"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Adult Swim just yanked the Fena/Black Lotus/Shenmue trinity (as well as Tigtone and Lazor Wulf, which were previously purged from HBO Max) from their streaming app/website. Some people are theorizing that Black Lotus will get purged from HBO Max like Tigtone and Lazor Wulf. Is it possible that the dubs for the Fena/Black Lotus/Shenmue trinity's dubs never get on streaming?

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
They'll likely become Crunchyroll exclusives.
WBD may be writing them off, but Sony likely isn't.

tykroma94

Great to hear about the HBO Max option so cord cutters can still watch Toonami shows. Well, with the exception of the Shippuden dub, which still doesn't have a streaming home.
Technically the Shippuden dub does having a streaming home, Hulu. During the summer, Hulu added 200+ additional dubbed episodes of Shippuden on there. Also I’m happy Housing Complex C will stream on HBO Max. Would’ve watched it on Toonami but my cable just got cut off. Hope more Toonami originals stream on HBO Max in the future.
I'd think that Toonami would use HBO Max to co-host exclusive third party dubs, but the few exclusive dubs aired in the HBO Max era haven't been that way as it appears that HBO Max doesn't automatically get Toonami's acquisitions (probably because Toonami just buys a temporary lease rather than a long term license). We just found out Bleach will be about 50 episodes long with split cours, so if Toonami gets dub exclusivity, it might be a half decade until the dub is allowed to stream. At least Yashahime showed a sign that Viz is willing to let dubs stream and might not be letting Toonami get exclusivity any more. Of course, Toonami exclusivity might not be the worst case scenario for dub fans as Viz could do a Boruto and make the dub Blu Ray exclusive even though nobody buys Blu Ray sets any more.
If Toonami got exclusively for Bleach Thousand Year Blood War’s dub, it’ll definitely be a long time before we find it on streaming, but then again I highly doubt it would be a Toonami exclusive. Just look at what happened with Yashahime. I thought the dub would be Toonami exclusive but instead the dub ended up on streaming first. Wouldn’t be surprised if the same thing happens for Bleach TYBW dub. Boruto dub being Blu-Ray exclusive sucks but at least Viz is adding more dub episodes to Hulu.

Conttactt

Adult Swim just yanked the Fena/Black Lotus/Shenmue trinity (as well as Tigtone and Lazor Wulf, which were previously purged from HBO Max) from their streaming app/website. Some people are theorizing that Black Lotus will get purged from HBO Max like Tigtone and Lazor Wulf. Is it possible that the dubs for the Fena/Black Lotus/Shenmue trinity's dubs never get on streaming?

As joint projects with CR, they likely won’t become entirely lost media as something like Final Space appears to be becoming. CR has no reason to write them off, especially if they don’t have to deal with AS having them anymore.

Remember when Demarco told us all 3 of these shows were successful and his higher ups were extremely happy with their performance? The lies flow so naturally for him. And all that bluster about Fena getting another season if that darn creator just wanted to make more. Lies on lies

Technically the Shippuden dub does having a streaming home, Hulu. During the summer, Hulu added 200+ additional dubbed episodes of Shippuden on there. Also I’m happy Housing Complex C will stream on HBO Max. Would’ve watched it on Toonami but my cable just got cut off. Hope more Toonami originals stream on HBO Max in the future.

If Toonami got exclusively for Bleach Thousand Year Blood War’s dub, it’ll definitely be a long time before we find it on streaming, but then again I highly doubt it would be a Toonami exclusive. Just look at what happened with Yashahime. I thought the dub would be Toonami exclusive but instead the dub ended up on streaming first. Wouldn’t be surprised if the same thing happens for Bleach TYBW dub. Boruto dub being Blu-Ray exclusive sucks but at least Viz is adding more dub episodes to Hulu.
Toonami is never going to see an exclusive dub again for the rest of its existence. The block is struggling to get any shows at all. The block is a dying relic and anime fans have been pretty loud about their disdain for any series that ends up on Toonami exclusively.

cartoonnetworkpoke

As joint projects with CR, they likely won’t become entirely lost media as something like Final Space appears to be becoming. CR has no reason to write them off, especially if they don’t have to deal with AS having them anymore.

Remember when Demarco told us all 3 of these shows were successful and his higher ups were extremely happy with their performance? The lies flow so naturally for him. And all that bluster about Fena getting another season if that darn creator just wanted to make more. Lies on lies

Toonami is never going to see an exclusive dub again for the rest of its existence. The block is struggling to get any shows at all. The block is a dying relic and anime fans have been pretty loud about their disdain for any series that ends up on Toonami exclusively.
overreaction much

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter

Maybe Crunchyroll will bring the dubs to their service if Adult Swim ditches them. It is possible that they continue to only stream the subtitled versions and the dubs go to limbo.

Technically the Shippuden dub does having a streaming home, Hulu. During the summer, Hulu added 200+ additional dubbed episodes of Shippuden on there.

Just noticed that. Feels like the dub ended on the Pain arc for quite a few years on Hulu before recently. Also, interesting thing I noticed that Adult Swim does still have the streaming rights to episodes that are on Hulu as Adult Swim has episodes as far back as 350 (Hulu now has up to 363). This seems to imply that contrary to popular belief, Toonami does not have an exclusivity contract keeping the episodes they have rights to off of Hulu, but Viz just being slow at releasing the dub on streaming to squeeze Blu Ray money out of people even though hardly anybody is willing to buy Blu Rays just to watch a dub.

Conttactt

overreaction much
Not at all. These original projects have been some of the cause for the block not getting acquired content. They are costly and Demarco has his head so far up his ass he thinks the simple fact they are originals would make them all successful. I can’t count how many times Demarco told a concerned fan to not worry about the lack of acquisitions because they had originals. And here we are seeing three of them getting sent to the shadow realm, after explicitly being told they weren’t failures.

Otakuninja2006

DeMarco has confirmed that, yes, Black Lotus, Fena, and Shenmue have all been written off. They won't reair on Toonami again.

Also, Shenmue nearly got renewed for a second season. But thanks to this news, it's now cancelled.
OH HELL TO THE NAW!!!!!!!

I WAS MORE THAN WILLING(AND EVEN THEN BARELY) TO LET THE OTHER STUFF SLIDE, BUT THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE LAST DAMN STRAW!!!!

THIS FOOL NEEDS TO BE OUSTED NOW!!

SURE, THIS IS ALL SCREWED UP, BUT WHEN THIS INVOLVES THE ONLY THING HOLDING ADULT SWIM'S RELEVANCE, IT'S A WHOLE DIFFERENT THING!

IM DONE WITH THIS COMPANY, AND IM DONE WITH WESTERN ANIMATION AND ENTERTAINMENT AS A WHOLE!

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
It seems odd that these would be written off despite Demarco's claims of them being successes. The Adult Swim execs probably were okay with their performance, but not Zaslav and his war on cartoons that aren't Rick and Morty caliber cash cows. Wondering about the fate of Adult Swim in general because Primal, Birdgirl, and Tuca and Bertie are in limbo without any news of cancellation or renewal.

cartoonnetworkpoke

So what's gonna happen to Toonmai and Adult Swim? At least for CN there is still a market for kids cartoons. However, with Crunchyroll and funimation merging it's making it hard to get certain shows on the block. Plus Disney buying some of Fox' s assets makes it really hard for adult swim to air certain shows.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
So what's gonna happen to Toonmai and Adult Swim? At least for CN there is still a market for kids cartoons. However, with Crunchyroll and funimation merging it's making it hard to get certain shows on the block. Plus Disney buying some of Fox' s assets makes it really hard for adult swim to air certain shows.

I think Toonami's going to survive on Viz and Aniplex shows, but I'm wondering about the viability of originals as this purge happened. At least the FLCL sequels are still on the Adult Swim website and haven't been purged yet.

Adult Swim can survive as the Futurama/King of the Hill/Bob's Burgers rerun network, but at least Rick and Morty and Smiling Friends are still alive.

harry580

OH HELL TO THE NAW!!!!!!!

I WAS MORE THAN WILLING(AND EVEN THEN BARELY) TO LET THE OTHER STUFF SLIDE, BUT THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE LAST DAMN STRAW!!!!

THIS FOOL NEEDS TO BE OUSTED NOW!!

SURE, THIS IS ALL SCREWED UP, BUT WHEN THIS INVOLVES THE ONLY THING HOLDING ADULT SWIM'S RELEVANCE, IT'S A WHOLE DIFFERENT THING!

IM DONE WITH THIS COMPANY, AND IM DONE WITH WESTERN ANIMATION AND ENTERTAINMENT AS A WHOLE!
lol k

Conttactt

It seems odd that these would be written off despite Demarco's claims of them being successes. The Adult Swim execs probably were okay with their performance, but not Zaslav and his war on cartoons that aren't Rick and Morty caliber cash cows. Wondering about the fate of Adult Swim in general because Primal, Birdgirl, and Tuca and Bertie are in limbo without any news of cancellation or renewal.
The answer is simple, Demarco lied. These are his projects, there is no way he was going to admit they were failures. I always found it strange that the originals were considered successful despite them costing much more than a typical AS project and performing a lot less.

I’m gonna take a guess that T&B is doomed because of the VA controversy. The other two could go either way, but I’d place my bet on cancelled for both

I think Toonami's going to survive on Viz and Aniplex shows, but I'm wondering about the viability of originals as this purge happened. At least the FLCL sequels are still on the Adult Swim website and haven't been purged yet.

Adult Swim can survive as the Futurama/King of the Hill/Bob's Burgers rerun network, but at least Rick and Morty and Smiling Friends are still alive.
Aniplex is one of the distributors under CR, we won’t get anything more from them. I wish I could be optimistic about them surviving on acquired content, but the fact they haven’t actually gotten any in months is concerning. What before looked like a purposeful setup for MiA S2 is now looking like a forced hand because of BL getting the boot.

cartoonnetworkpoke

My Question is what happens if disney pulls the plug on king of the hill and bob burgers?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Bummer but wasn't beholden to those shows. And not a total surprise not even Adult Swim/Toonami was safe from WBD's tax write off purging campaign. Like the rest of WB's divisions, Adult Swim/Toonami marches on with their current projects in a cloud of angst and uncertainty until told otherwise. Shrug.

Last edited:

Conttactt

My Question is what happens if disney pulls the plug on king of the hill and bob burgers?
Bobs will leave AS in 2023. That was decided quite a few years ago when Family Guy had it’s leaving date set. Personally, I don’t think that’s a huge deal, the amount of times they can run Bobs is pretty low anyway, so when it goes it won’t be that noticeable. Bobs is what they typically use for the transition between CN to AS, so maybe in 2023 we just see AS permanently lose the 8 hour, rather than only just for the fall months.

I wouldn’t worry too much about KotH or Futurama. Those deals were done well after Disney took over, so it’s safe to assume Disney is cool with those two being on other networks.

Light Lucario

Staff member
It is kind of a shame that those series were written off. They weren't anything to write home about, especially Fena, and Shenmue was probably the best one out of the bunch despite being mostly decent, but they still put in a lot of time and money to make those shows. At least they shouldn't be difficult to find like with a lot of other animated series affected by the HBO Max situation, but it is still rough for the people who worked hard on these shows and for Toonami to effectively lose three original series. I would have been up for a Shenmue season two, so it's kind of sad that it probably won't happen.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts