Velma Dinkley Series In Development

SweetShop209

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Hopefully this Velma will be more fun to watch than the one in the last few DTV movies. I think they should still give her some sort of a supporting cast or a sidekick, or something. Not sure how she would work solo, but I am kind of interested in checking this out.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't go for a Daphne & Velma show, I think there was a live-action movie and a couple of books with them recently.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Only a matter of time before a edgy live action take on Scooby Doo is announced by The CW and co-produced by Greg Berlanti, with the aim of setting it in the same universe as Riverdale, allowing crossovers between them.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I'm not sure if we need a Velma origin series, but I like the idea of Mindy Kaling voicing her. She has a very similar voice to the character, and I think she can be fun in the role.

I'm sure some people were disappointed to see this Mindy instead of Mindy Cohn, and I get it. I get the two names mixed up more often than I care to admit, which is why the thought of Kaling voicing Velma often comes to mind.

powerjake

Banned
This better not suffer the same fate as Ren and Stimpy when it got Adult Party Cartoon. A kids cartoon getting an adult counterpart. It should not be turned into Netflix cartoons like Paradise PD, Big Mouth or Adult Swims JJ Villard's Fairy Tales.

Samurai Jack season 5 was really good on Adult Swim, so maybe it depends on how its made on HBO Max.

wiley207

Interesting. I remember how with "What's New, Scooby-Doo?" they largely focused on Velma, Daphne and Fred while demoting Scooby and Shaggy to extras (except for that weird "Camp Comeoniwannascareya" episode that only had Scooby and Shaggy!) So I would assume this series may end up being somewhat like "What's New, Scooby-Doo" with only Velma, since that show often felt like a semi-serious teenage sitcom (like The WB was often running at the time), that is when it wasn't being like a realistic version of "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" with the gang as young adults! Or maybe it'll be like "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated" with only Velma, and since it's to be aimed at mature audiences, it'd make sense to make it really dark and violent and edgy (even though SD:MI got away with that in 2010-2013, I REALLY doubt they'd be able to do something like that nowadays!)

hobbyfan

What I'm getting from this is that Ms. Kaling may be looking at catering to the internet rumors about Velma's, ah, preferences, which have been the source of rumors since the 90's at least.

Funny how this comes along after Velma's creators, Joe Ruby & Ken Spears, both passed away........

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
You may not need a live-action take going by Ms. Kaling's own words on the series' expectations:
I still want the Mystery Inc. gang to meet up with Archie and his friends, which would be best suited for the CW.

wiley207

You'd have a better chance of seeing that in a DTV.
Yeah; since WB Animation did collaborate with Viacom for that Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossover direct-to-video movie, I could see WBA doing something similar again with Archie Comics to have the Scooby gang meet the Archies! Or maybe they could even collaborate with DHX/Wildbrain and have the Scooby gang meet Inspector Gadget! That could be an even more likely crossover; I could see Maurice LaMarche reprising the role of Gadget, and since they already have Frank Welker on board as Fred and Scooby-Doo, he could easily reprise Brain, Dr. Claw and M.A.D. Cat!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Yeah; since WB Animation did collaborate with Viacom for that Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles crossover direct-to-video movie, I could see WBA doing something similar again with Archie Comics to have the Scooby gang meet the Archies! Or maybe they could even collaborate with DHX/Wildbrain and have the Scooby gang meet Inspector Gadget! That could be an even more likely crossover; I could see Maurice LaMarche reprising the role of Gadget, and since they already have Frank Welker on board as Fred and Scooby-Doo, he could easily reprise Brain, Dr. Claw and M.A.D. Cat!
Easily? I would think Dr. Claw would be murder on his vocal chords for a guy his age.

hobbyfan

It's all contingent on each side being willing to cooperate and collaborate in those cases. Batman/TMNT being co-produced by Viacom was necessary since they were adapting one of the DC/IDW co-published miniseries. DC & Archie did a Batman '66-Archie miniseries a couple of years back, so if they can adapt that (w/someone mimicking Adam West), you could finally get the Superteens personas in a cartoon.

SweetShop209

Tom Anschiem talks about the Velma series produced by and starring Mindy Kaling. At the 22 minute point, he says how Velma will be of East Asian descent, and that there is "no dog" and "no van", but it will feature the 4 human members of the gang.

AdrenalineRush1996

Tom Aschiem talks about the Velma series produced by and starring Mindy Kaling. At the 22 minute point, he says how Velma will be of East Asian descent, and that there is "no dog" and "no van", but it will feature the 4 human members of the gang.

Thus making the first time since Daphne & Velma in which Scooby is absent.
:^: I've said it before: no Scooby, no me. Period. I'm out.
When was the first time you said that?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 52nd birthday to Vanessa Marshall.
My tweet become banger?? how?

Did a search for Woody Woodpecker this morning, and I found this...
I wish a happy 65th birthday to Craig Bartlett. He's the creator of Hey Arnold, Dinosaur Train, and Ready Jet Go.

Featured Posts