Unpopular Opinions

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Also, I'm thinking that after the merger is complete, HBO Max and Discovery+ will likely be offered together as a bundle similar to the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu bundle rather than both being merged into a single service.
Also, there's the Paramount Plus and Showtime bundle. But yeah, calling it the "WarnerMax and Discovery Plus Bundle". I can see now... :)

the greenman

I'm not exactly sure what the big draw is for Discovery+ honestly. I know they have docs and reality, but apparently they're making alot of money off streaming. WB is probably going to need them on the streaming front.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
The Peacock name, I think was the best branding since Hulu and Tubi, it's based off one of the strongest media symbols besides the CBS eye. Naming a streaming service after a studio is kind of uncreative and limiting.
I just see it as brand recognition, so Joe and Jane Average Viewer will associate the service with that studio and have some idea of what to expect to see on it, like how all of the Nickelodeon channels have the word 'Nick' somewhere in the name or how all of the Disney channels have Disney in their name except for Freeform. (Hulu and Tubi are just random names; I would have no idea who owns them unless I took the time to do the research.) Just sticking a + after the name, that's uncreative and lazy.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I just see it as brand recognition, so Joe and Jane Average Viewer will associate the service with that studio and have some idea of what to expect to see on it, like how all of the Nickelodeon channels have the word 'Nick' somewhere in the name or how all of the Disney channels have Disney in their name except for Freeform. (Hulu and Tubi are just random names; I would have no idea who owns them unless I took the time to do the research.) Just sticking a + after the name, that's uncreative and lazy.
I will say most viewers don't know for most movies and shows what studios made what or care. Peacock , for example, has Everybody Loves Raymond, a person who wants to watch the show doesn't care what studio made the show, just where they can watch it. Calling the service Universal something would be more confusing, since not everything on Peacock is from the same studio, like my example show. Same with HBO Max, "The Nanny" isn't made by Warner or owned by Warner. It just makes more sense to have memorable name than going with movie studio names.

(Also HBO Max has that name because it's also the HBO catch up service for people with cable, it replaced HBO Go) and (Hulu's name is not random, the explanation of the name is long and weird. Tubi's name is TV was also called "The Tube".)

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
This is getting off-topic, people. We already have threads for the various streaming services, and opinions on what they should change their name to can be posted there.

Also, before we get back to the topic, remember this thread (and the one in General Animation) isn't meant to just voice your opinions on random things. I'm seeing a lot of things in both topics that aren't really unpopular opinions, just opinions (and hell, I've probably been guilty of it a couple times). Before you post, think, "Is this really a minority opinion?"

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Honestly, I'm not really fond of the term "jumping the shark" anymore. I feel like there's should be a better term to describe a franchise declining in popularity than this one.

quintex96

For me, I feel like Google shouldn't YouTube to begin with.

I don't see why not? Calling it "Peacock" was a very weird choice.
weird thing is Google already had their own video service called "Google Video" before they bought Youtube, one wonders why they simply didn't just spend more money upgrading their own service to compete with Youtube.

I actually didn't think the 2017 film The Snowman was that bad, though I'm well aware of its poor reception.
same.

Does anyone know why HBOmax doesn't carry everything HBO? Anybody old enough to remember the early days would remember stuff like Fraggle Rock, Not Necessarily the News, Dream On, and even Tales From the Crypt.

Someone said Crypt was on Shudder, don't own it so don't know. Fraggle is under a copyright issue I guesss.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
no Tales from the Crypt is not on Shudder, I can confirm that.

I do think that naming the service HBO Max has been a deterrent. On the one hand, HBO is a name that stands for quality to many, so I understand the appeal of using that marquee name. But on the other, I've noticed that almost as many other people consider HBO to be elitist and unobtainable, and plenty think that the service only has their shows, not realizing the wealth of content they offer.

Going with something like Warner Max or Warner+ would help to signify more of the studio's massive library.
Yeah very few people would ever associate HBO with Looney Tunes or kids shows like Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls.

To me, renaming the service to Discovery Max would suggest that the Discovery programming is the bigger draw when I feel like the opposite is true. I've said this before, but I would go with either Warner Max or WB Max. I considered WB Now, but I'd prefer to keep the "Max" in the name, because that just sounds cool to me.

Also, I'm thinking that after the merger is complete, HBO Max and Discovery+ will likely be offered together as a bundle similar to the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu bundle rather than both being merged into a single service.
WB Now is a great name.

Mod Note: Merged 5 posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button on the right to quote more than 1 post instead of replying 5 times in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowBlinky

To be completely honest I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion might be or if it even is unpopular, but I'll say it anyway: the 80s had the best music ever.

quintex96

To be completely honest I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion might be or if it even is unpopular, but I'll say it anyway: the 80s had the best music ever.
as someone born in 1990 I agree, I find myself mostly listening to hair metal and I find a lot of popular music now not very good, it's not just me either, there's a whole article on how older music is more popular then newer music.

In regards to music, I don't like most modern hip-hop, that Migos-style trap-rap does absolutely nothing for me, far too many of those artists sound virtually identical to one another, I find myself mostly listening to 90s 2000s and early to mid-10s hip-hop and very little stuff released in the past 5-6 years or so.

For something unrelated to music I HATED it when the Sci-Fi Channel changed their spelling to "Syfy" for no apparent reason, it looks really effing dumb and I refuse to ever spell it that way and recognize that terrible name-change(if it's sitll pronounced the same why change it at all?).

Pooky

Staff member

In the 90s? Very unpopular.

15-20 years ago? Pretty unpopular unless you were saying it "ironically".

Since then though all the baggage seems to have gone and 80s is possibly the most iconic decade for music, and much besides.

Pooky

Staff member
Isn't that part of the appeal though? If you like that Synth-driven sound, it's a plus that there was so much of it at a certain period of time, and there's a certain comfort that if you buy a soundtrack album or Now! compilation there's going to be some commonality between the songs.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I've never played any of the Five Nights at Freddy's games nor have I ever been inside of a Chuck E. Cheese, but Freddy Fazbear's Mega Pizzaplex looks like it'd be a fun place to visit (during regular hours when the animatronics aren't trying to kill you, of course). I especially like aesthetics of the place; it looks like if somebody decided to turn the wraparounds of Cartoon Network's ACME Night into a mall/family restaurant.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts