Unpopular Opinions

quintex96

I would rather have more animated shows on major networks in prime time then live-action dramas. I miss the days of shows like God the Devil and Bob, Dilbert, etc. Fortunately one of those shows "Sammy" starring David Spade popped up on Youtube after someone finally found all of the episodes, 8 of the 13 episodes have been uploaded so far. It's a damn shame NBC screwed over that show for no good reason(they lost faith in animation after God the Devil and Bob didn't do great ratings wise for them and once they aired the two episode of Sammy they were contractually obligated to air they ditched it, but that was their own damn fault since they didn't exactly do a great job promoting the show and many felt they only cancelled it to cave in to religious nutjobs that were protesting the show, which ironically enough was actually created by an ordained minister).

Dr.Pepper

“Watershed”/“safe harbor” blocks on family networks are overrated, not to mention unnecessary, obnoxious, ignorant, hypocritical, arbitrary, patronizing, self-serving, and self-congratulatory (among other things). Maybe some of us do need to be in bed by certain times, but, if anything, that’s up to the parents to decide, not something for the family networks to enforce. Each family has it’s own way of dealing with bedtime, and things like be unable to sleep for whatever reason. In some ways, this is a way of trying to tell viewers what to think, no matter how old they are, let alone whether or not they may or may not be parents. This sort of thing really needs to stop. Family networks need to just be family networks. Catering to just parents at certain times of the day isn’t fair to anyone, let alone the “target audience” (to put it one way). It’s just unfortunate that it took 3 years for the Nick. Jr. channel to finally get the hint (NickMom started in 2012, and was finally discontinued in 2015)…

Oh, and for the record, “Nick @ Nite” doesn’t count despite the current shows it has now, since it historically (repeat: “historically”) started out showing reruns of older sitcoms from back in the day; older family sitcoms. It’s actually a long story, but suffice it to say, that’s the general idea of what N@N was originally about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been kind of thinking about this more and I kind of agree. I’m not suggesting that Nick needs to start playing Paw Patrol at midnight or anything, but I think the content that is played on family channels need to be a soft PG-13 at worse.

Another issue they have with switching over to “adults only” is the time zone difference. If it’s 10 pm on the East coast, it’s only 7 in the west. That isn’t that late. I know these days most channels have an East and West version, but still I think it was an issue that Nick Jr had.

Dantheman

It's too bad animated prime-time action-adventure shows didn't take off, or airing children's shows with humor geared towards adults like Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain. I guess too many adults couldn't get past the "animation is for kids" mindset for them to he hits in prime-time.

Didn't Animaniacs comment on this somewhat noble experiment with a character saying something like "Don't put us up against 60 Minutes, we'll get creamed"?

Goldstar Neo

Good Morning!
It's too bad animated prime-time action-adventure shows didn't take off, or airing children's shows with humor geared towards adults like Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain. I guess too many adults couldn't get past the "animation is for kids" mindset for them to he hits in prime-time.

Didn't Animaniacs comment on this somewhat noble experiment with a character saying something like "Don't put us up against 60 Minutes, we'll get creamed"?
That joke was mostly a reference to the WB network's decision to run Pinky and the Brain on Sunday nights opposite 60 Minutes on CBS. The people in charge of the WB wanted the network to have their own prime time animated sitcom a la The Simpsons, and they thought that P&tB would be a good choice for this, so for P&tB's first season, the network ran the show on Sunday nights at 7PM (EST), but the show wasn't enough to drive adults away from 60 Minutes.

LinusFan303

Spending time with Frosty
That joke was mostly a reference to the WB network's decision to run Pinky and the Brain on Sunday nights opposite 60 Minutes on CBS. The people in charge of the WB wanted the network to have their own prime time animated sitcom a la The Simpsons, and they thought that P&tB would be a good choice for this, so for P&tB's first season, the network ran the show on Sunday nights at 7PM (EST), but the show wasn't enough to drive adults away from 60 Minutes.
60 Minutes a a power house, even now. That's why networks really don't air anything against it except maybe sports programming or an event thing. All the FOX animated shows that get that new episodes in that slot chuckle in how they are in danger. "Bob's Burgers" was the only show to not get cursed when it had the 7pmet or the 7:30pmet slots.

JMTV Studios

I know this may sound hypocritical of me, but am I the only one getting sick and tired of zoomer slangs such as "fam", "boomer", "sus", "karen", "yas", "I can't even", "simp", "stan", etc etc.

If you want it use it for jokes, that's fine, but to me, it is so overused and played out.

Every time people used those terms, I either groaned, rolled my eyes, or both.

I know this is hypocritical of me considering that I was born in 99'(so it technically counts me as a zoomer; though having a mentality of a millennial), and I used the word "boomer" in the past, but I don't used it all that often anymore.

Last edited:

the greenman

I know this may sound hypocritical of me, but am I the only one getting sick and tired of zoomer slangs such as "fam", "boomer", "sus", "karen", "yas", "I can't even", "stan", etc etc.

If you want it use it for jokes, that's fine, but to me, it is so overused and played out.

I know this is hypocritical of me considering that I was born in 99'(so it technically counts me as a zoomer; though having a mentality of a millennial), and I used the word "boomer" in the past, but I don't used it all that often anymore.
Probably in your environment, you're hearing it so much. I hear one or two of those often, but not enough to cancel them. A passing thing.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Dr.Pepper

I know this may sound hypocritical of me, but am I the only one getting sick and tired of zoomer slangs such as "fam", "boomer", "sus", "karen", "yas", "I can't even", "stan", etc etc.

I agree with “Karen”. I feel bad with anyone with the name.

LinusFan303

Spending time with Frosty
I know this may sound hypocritical of me, but am I the only one getting sick and tired of zoomer slangs such as "fam", "boomer", "sus", "karen", "yas", "I can't even", "simp", "stan", etc etc.

All phrases of the time sound kind of annoying, there were people annoyed of groovy, bangin' , far-out etc. in the 1970's , there will always be annoying words, that will cause pain to hear.

Though I'm with @Dr.Pepper on Karen, and using other names too as insults it's kind of annoying, and unfair to for people with those names.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
This development really surprised me. It feels like the first time that Americans use a name as an insult. (I dunno, I thought Americans were better than that lol)

In Europe, this is quite common. Kevin, Johnny, Chantal, Yuri and any name ending with the letter Y are all hated. And they all have their own stereotype, but one thing they have in common is that these people are all considered stupid and will never succeed in life.

The word for this is "kevinism" (racism based on name). It is really bad. According to studies in Germany, teachers openly admit that they think children named Kevin are less intelligent and seek more attention. I think it's the same in Belgium. And nothing is done about it because: "It is their parents' fault! Who in their right mind would call their son Kevin?"

I suppose this will eventually happen in the USA as well with Karen. I highly advice you guys to not call your child Karen. This is not a fight you can win... Don't think you can change the world by naming your child Karen and making sure she is very friendly and well-behaved. First of all, there are already thousands of friendly women named Karen, and secondly, if your child grows up under constant discrimination, he/she will misbehave. And people will think: "What a typical Kevin/Karen, he/she gives nothing but problems!"

Pooky

My mother's name is Karen, so needless to say I wasn't too enamoured of the trend. But my mother is a teacher, and it doesn't seem to have had any adverse effect on her popularity with the Gen Z 16-18 year olds she teaches, so as far as I know it's ultimately pretty harmless, at least here in the UK at this point in time.

I think something similar to "Kevinism" happened in the UK in the 80s and 90s with the names Trevor, Sharon and Tracy.

JMTV Studios

All phrases of the time sound kind of annoying, there were people annoyed of groovy, bangin' , far-out etc. in the 1970's , there will always be annoying words, that will cause pain to hear.
True.

Though I'm with @Dr.Pepper on Karen, and using other names too as insults it's kind of annoying, and unfair to for people with those names.
Especially "Chad". I feel bad for them.

Goldstar Neo

Good Morning!
On the subject of trendy terms, I don't like it when people say "throuple", as in "The 3 of us are a throuple". That's a stupid term. It's also unnecessary, since there's already an English word for a group of three: a trio. Why not just say "trio"?

JMTV Studios

On the subject of trendy terms, I don't like it when people say "throuple", as in "The 3 of us are a throuple". That's a stupid term. It's also unnecessary, since there's already an English word for a group of three: a trio. Why not just say "trio"?
Never heard of that word, but I'll take your word for it.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Because the connotation is different from a trio. mé·nage à trois even if used as a raunchy joke amongst friends.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So the featured threads are never going to be updated?
Imagine if Shea Fontana and Matt Hoverman collaborated on a project. Her brand of positivity, inclusivity, and fun cheesiness combined with his emotional moments, mature storytelling, and Broadway like songs (helped by how he's worked as a playwright) would be really awesome to see.
Blockchain is used so frequently that you might as well call it something like "Ether Realm" instead.
Well, now my laptop is functioning back to normal.
Yesterday at my local Meijer store, I saw LEGO sets for The Batman movie. I guess merch is starting to hit the shelves.

Featured Posts