Unpopular Opinions

the greenman

My issue with Disney is, they often try to alter stuff to be hip, PC, or diversify. I feel like this is a mistake. 10 years ago, no one screamed at them because there was no Black characters in Avengers (not counting Fury, who is a whole other story). Im pretty sure people see the issues with them, and are checking out.

No offense, but I don't want to watch the NBA if they have Melissa McCarthy, Chrissy Metz, RuPaul, and Pete Davidson. However that's what a minority of people are screaming about, and demanding that. I for one just want the IP that I was promised.

On Inhumans, were they not originally antagonists? Mainly because of Medusa? I feel like the filmmakers of Disney just want to make some of these characters X-men 1.5, not knowing anything about them. Eternals included.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
My issue with Disney is, they often try to alter stuff to be hip, PC, or diversify. I feel like this is a mistake. 10 years ago, no one screamed at them because there was no Black characters in Avengers (not counting Fury, who is a whole other story). Im pretty sure people see the issues with them, and are checking out.

No offense, but I don't want to watch the NBA if they have Melissa McCarthy, Chrissy Metz, RuPaul, and Pete Davidson. However that's what a minority of people are screaming about, and demanding that. I for one just want the IP that I was promised.

None taken. As an African American, I'm all for diversity, but not when it's forced or clearly just being done for brownie points. When all is said and done, I just want to be entertained and for it not to come off as pretentious.
On Inhumans, were they not originally antagonists? Mainly because of Medusa? I feel like the filmmakers of Disney just want to make some of these characters X-men 1.5, not knowing anything about them. Eternals included.
Like most Marvel characters, they originally clashed with the Fantastic Four, but later on become sort-of allies, largely due to Johnny Storm striking up a romance with Medusa's sister Crystal. Both Medusa and Crystal were temporary fill-in members of the FF at different times. Also the Inhumans' teleporting dog Lockjaw has a genuine fondness for Ben Grimm, who is likewise taken with the giant drooling pooch.

But there's no doubt that Disney Marvel was only interested in the Inhumans because at that time the X-Men were property of FOX; at the same time in the comics Marvel was pushing the idea to make the Inhumans the new mutants because Disney at the time was unable to make an X-Men movie. They went so far as having a story wherein they had a Terrigen bomb go off on Earth which not only began creating new Earth-born Inhumans (aka Nu Humans, including Kamala Khan, the current Ms. Marvel) but also began killing off or sterilizing Earth's mutants; it was basically Disney's way of saying "If we can't have the mutants, then no one can!"

Silverstar

Despite the almighty YouTube algorithm currently favoring longer content, I have a hard time sitting through long YouTube videos. When they start to skirt the hour mark, I find myself either zoning out or dozing off. And a three-hour YouTube video? Forget about it. That's the length of a movie, man. Most movies are hard for me to sit through.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Despite the almighty YouTube algorithm currently favoring longer content, I have a hard time sitting through long YouTube videos. When they start to skirt the hour mark, I find myself either zoning out or dozing off. And a three-hour YouTube video? Forget about it. That's the length of a movie, man. Most movies are hard for me to sit through.
I don't understand why people don't like the break in the middle of a movie at a theater. That way I can let my attention span rest for 10 to 20 minutes.

Furthermore, whenever a movie lacks such a pause, people start going to the toilet during the movie and say "Sorry, sorry, sorry, let me pass through, sorry, sorry" a million times...

Dr.Pepper

On a related note, I have no problems paying attention to a movie in the theater. At home it’s a whole another story.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
On a related note, I have no problems paying attention to a movie in the theater. At home it’s a whole another story.
I'm with you- too many distractions at home. I like being able to go to a movie theater and plug out for a couple of hours to enjoy a nice movie. That's why I hope the experience doesn't become as niche as it's heading towards.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Proud to say I haven't seen a single Marvel live action feature since Avengers: Endgame.
I enjoyed the Avengers series, I enjoyed the Captain America series, but thats it,
I'm done with Marvel. Tired of that timesink. Thanks for the memories, Kevin Feige.
To be honest, I haven't seen any Marvel projects nor couldn't get into them because I'm not a superhero fan in general.

The only Marvel stuff I do like was Sony's 2 Sam Raimi's Spiderman movies, Black Panther, and the Wandavision show, and that's about it. Though, Endgame and Infinity War were pretty good.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
I find it odd how Warner Brothers is the only major movie/entertainment studio in the U.S. to not have a network named after it (The Disney Channel, Paramount Network, Universal Kids, etc.). Yes, there was The WB Network, but that's gone now and there was a WB (pay TV) Channel in India, but it shut down last year. Even WB's streaming service is named after HBO. Does the WB name not have great enough brand recognition?

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
I find it odd how Warner Brothers is the only major movie/entertainment studio in the U.S. to not have a network named after it (The Disney Channel, Paramount Network, Universal Kids, etc.). Yes, there was The WB Network, but that's gone now and there was a WB (pay TV) Channel in India, but it shut down last year. Even WB's streaming service is named after HBO. Does the WB name not have great enough brand recognition?
Yeah, it's kinda odd that WB seems to be the unlucky ones when they tried to have their own ventures, they flopped one after the other. The WB, Kids WB, Warner Channel India, and now HBO Max.

I guess maybe because they don't have a long term plan on what to do with their ventures. They just focus on the short term profits to get people to subscribe.

People recognize WB due to it's logo, shows, movies, and cartoons, but not much anything else.

Which is a shame since The WB had potential to be decent, but FOX pretty much took the spotlight.

Pooky

Staff member
From projects like Space Jam 2 you do get the sense Warners are trying to recapture the Disney-style brand recognition they arguably used to have in the 90s, so it is odd their streaming service doesn't bare their name. I wouldn't be shocked if it gets a rebrand at some point.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
From projects like Space Jam 2 you do get the sense Warners are trying to recapture the Disney-style brand recognition they arguably used to have in the 90s,
Or a case of circlejerking themselves just to shill HBO Max. Yeah, I don't like that.

so it is odd their streaming service doesn't bare their name. I wouldn't be shocked if it gets a rebrand at some point.
I heard that once the Discovery merger is completed, they'll might changed the name. We'll see.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I think Sky not putting Now on first generation Amazon Fire TV sticks wasn't a good idea since it's only available on later generations starting with the second generation.
Interestingly enough, Warner TV is still used in Latin America, Africa and other countries.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
I really missed when brands being so creative and unique when it comes to their logos and bumpers without being so bland and corporate.

I recently watched some Nicktoons Network bumpers on YouTube. Man, it has so much creativity and imagination with their branding that we don't really see with Nickelodeon anymore (Action to the Maxtion my butt). As a kid, I really love the aesthetic of being The Animation Capitol of the World since it was a great tribute to Nick Animation. But since 2009, all of the creativity and stuff was gone.

I'm pretty sure there's other ones that I can think of, but I'll come back to it for another time.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
I really missed when brands being so creative and unique when it comes to their logos and bumpers without being so bland and corporate.

I recently watched some Nicktoons Network bumpers on YouTube. Man, it has so much creativity and imagination with their branding that we don't really see with Nickelodeon anymore (Action to the Maxtion my butt). As a kid, I really love the aesthetic of being The Animation Capitol of the World since it was a great tribute to Nick Animation. But since 2009, all of the creativity and stuff was gone.

I'm pretty sure there's other ones that I can think of, but I'll come back to it for another time.
The animated bumpers and idents for MTV in the 1980s and the ones for Nick at Nite in the late 80s to early 90s were really creative and interesting. Even when I didn't stay to watch whatever show was about to air on N@N, I would wait to see which bumper the station was going to show just before the start of the program. Some of the ones for Viacom's HA! the TV comedy Network (before HA! merged with HBO's Comedy Channel to become Comedy Central a year later) were good too. I know this makes me sound like an old man, but it's too bad that cable channels don't make imaginative bumpers and station idents anymore.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
The animated bumpers and idents for MTV in the 1980s and the ones for Nick at Nite in the late 80s to early 90s were really creative and interesting.
Oh yeah, I love them, too.

I know this makes me sound like an old man, but it's too bad that cable channels don't make imaginative bumpers and station idents anymore.
Oh you're not the only one. I feel the same way as you do.

Silverstar

I like Comedy Central OK, but I kind of wish that HA! (Viacom's original comedy channel that preceded Comedy Central) had stuck around; I liked its' mixed of classic and contemporary comedies and I just liked the HA! name, logo and bumpers/idents more. In fact, I sometimes like to fantasize that The Hub had survived and merged with HA!, so the channel would be The Hub during the day and become HA! at night.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts