TV Channels that never left their embryonal stage

harry580

gxt was gonna be launched in the uk

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
gxt was gonna be launched in the uk
I presume this was when GXT was under Disney, not Switchover Media nor Discovery.

J10

There are many to mention here in this thread. Here are the channels that didn’t left the embryonal stage:
  • ART Comedy, which it was planned to be launched on time, but it didn’t launch at all and got removed later, and instead planned to launch ART Hekayat Kaman and ART Hekayat Zaman (Now, ART Hekayat 2).
    1613843610067.jpeg

• Sudan TV was suppose to launch in HD, as it was announced to be launched in 2019, when Sudanese Channels are migrating to Arabsat, but it didn’t until our present time, it got delayed to an unknown time, especially after the regime being withdrawn and Coup D’état Time in April 11th, 2019.
  • TA-SETI Drama was being planned to be launch on Arabsat in 2019, but it got delayed to unknown time.
  • MBC Masr has planned to launch an Egyptian version of MBC Drama called MBC Masr Drama in 2013, but then it got cancelled, and instead they launch MBC Masr +2 (Now called MBC Masr 2).
    1613844166115.jpeg
  • LBCI Lebanon was supposed to launch a Maghreb version of LBC SAT, called LBC Maghreb, but it got removed later for unknown reason.
    1613844361083.jpeg

• ART was planning to convert all of its channels to HD and launch HD versions, but unfortunately didn’t go well, and ART Hekayat was the only channel to broadcast in HD, but only in Ramadan.
  • There were plans for MBC to launch a North African targeted channel under the name (MBC Maghreb or MBC North Africa), but unfortunately they used MBC5 as a channel name.
  • There was a press reporter asking MBC leadership whether its possible to launch MBC Iraq, just after The Voice A7la Saut Finale in 2014. It didn’t come true until between both the end of January and February 17th, 2019.
  • SBA in Saudi Arabia were planning to relaunch Saudi 2 (KSA2) under the name SBC2, and also relaunching Ajial TV under new name after its closure, and it didn’t become real in our current time.
  • There were plans to relaunch SpaceToon English after its closure in 2011, as its mentioned in the promo of the closure, but it didn’t happen due to the Syrian Crisis, and then after that Space Power got shut down as a channel.
If there are others to mention, I’ll mention it as soon as possible.

Last edited:

themidnightlore

Wrote a whole wiki page about the failed launch of WBTV (The Warner Channel) in the UK (and subsequent plans for other international versions) in 1996: WBTV (The Warner Channel) Almost Launched In The UK
Warner TV way before Warner TV was a thing? Interesting.
I think Turner was cursed in UK to never have a general entertainment channel that could work. TNT failed, truTV failed (and ended to be sold to Sony).

harry580

I think Turner was cursed in UK to never have a general entertainment channel that could work. TNT failed, truTV failed (and ended to be sold to Sony).
what happen to tnt in the uk?, did it shut down and replaced by cnx later toonami and then Cartoon Network too and now cartoonito or tcm 2

and also there was plans for upn to be replaced by paramount network back in 2000, this is the logo for the supposed replacement of upn:
1614726370908.png

I mean if they did that back in 2000 will spike tv still be around or replaced by paramount movie network as a sister channel to paramount network

RegularCapital

Staff member
Yeah, although a WBTV already launched in Latin America. A Warner TV VOD service did come to the UK in 2007 on Virgin Media and BT Vision. You're right, Turner hasn't had much luck launching a general entertainment channel, although this was WB's doing.

what happen to tnt in the uk?, did it shut down and replaced by cnx later toonami and then Cartoon Network too and now cartoonito or tcm 2

and also there was plans for upn to be replaced by paramount network back in 2000, this is the logo for the supposed replacement of upn:
View attachment 286106

I mean if they did that back in 2000 will spike tv still be around or replaced by paramount movie network as a sister channel to paramount network
TNT Classic Movies Europe became a UK only general entertainment channel on Analogue Satellite in 1999, at the same time, the Classic Movies aspect of TNT was split off as a new channel called TCM which was on Digital. TNT UK was short-lived and closed in 2000, it was replaced by TCM during the final year of Analogue Satellite in 2000-2001. CNX came later in 2003.

themidnightlore

Yeah, although a WBTV already launched in Latin America. A Warner TV VOD service did come to the UK in 2007 on Virgin Media and BT Vision. You're right, Turner hasn't had much luck launching a general entertainment channel, although this was WB's doing.
Ah, true, WB and Turner back then were two separate entities.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
It's quite disappointing that unlike the other Big Five American studios, only Warner Bros. does not have a general entertainment network of their own in the UK.

RegularCapital

Staff member
It's quite disappointing that unlike the other Big Five American studios, only Warner Bros. does not have a general entertainment network of their own in the UK.
It would've been nice that WBTV existed, but anything the channel would've aired ended up on other channels, so in that regard it wasn't too much of a loss. It would be interesting if WBTV actually went ahead and how it would affect other channels in terms of programming and ratings.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!

View attachment 286106

Paramount also tried to launch a network in the 79’s, which went nowhere.

Earlier, they tried forming a network in the ‘50’s, That one actually had one or two stations, but it still didn’t last.

themidnightlore

I imagine that if any of those failed channel projects went throught, things would be different?
I'll take Animax as example, as Sony screwed it a bit everywhere. If it did launch in UK, Italy or USA, things would be different?

the greenman

Paramount also tried to launch a network in the 79’s, which went nowhere.

Earlier, they tried forming a network in the ‘50’s, That one actually had one or two stations, but it still didn’t last.
Yes, Jeff Katzenberg and Michael Eisner were some of the guys in charge. Star Trek: Phase II and War of the Worlds series were going to be first shows.
465b0c5e1da7651c430258541253e128.jpg
f14a898ed0038c3d9e195368800b2fd6.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Yes, Jeff Katzenberg and Michael Eisner were some of the guys in charge. Star Trek: Phase II and War of the Worlds series were going to be first shows.
465b0c5e1da7651c430258541253e128.jpg
f14a898ed0038c3d9e195368800b2fd6.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
And after PTVS was scrapped, the Phase II pilot was ultimately evolved into Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Last edited:

RegularCapital

Staff member
Wrote about the time when 4Kids Entertainment was about to launch a kids channel on Freeview in late 2005/early 2006, but then they abandoned plans to launch it. If it had launched, it would only broadcast for three hours in the morning (6am to 9am), using leased bandwidth from bid-up.tv or price-drop.tv. There was even an Ofcom licence for the channel.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Wrote about the time when 4Kids Entertainment was about to launch a kids channel on Freeview in late 2005/early 2006, but then they abandoned plans to launch it. If it had launched, it would only broadcast for three hours in the morning (6am to 9am), using leased bandwidth from bid-up.tv or price-drop.tv. There was even an Ofcom licence for the channel.

Had this happened, then this could've possibly meant Jetix would've lost the broadcast rights of TMNT 2003 as a result of this since they were airing the show at the time, I believe.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Had this happened, then this could've possibly meant Jetix would've lost the broadcast rights of TMNT 2003 as a result of this since they were airing the show at the time, I believe.
Yeah I think that would've happened, unless they gave Jetix second-run pay-TV rights. 4Kids TV was only going to run for three hours a day, so I think they still might give broadcasting rights to other channels.

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
In 2009-2010, a Hungarian TCM was planned.

I remember seeing film celebrities' talks made by TCM (with Hungarian text!) on Cartoon Network in late 2009 (aaah, the good old Arrow days!)
Then in August 2010, a Hungarian website was launched, which was not updated since November 2011, and closed down when CN became 24/7: https://web.archive.org/web/20100817164114/tcmeurope.com/hu
The plan therefore ended up being cancelled.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts