Trope Talk: PG-13 as a forbidden fruit in kids cartoons

TheMisterManGuy

It's a trope that pops up a couple times in kids shows, especially when the protagonist is under 13. A kid sees a cool movie, but it barred from entering because of its PG-13 rating. Even if the character is close enough to the suggested age range. In children's cartoons, PG-13 is sometimes portrayed as this elusive, forbidden fruit that young children are barred from consuming by society. A diet R-rating if you will.

However, in the real world, that's actually not how PG-13 works. The PG-13 rating, according to the MPAA's description, is just an extension of the PG rating, stating

"PG-13 — Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some Material May Be Inappropriate For Children Under 13. A PG-13 rating is a sterner warning by the Rating Board to parents to determine whether their children under age 13 should view the motion picture, as some material might not be suited for them. A PG-13 motion picture may go beyond the PG rating in theme, violence, nudity, sensuality, language, adult activities or other elements, but does not reach the restricted R category. The theme of the motion picture by itself will not result in a rating greater than PG-13, although depictions of activities related to a mature theme may result in a restricted rating for the motion picture. Any drug use will initially require at least a PG-13 rating. More than brief nudity will require at least a PG-13 rating, but such nudity in a PG-13 rated motion picture generally will not be sexually oriented. There may be depictions of violence in a PG-13 movie, but generally not both realistic and extreme or persistent violence. A motion picture’s single use of one of the harsher sexually-derived words, though only as an expletive, initially requires at least a PG-13 rating. More than one such expletive requires an R rating, as must even one of those words used in a sexual context. The Rating Board nevertheless may rate such a motion picture PG-13 if, based on a special vote by a two-thirds majority, the Raters feel that most American parents would believe that a PG-13 rating is appropriate because of the context or manner in which the words are used or because the use of those words in the motion picture is inconspicuous."

Unlike an R rating, which specifically requires parental accompaniment for kids under 17 when entering, anybody of any age can purchase a ticket and get into a PG-13 rated movie. If a theater does decide to bar underage kids from entering, it's usually rare and more the theater itself being a prude (What legit ID would a 13 year old have anyway?). What PG-13 actually is, is a much stronger warning to parents, telling them it might not be a good idea to send their 7 year old in unsupervised. If a kid in real life is unable to go to a PG-13 movie alone, that's usually the decision of their parents.

So why is PG-13 sometimes treated like this elusive R-rated-esque forbidden fruit in kids shows? My guess is that writers and the censors don't want any of the impressionable 6-year olds watching getting any ideas about watching films that their parents don't want them watching yet. Because 6-11 year olds are the target audience for most children's cartoons, PG-13 is used instead of R, because to a 6-year old, PG-13 sounds edgier than it really is. Never mind the fact that PG-13 movies get advertised on all the major kids networks, all the time. So in the end, that entire message is undermined.

Last edited:

Pooky

I do remember Pepper Ann, who I believe was supposed to be 12, being stopped from watching a PG-13 film by her mother. I remember being confused as I thought this wasn't really how parents treated the rating, but not being American I wasn't sure.

I know Arthur is also stopped from seeing the "James Hound" movie because it's PG-13, a bit more logical as he's meant to be 8 (even though he always seems a bit older).

SweetShop209

I think it could be more a reflection of real life and how PG-13 movies are more common than R rated movie. As such, most media would portray getting into a PG-13 as something like getting into an R rated movie in real life, and treating it as forbidden even if anyone can attend PG-13 movies.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
I can think of a couple of reasons for why a PG-13 rating can be considered forbidden fruit in kids cartoons.

The first reason is that a film can be rated PG-13 for different reasons, with it having effects with viewers. For instance, it's one thing for a film to be rated PG-13 for sexual humor, which could easily fly over the heads of younger kids until they grow up, while another film is rated PG-13 due to scary content (especially if said film is horror-based). If the PG-13 rating is for the latter, then I can understand the reason some parents would be concerned (after all, when I first saw the trailer for Batman Returns when I was 11, the way the film depicted the Penguin had a feel that this film could leaning towards hard PG-13).

The other reason is that this that the PG-13 mindset that adults in cartoons have is more in tune to the type of mindset people had of the rating during its first decade or so. These days, most PG-13 films feel like the equivalent to the PG films of the 1980's and 1990's, with it feeling as if parents are being more overcautious these days.

TheMisterManGuy

I know Arthur is also stopped from seeing the "James Hound" movie because it's PG-13, a bit more logical as he's meant to be 8 (even though he always seems a bit older).
Yeah, that's what annoys me sometimes. Letting an 8-year old see a PG-13 movie unsupervised is obviously going to raise some eyebrows to people, so it was a bit more believable when Arthur did this trope. It's a bit more nonsensical when this trope is being done with characters who are 12. Is a 1 year difference really THAT controversial to some people?

Dr.Pepper

I’m guessing it’s because young kids are more likely to be aware of PG-13 films than R ones. PG-13 movies are regularly advertised on kids channels, there are fast food promotions for them, and lots of merchandise. Also typically R rated movies wouldn’t even interest kids regardless of content. There are exceptions however.

Sam the Cartoonist

I’m guessing it’s because young kids are more likely to be aware of PG-13 films than R ones. PG-13 movies are regularly advertised on kids channels, there are fast food promotions for them, and lots of merchandise. Also typically R rated movies wouldn’t even interest kids regardless of content. There are exceptions however.
During the 80s-90s, there were kids merchandise and cartoons based on R-rated films including the likes of Rambo, Robocop, Terminator, etc, something you wouldn't see these days except for maybe Deadpool.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Did the forums go into “dark mode” for anyone else?

From their Kickstarter, looks like the revival is all but official
Has it been historically known that Boomerang hasn't been available on Comcast Xfinity in some regions? I have the service, and I was able to get the channel, maybe it was just in different parts of the country.
Obscure action toons to stumble on:
-Egyxos
-AKEDO Ultimate Arcade Warriors
Talk about production issues.

Featured Posts