"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

Light Lucario

Staff member
The Big O season 2 was patient zero for controversial Adult Swim/Toonami originals. Fans might actually want to get a season 3 to explain the confusing and bizarre ending of season 2. Considering the decline of mecha in the American fandom, this is probably why this won't happen. I know that a very small number of people thought of the idea of a Cowboy Bebop sequel, but that's too much of a sacred cow to touch. I'm guessing when it comes to co-productions, I noticed that none of the American companies doing them has ever co-produced a Shonen Jump title even though that would seem like the safest and least risky coproduction possible. I'm wondering why? Both Netfix and Toonami have co-produced maligned CGI content despite American fans stating displeasure towards CGI anime and it looks like FLCL: Grunge is continuing on with that despite fan backlash. It's just weird how these original anime co-produced by American companies seem to do as audience alienating stuff as possible instead of just play it safe and just create a safe DBZ esque anime. A lot of these Western co-produced originals have failed, be it Crunchyroll, Toonami, or Netflix, but they continue to chug along anyway. Sometimes, gold is struck and something like Devilman Crybaby is made, but I'm wondering when Toonami will make its equivalent of Devilman Crybaby or Tonikawa. If Netflix and Crunchyroll can occasionally get a lucky dice roll and co-produce a hit original, surely Toonami can eventually do so too.
I've always heard of how confusing the ending to Big O was and it still seems to be a series held in good regards in spite of that, so I think that there would have been some genuine excitement for a continuation. I've never seen Cowboy Bebop, but I know the ending and I'm not sure how you'd make a sequel for that. It would have definitely attracted attention, but I don't think it would have been a smart thing to do so soon after the Neftlix series was cancelled. A sequel wouldn't necessarily have the same issues people had with the Netflix series, but I think that the timing would have been too much of an issue, let alone the struggles of creating a sequel to a deeply beloved anime series in the first place.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Off topic, but man I wish Cartoon Network would've done the same with CCF/Fridays if that was still around and they done something celebratory as Toonami was.

(I'm still pissed off it got cancelled)

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
How can you possibly make the already massively unwanted 3rd and 4th follow-ups to FLCL even MORE unwanted? Make it CGI, of course.

Hey studios and networks and streamers, since the massive amounts of money you lose on this stuff evidently still isn't enough to drill it into your thick heads, let me give you some advice:

NOBODY

CGI ANIME

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Hey studios and networks and streamers, since the massive amounts of money you lose on this stuff evidently still isn't enough to drill it into your thick heads, let me give you some advice:

NOBODY

CGI ANIME
I don't really agree on that nobody likes CGI anime. I mean, while they are largely hit or miss, there have been CGI anime shows that were popular with critics and audiences, such as Pacific Rim: The Black, which I enjoyed when it arrived on Netflix last year.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
On the topic of CGI, it seems like it was extremely rare to see in anime before the mid 2010s trend of Western co-productions. I don't know why as it seems like the American fanbase is really anti-CGI and I don't know how the Japanese responded to these series. Some CGI shows, like Beastars seem to be the rare hits using CGI, but most seem to be heavily disliked.

Really, I'm realizing that I shouldn't be too surprised at the quality of these Toonami originals considering that the Crunchyroll Originals and true Netflix Originals (discounting all the shows with that label they merely licensed, so JoJo and Kakegurui don't count) tend to be negatively received. At least Toonami originals have been mostly mediocre so far instead of horrible like with a lot of Crunchyroll's stuff, and leaving the Crunchyroll partnership behind might be for the best. On the other hand, they haven't produced any true acclaimed originals unlike Netflix and Devilman Crybaby. Toonami doesn't have as many opportunities to create originals at the volume of Netflix and Crunchyroll (assuming they aren't discontinuing their originals. Just heard In/Spectre will have a season 2 so maybe the line is still alive). All three have very low batting averages when it comes to these originals, but Toonami seems to be the only one that hasn't hasn't created an acclaimed original yet.

SpaceCowboy

I don't really agree on that nobody likes CGI anime. I mean, while they are largely hit or miss, there have been CGI anime shows that were popular with critics and audiences, such as Pacific Rim: The Black, which I enjoyed when it arrived on Netflix last year.
There's also Lupin III: The First, which convinced me CGI anime could work with the right team.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Any guesses as to what replaces Made in Abyss next month? Or do we know already?

I thought it was an obvious toss up between Food Wars season 5 and Yashahime season 2. Those are the obvious shows with sequel seasons yet to air on Toonami.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I thought it was an obvious toss up between Food Wars season 5 and Yashahime season 2. Those are the obvious shows with sequel seasons yet to air on Toonami.
Yeah, I suppose so and the odds are really low for it to be a new acquisition.

RunoMisaki573

Any guesses as to what replaces Made in Abyss next month? Or do we know already?

I guess two more programs (hoping the duplicate One Piece slot gets replaced at the time). If we're lucky enough we can get Jujutsu Kaisen if Toonami took advantage of the "FUNiRoll" deal. Also, there is the long overdue Mob Psycho 100 Season 2. Toonami's budget emptied out when Sony's acquisition of crunchyroll started, and since the budget got reset three months ago, acquiring Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 would be a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, I suppose so and the odds are really low for it to be a new acquisition.

The Crunchyroll/Funimation merger might have closed the gate for non Viz or Sentai titles. It would be cool if the next show was Jujutsu Kaisen to prove that the merger actually opened doors instead of closing them. Demarco has yet to speak on how the merger affects Toonami. We know that Crunchyroll's prices pre merger were almost impossible to afford and Mob Psycho 100 took years to negotiate a good price. It's hard to tell if merged Crunchyroll will charge Funimation prices or pre merge Crunchyroll prices. It seems like best case scenario Jujutsu Kaisen and other Crunchyroll titles become within Toonami's grasp. Worst case scenario those titles are still out of grasp and former Funimation content like My Hero Academia becomes out of grasp. Surprised Demarco hasn't spelled out if it's the former or the latter. The fact that Demarco bypassed Funimation and went to Toei to get One Piece makes me think it might be possible the latter scenario might be true. It would be a huge blow, but maybe not the end of the world as Food Wars, Yashahime, Lupin part 6, and the return of Boruto, can keep Toonami afloat if all Crunchyroll titles including former Funimation titles are off limits. Still wish Demarco can explain if the Crunchyroll/Funimation merger has made things better or worse for Toonami.

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
The One Piece dub it's still continuing and now they're in the Whole Cake Island Arc and the episodes are available right now on the Microsoft Store

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
It's interesting that the One Piece dub is the biggest Funimation thing that hasn't migrated over to Crunchyroll yet. It would make zero sense if the new dubbed episodes went exclusively to Funimation as everyone already cancelled their Funimation subscriptions and migrated to Crunchyroll.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Dang! Whole Cake Island already? Didn't they just have the last batch of episodes a few weeks ago?
They're just steamrolling ahead, aren't they?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts