TV Channels that never left their embryonal stage

Francisque

So strange Local TV never took off in the UK, especially when in countries like Italy there are too many (unregulated) local channels.

I guess there was too much regulation on analogue transmission in the UK, with just 4/5 channels, in the past, while none or almost none in Italy.
I prefer the German approach, when a smaller but more "decent" amount of local channels (in a smaller number) exist, and also aided by local governments investments.
I'm not just talking about the "third stations" from ARD, which are a different thing, I'm talking about private stations based on cities or specific cultural regions.

Still incredible that too prominent cities like Liverpool and Manchester, for instance, get the same regional feeds under BBC NW and ITV Granada. At least a sub-feed, in these cases, is needed

But it's too late now, local TV is never going to become prominent in 2022. It should have launched much earlier.

EDIT: even my relatively small city, has a local station here in Italy!
Not that great, but not that bad either.. and I'm not even considering regional/sub-regional stations

Last edited:

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
I guess I can hijack my own thread.

Apparently, this logo for Sony Animax was part of a rebrand that never happened, a prototype.
For long I was torn on believing if it was legit or it was actually a really good fanmade. The question is: do you think there are other prototypes for other channels by Sony that just never saw the light (like, it does exist one for Sony Crime, as when in UK the rebrand happened, Sony Crime Channel just stayed the same? Understandable as its future was to be closed, but who knows if internally they did thought of that.)

The curious thing is that between Sony AXN and Sony Cine, there were a year and four months of waiting (Sony AXN Germany + Sony Channel Germany happened in October 2019, Sony Movies US + Sony Cine happened in Febraury 2021), so, maybe things did happen in the background, but never got to leave the prototype status?

5e4df26b45b75d73f512afb9_sony-icon-Animax-436.png

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
There are almost always alternate versions of logos, posters, titles, etc, which are never used. Very rarely they're shown to the public, like E.T. & Me or Revenge of the Jedi.

So, yeah, there are unused Sony logos. Some are probably just rough sketches; others are complete or nearly complete. It's just part of the process of bringing a good to the public in a way the public would like it.

Streaker Prower

There was going to be a Spin-Off Channel to YTV's Bionix Block called YTV POW! back in 2008. It's license were approved by the CRTC in 2008, along with YTV OneWorld (Which it's license was used to launch Nickelodeon Canada), But I don't know what happened to the license for YTV POW!.

Otakuninja2006

There was going to be a Spin-Off Channel to YTV's Bionix Block called YTV POW! back in 2008. It's license were approved by the CRTC in 2008, along with YTV OneWorld (Which it's license was used to launch Nickelodeon Canada), But I don't know what happened to the license for YTV POW!.
Oh yeah, they were considering launching a new channel called "The Anime Channel", but never got off the ground, probably because Bionix died..

On the other hand, back in 2004, Sony and Comcast was planning to launch American versions of Sony Entertainment Television, AXN and Animax.

It never happened, but you could say that some of the elements from SET was eventually used in GetTV, but that's a classic channel.

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
Oh yeah, they were considering launching a new channel called "The Anime Channel", but never got off the ground, probably because Bionix died..

On the other hand, back in 2004, Sony and Comcast was planning to launch American versions of Sony Entertainment Television, AXN and Animax.

It never happened, but you could say that some of the elements from SET was eventually used in GetTV, but that's a classic channel.
This is the second time I hear of "Sony wanted to launch AXN, Animax and SET in the USA", this time with a year.
I wonder why then they decided of not doing that.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Seth Rogen's dog is adorable
Looking forward to seeing the internet explode a SECOND time today at 5 pm EST (but seriously, I'm hyped for the new Mario Movie trailer!)
For example, Keiji Inafune's Mighty No. 9 had a disastrous launch and Yūji Naka's Balan Wonderworld became a one-time show for Balan and friends. Why the curse?
These days, some of the famous Japanese video game developers are disproportionally cursed.
I just watched "The Placebo Effect" from FX's Archer. [****] me, one of the best episodes ever. I haven't as much laughs watching an animated series for a while now. That Magnum PI parody is hilarious.

Featured Posts