Velma Dinkley Series In Development

Frontier

Staff member
Credit to Mindy for thinking outside the box in revamping all but Fred (and, to a lesser extent, Daphne). Downside is that you can't use the argument that you're reintroducing the gang to a new audience. The franchise has been a fixture on television and online for over 50 years. You're going to have long-time fans tuning this show out because of the changes. Plus, there's that reunion special set to air on CW in the fall, which will lean more toward the traditional canon and do next to nothing for Mindy's new project.

Changing Velma & her family to Indian-American? Ok.

Flipping Shaggy to African American? Questionable.

Daphne adopted? Meh. They took that tack with Fred in Mystery, Inc. 11 years ago while continuing to dumb him down, which they'd been doing for a while.

Do we have a launch date yet?
At this point it feels like an original show about an Indian-American girl detective (which I can understand) and less of an adaption of Scooby-Doo.

Scooby's not even in it!

Frontier

Staff member
I'm guessing it's for brand recognition. They probably figure they can capture the Scooby audience if it's connected (albeit very loosely) to an already famous existing IP.
Although with how little this looks recognizably Scooby, I'm not sure how successful they'll be...

JMTV Studios

I'm guessing it's for brand recognition. They probably figure they can capture the Scooby audience if it's connected (albeit very loosely) to an already famous existing IP.
Oh, of course. I'm not surprised.
Capture551.PNG

Although with how little this looks recognizably Scooby, I'm not sure how successful they'll be...

Probably as successful as Velma and Daphne 2018. (remember that, kids?)

AdrenalineRush1996

Here's the thing, guys. We haven't even seen what the art style will be and heck, there hasn't been any explanation on why Scooby is absent from this. Just because he's absent in this doesn't rule out the possibility of him showing up in the future.

I strongly doubt that the characters will barely resemble their source material counterparts, i.e. in name only. Racelifting a character doesn't necessarily make them an in name only version.

Rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMTV Studios

Here's the thing, guys. We haven't even seen what the art style will be and heck, there hasn't been any explanation on why Scooby is absent from this. Just because he's absent in this doesn't rule out the possibility of him showing up in the future.

I strongly doubt that the characters will barely resemble their source material counterparts, i.e. in name only. Racelifting a character doesn't necessarily make them an in name only version.

Rant over.
Okay, I'm sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldstar Neo

Good Morning!
This though occurred to me: It's possible that Warner Bros. doesn't want to taint Scooby Doo's family-friendly image by putting him in an adult cartoon. Scooby's practically a mascot for Hanna-Barbera at this point.

SweetShop209

Then what about ScoobyNatural, an animated episode of the adult, live action series Supernatural? No one at Warner Brothers protested that episode, and it's animated in the same style of the 2010s DVD movies.

Dr.Pepper

Then what about ScoobyNatural, an animated episode of the adult, live action series Supernatural? No one at Warner Brothers protested that episode, and it's animated in the same style of the 2010s DVD movies.
I’m guessing that’s different because it was a one off thing. Also I’ve never seen Supernatural, but is it that inappropriate?

Anywho, this series is getting worse to me the more I hear about it. I literally burst out laughing at Fred not going through puberty.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy 52nd birthday to Vanessa Marshall.
My tweet become banger?? how?

Did a search for Woody Woodpecker this morning, and I found this...
I wish a happy 65th birthday to Craig Bartlett. He's the creator of Hey Arnold, Dinosaur Train, and Ready Jet Go.

Featured Posts