biggest ally, giving them their last acquisition that was an exclusive dub, Promised Neverland season 2, whose dub is just now on streaming. Sony now owning Crunchyroll, Aniplex, and Funimation I guess might have made things even harder as it seems like the latter two companies could have turned on Toonami. Losing access to Aniplex and Funimation shows would be a massive wound for the block to deal with. Is Sentai the only ally Toonami has left? It is possible that just Demon Slayer is off limits because it's the biggest most expensive thing out there, but that doesn't explain Assassination Classroom's mysterious disappearance after being promised it would return. That could be a Boruto situation where Toonami lied about it coming back and it might have actually flopped, but another possibility is that Funimation has ended their alliance with Toonami. January will show where Toonami still stands with Funimation and Aniplex. If Toonami does get shows from those companies, that would probably indicate that things are okay. If Toonami airs Sentai stuff like Haikyuu out of desperation(their catalog is really light on Toonami style battle shonen and that's probably why Sentai shows on Toonami are so rare), that's a sign that Aniplex and Funimation have probably turned on Toonami.

SpaceCowboy

I would suggest Toonami dig into old IPs they already own and try rebooting them as anime for the block. Like what Adult Swim used to do with obscure Hanna-Barbara properties when they first started.

Last edited:

Zorak Masaki

Maybe they could try getting the rights to Monster. It did well when it aired on Syfy, and it's got enough episodes.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Maybe they could try getting the rights to Monster. It did well when it aired on Syfy, and it's got enough episodes.
Does anyone even have the license to Monster these days? There hasn't been any home releases since that one 15 episode set Viz put out like 12 years ago, and I don't think it's been available on any streaming platforms.

It's probably also too old anyways. It's a standard definition digipaint anime from the mid 2000s, so there's no hope of a proper HD remaster. Obviously in general Toonami can't be picky at this point, but the door seems to be closed on anything that isn't in HD.

Though on the subject of Monster, if the anime adaptation of the manga author's other series Pluto ever gets out of development hell (been about 4 1/2 years since it was announced), that'd be a solid choice.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I would suggest Toonami dig into old IPs they already own and try rebooting them as anime for the block. Like what Adult Swim used to do with obscure Hanna-Barbara properties when they first started.

They can't really fill the schedule with originals when they are super expensive and take forever to make. Just how many Uzamaki delays there are pretty much confirms it wouldn't work.

The fact that they burned out Yashahime episodes at least indicates something is going to air. Some people are interpreting Demarco's words as indicating that Funimation and Aniplex have both turned on Toonami, but let's wait until January to see what they will air. Viz is still an ally and Yashahime season 2 and Attack on Titan (because of that contract from years ago) are guaranteed to be part of the 2022 acquisitions. As to what else can be acquired, we'll see.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So Viz is it's on entity and has nothing to do with Sony/Crunchyroll/Funimation/Aniplex?

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I'm still holding out hope that Demon Slayer season 2 will come. I remember Jason saying how tougher it was to get season 4 of Food Wars because of HIDIVE and Crunchyroll but they were able to pull it off in the end. Granted, Food Wars is no Demon Slayer and I have noticed that the Mugen Train arc on Crunchyroll is still only available to premium users and not free users yet. Makes me wonder if the next arc will have the same restriction(we'll see on Sunday). Now that they have Funimation and Crunchyroll, I could see Sony giving the middle finger to Toonami. I hope not but we're in a new era when it comes streaming.

I guess Viz and Sentai are the only major distributors left when it comes to anime in North America right? Man, the Suncoast collapse in the mid-to-late 00's is still reverberating to this day...

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
So Viz is it's on entity and has nothing to do with Sony/Crunchyroll/Funimation/Aniplex?

Yes, Viz is independent from Sony so Yashahime season 2 is probably a given for the 2022 slate. The problem is that is the only recent title they have. Sentai has a bigger library, but pretty niche. The closest they have to a battle shonen is Haikyu, which about freaking volleyball. Discotek is also an anime licensor, but they license retro anime and Toonami has that rule of not airing anything older than Bebop. Maybe if all Funimation and Aniplex titles become off limits they will break this rule out of desperation. Looking at Sentai's catalog, they'd have to air stuff outside their comfort zone if that's what they are limited to. There's still no 100% confirmation Funimation and Aniplex are completely off limits as Demarco just said that Sony is blocking them from "who knows what else" instead of "everything," but January's the deciding factor. I can see these possible schedule scenarios happening in January. I'm thinking scenario 1 is probably most likely to happen, to be honest.

Scenario #1 slot cuts
12:00 Blade Runner Black Lotus
12:30 Yashahime season 2
1:00 Naruto
1:30 Dragonball Super

Scenario #2 Sentai shows
12:30 Yashahime season 2
1:00 Sentai show
1:30 Sentai show
2:00 Dragonball Super (moves to Dr. Stone's position and 2:30 still gets cut)

Scenario #3 Funimation titles still on the table
12:30 Yashahime
1:00 Funimation show (possibly Assassination Classroom season 2)
1:30 Funimation show (possibly Megalobox Nomad)
2:00 Dragonball Super

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Toei has to release Dragon Quest Dai's dub somewhere. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts