Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

user313856

The Rescuers is a film I truly love, it has a really poignant emotional atmosphere that is truly beautiful for me. And I love the protagonist duo of Bernard and Miss Bianca, their characterization and chemistry are wonderful. Penny is great too, a big part of the film's huge emotional and dramatic punch for me.

I know that so many people think that The Rescuers is very boring and one of Disney's worst. I know I'll never see it regarded as a major classic. But I love it, and always will. It has immense heart. If I'm not mistaken, it's also the last film in which all of Disney's Nine Old Men worked on. And look at this awesome opening. The film sells me from its first second. I couldn't find it in better video quality in YouTube, sorry.

Here's the full song, without interruptions.

It would be awesome for me to see a TV animated show starring Bernard and Miss Bianca doing rescue missions and so on.

Gotta agree with @kirbygame ..... However, to take it a step further: I have always preferred Screwball Crazy Daffy Duck over the greedy loser he became anyday.

Screwball Crazy Daffy is, IMHO, the best Looney Tune character ever to exist. Nothing else comes close for me, sadly.
I'm glad the most recent reboot of this franchise understands that - the circa 2020 rendition, I mean.
Wabbit/New Looney Tunes circa 2018-19 had the right idea to make Daffy his proper screwball crazy self, yeah - but that, unfortunately, wasn't good enough for me to watch said series. Damn shame.

When it comes to screwball Daffy, Bob Clampett always comes first to my mind. Him and Daffy were a match made in heaven. Bob Clampett's cartoons were very energetic, fast-paced, and also deranged character animation (often by Rod Scribner). He was the most "looney" of all directors, only rivaled by Tex Avery (who had left Warner Bros. in the early 40s and made history at MGM). In Daffy, Clampett found the perfect character to unleash everything he wanted to do in cartoons! No one did Screwball Daffy better! His surprising exit from Warner Bros. in the mid-40s is vital in the change of Daffy. Chuck Jones seemingly never cared much for screwball Daffy, I think he also thought that the possibilities of screwball Daffy had been exhausted, and that the character needed a big change to stay relevant (also, Bugs Bunny had already become in the late 40s the biggest and most popular Looney Tunes character by far, overshadowing everyone else by a country mile). This video explains all of that very well. It's part of an amazing YouTube series about the history of Looney Tunes.

Jones often projected himself into the new Daffy, he often said that Daffy was the character he related to the most, and "we want to be Bugs Bunny, but we are Daffy".

Last edited:

the greenman

Atlantis deserved to be a major franchise than just a single film and a DTV sequel that was basically a compliation of episodes from a scrapped TV series sequel. Same with Treasure Planet.
I think most fandom saw too much similarities with Stargate at the time. I venture to say that was when geekies started getting smarter in the 90's.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
Kids Next Door is one of those shows that I wanted to like as a kid, but I just couldn't get into it due to how annoying it is for me.
Codename: Kids Next Door was an OK concept at the beginning; a cross between Our Gang and James Bond, with prepubescent kids treating everyday situations as though they were covert operations. However, the show started to go downhill when it started taking it's silly premise seriously, with sagas and heavy drama and the like. And the fan shipping. Oh...the fan shipping. There were occasions in the KND fan forums when fights would happen about who should be dating who. On TV.com's KND forum, the shipper debates got so heated at one point that the KND forum had to be temporarily shut down.

kirbygame

Kids Next Door is one of those shows that I wanted to like as a kid, but I just couldn't get into it due to how annoying it is for me.
Codename: Kids Next Door was an OK concept at the beginning; a cross between Our Gang and James Bond, with prepubescent kids treating everyday situations as though they were covert operations. However, the show started to go downhill when it started taking it's silly premise seriously, with sagas and heavy drama and the like. And the fan shipping. Oh...the fan shipping. There were occasions in the KND fan forums when fights would happen about who should be dating who. On TV.com's KND forum, the shipper debates got so heated at one point that the KND forum had to be temporarily shut down.
now i know why i always prefer Craig of the Creek over Kids Next Door.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Oh my god, yes. That's one thing I was hated about KND (and the problem I have with most cartoons in the 2010's like Adventure Time) is that how can you take a premise that was so silly and simple and turned into a deep lore heavy drama garbage? It feels like it trying to have its cake and eat it too. It's either be a comedy or be a drama? Pick one. You can't be doing both. Then again, even as a kid, I was annoyed with both.

Oh, don't even get me started on the shipping. It was pure fanservice bait. And thing you mentioned about the KND forum? Geez, and I thought the Steven Universe fanbase was crazy...(ok not as bad as SU fanbase, but still)

now i know why i always prefer Craig of the Creek over Kids Next Door.
Yeah, me too.

kirbygame

Oh my god, yes. That's one thing I was hated about KND (and the problem I have with most cartoons in the 2010's like Adventure Time) is that how can you take a premise that was so silly and simple and turned into a deep lore heavy drama garbage? It feels like it trying to have its cake and eat it too. It's either be a comedy or be a drama? Pick one. You can't be doing both. Then again, even as a kid, I was annoyed with both.

Oh, don't even get me started on the shipping. It was pure fanservice bait. And thing you mentioned about the KND forum? Geez, and I thought the Steven Universe fanbase was crazy...(ok not as bad as SU fanbase, but still)
like i mention few posts ago, the genre "Dramedy" is a thing. live-action shows like Atlanta and Fargo and animated shows like Craig of the Creek and Bojack Horseman handles the genre really well.
but yeah, not all shows did a pretty good job at that genre. and the show you're talking about? big time agreed.
and as for shipping you're talking about? honestly thank god for Loud House for not letting Ronnie Anne x Lincoln canon. just friends.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
like i mention few posts ago, the genre "Dramedy" is a thing. live-action shows like Atlanta and Fargo and animated shows like Craig of the Creek and Bojack Horseman handles the genre really well.
Ok your right. As long as you handle a good balance between comedy and drama and did it in a natural way, then that's fine. I don't mind that. Unfortunately, most shows has suffered from a identity crisis for keeping bouncing one tone over the other.

ShadowBlinky

Shipping....(SIGH). It's things like that that makes me wonder every now and then if males and females shouldn't be in the same group/team on these shows. I'm pretty sure that's an unconventional or unpopular opinion, at least to many.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Apparently, the earliest sitcoms, like Lum & Abner or Amos ‘n Andy, were dramadies with continuous stories, running ~15 minutes each weekday; it wasn’t till the 40’s that 30 minute weekly sitcoms became common.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Just here to chime in that Craig of the Creek >>>> (is so, so much better than, for those who can't read math.) >>>> Codename: Kids Next Door, while the iron is still hot enough, because that's so true. Fight me if you must/dare, please. I will NOT back down, so thank you for understanding why.

Pooky

Staff member
Two Animaniacs ones:
1) I find Mindy and Buttons fairly funny and quite endearing
2) Goodfeathers aren't too bad either, I suspect they may have become infamous largely because they made up about a third of the (brief) second season (including back to back shorts comprising an entire episode), a run with no Pinky and the Brain shorts and much less Warners than you would expect.

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
Regarding Bugs + Daffy, here's what Linda Simensky had to say regarding Ali Baba Bunny:
Ali Baba Bunny was produced in an era where Bugs and Daffy were often paired up, and while that didn't always work, in this cartoon they seem to be formidable opponents. In the early 1950s, Daffy Duck was no longer just daffy. He had progressed to being greedy, cheap, and without a trace of empathy. When put in the right circumstances, this worked. Bugs, as paired up with Daffy, lost a little of his ability to incite conflict, being given the job of mostly reacting and politely suffering Daffy's outbursts. But in this cartoon, Bugs has his classic moments too.
I'm thinking of checking out all their shorts together to give my own assessment on the whole thing. I would like to say that I did like the hunting trilogy overall, not just Rabbit Fire. I especially enjoy the dialogue/signs in Duck! Rabbit, Duck! ("I'm a dirty skunk?!" "Brother, am I a pigeon." et al. "It's baseball season.").

Not that I'm against screwball Daffy, of course, just that greedy Daffy can work at times too (for me, at least).

Last edited:

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
Selfish, greedy Daffy Duck did have his moments (Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century, Duck Amuck, Jack Rabbit and the Beanstalk, the "Duck, Rabbit, Duck" trilogy), but giving Daffy a lack of empathy was taken to extremes during the shorts from the 1960s when Daffy became a straight up villain, like in those awful Depatie-Freleng shorts where he was pitted against Speedy Gonzales or "The Iceman Ducketh" which cast Daffy in what seemed to be the perfect Yosemite Sam role. Any director who casts Daffy in a short in which he holds another character at gunpoint for the bulk of it clearly doesn't understand his character. Friz Freleng himself once said about the character: "The first thing you need to understand about Daffy is, he's insane!" Friz said in an interview in Comics Scene magazine that he didn't see Daffy as an enemy to Bugs; he was an aggressive pal.

On the subject of Looney Tunes characters, The Looney Tunes Show version of Lola Bunny voiced by Kristen Wiig remains my favorite version of the character, although Lola on New Looney Tunes wasn't bad either. I was so disappointed that we didn't a funny version of Lola in Space Jam: A New Legacy. It's sad when Doug Walker's fan script take on Lola Bunny's debut on Space Jam was better than the version that we actually got.

Rhaynebow

Anime-opinion coming in.

I really don’t understand the hype around Cowboy Bebop. I watched the show and I honestly found it kinda boring. Like, outside of anything having to do with Spike and Julia, was the show really that good?

Whenever I see a Top 10 anime thing nowadays and Bebop is slapped on there, I can’t help but feel like it’s on the list because anime fans are obligated to put it on there, not because it’s actually better than the competition. And the more years go by, the more ridiculous it feels to keep throwing it on the board. We’re in a time period where Fullmetal Alchemist, Tokyo Ghoul and Attack on Titan were things, it’s not a sin against the Anime Gods if Tank isn’t in the Top 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Speaking of Anime-opinion, I have one just right now.

I actually prefer the original Dragon Ball over Dragon Ball Z (Kai).

Don't get me wrong, I do have a lot fond memories of watching Kai on Nicktoons Network back in the day, but when looking at the original Dragon Ball anime recently, I actually do find it to be much much better.

user313856

Anime-opinion coming in.

I really don’t understand the hype around Cowboy Bebop. I watched the show and I honestly found it kinda boring. Like, outside of anything having to do with Spike and Julia, was the show really that good?

Whenever I see a Top 10 anime thing nowadays and Bebop is slapped on there, I can’t help but feel like it’s on the list because anime fans are obligated to put it on there, not because it’s actually better than the competition. And the more years go by, the more ridiculous it feels to keep throwing it on the board. We’re in a time period where Fullmetal Alchemist, Tokyo Ghoul and Attack on Titan were things, it’s not a sin against the Anime Gods if Tank isn’t in the Top 5.
Or maybe lots of anime fans actually love it to the point of considering it a Top 10 anime even if you don't, have you stopped to consider that possibility?

Rhaynebow

Or maybe lots of anime fans actually love it to the point of considering it a Top 10 anime even if you don't, have you stopped to consider that possibility?

Hey, this is a thread for unpopular and unconventional opinions, I’m not saying people have to agree, I’m just saying I personally think the show wasn’t as good as people have hyped it up to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts