Weird errors/bugs seen on animation/children's networks

AnimatedFan01

What are some weird network bugs on children's/animation television stations (e.g. Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, Discovery Kids) you remember seeing while watching them?

I remember sometime around the summer of '07, when CN was airing One Piece (I remember it still being unusually light outside, so either I must have been watching it on a different central which shows the airings earlier, or it was airing outside of Toonami at the time), after a commercial break finished, I saw the Adult Swim logo to the bottom right of the screen instead, only for it to return to the CN logo about 15 seconds later (and oddly enough the AS logo bug showed up a few seconds before the show came back on, during a Pop-Tart commercial IIRC).

I never saw this during the airing, but apparently one time in April last year, qubo mistakenly aired an episode of My Friend Rabbit with a TV-14-LV rating. Holy-I'm pretty sure this glitch was primarily caused by ion being a sister network which airs some programs (ie. Law & Order) with a TV-14 rating. They're lucky OTA television doesn't allow TV-MA content (or do they?)... Also, qubo generally has been pretty inconsistent with their ratings in that they tend to air preschool animated shows with a TV-Y7 or TV-G and more non-educational fare with a TV-Y. I remember one time a couple years back I was watching Qubo at 5:00 in the morning (blame me for finding most of the live-action content on my OTA TV boring), I saw this preschool cartoon about a boy and his family that was freakishly animated (can't remember the name of it and have been searching through their former programs list but can't seem to find images from the right show), and it said it was rated TV-PG, despite being aimed at toddlers and containing nothing objectionable. Thankfully, subsequent airings of the show were shown to be TV-G.

There were a couple times in 2013 where I saw SpongeBob being aired with a TV-Y logo, probably a bug caused by airing after Nick Jr. Not that surprising though, given how this is the rating it and most other Nicktoons had until 2007 when a shift to Y7 was made.

Also around late 2011 Disney Junior was hacked and an airing of Lilo and Stitch transitioned into....NSFW material. I'm glad I never tuned into that.

(I wish I could bring up the fact that MeTV inexplicably airs Saved by the Bell on Sundays with an E/I label when it's a comedy and not educational in the slightest, but I don't want to get booted off this forum for discussing live-action. Oh well, at least The Flintstones airs two full hours after it, so there's that for relevance.)

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

One time around 20 years ago, CN played Ed Edd n Eddy and Courage the Cowardly Dog with a TV-Y rating. It was during CCF and there might of been other shows too.

One time around 15 years ago there was a day on CN where the whole schedule was off my 15 minutes. It was a weekday, and I’m pretty sure it was in the summer because I didn’t have school.

AnimatedFan01

Saved by the Bell actually airs(or at least aired) on a lot of stations for E/I content, including nbc
I'm still wondering why that's so. It may take place in a school, and Zack did speak to the audience at least once per episode, but the show is a comedy and is aimed at preteens rather than preschoolers. Yeah the characters do learn a moral at the end of each episode, but really any show can be considered E/I fare since there's some moral resolution at the end of every episode (by that logic we might as well start airing SpongeBob on Nick Jr. since TV Tropes takes note of each episode's many aesops...and most other children's cartoons, like The Loud House). Aside from episodes that dealt with substance abuse, caffeine addiction, and drunk driving, the show wasn't a realistic portrayal of teenagers in the slightest, and E/I programs are supposed to have at least a moderate amount of realism, hence their tendency to engage with the audience. I pity the little ones who will be all like "Hey high school is nothing like it was shown on Saved by the Bell, let's sue MeTV for false advertising" lol.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Just so everybody is aware, networks used to abuse the E/I rating and attach it to shows that had no educational value whatsoever. It's the reason Congress cracked down on that, made unreachable expectations for networks and educational programs, which ultimately led to Saturday Morning being canceled for kids. If you ever want to know who is responsible for taking away Saturday Morning cartoons, it was the people who rated Saved By The Bell E/I.

AnimatedFan01

Just so everybody is aware, networks used to abuse the E/I rating and attach it to shows that had no educational value whatsoever. It's the reason Congress cracked down on that, made unreachable expectations for networks and educational programs, which ultimately led to Saturday Morning being canceled for kids. If you ever want to know who is responsible for taking away Saturday Morning cartoons, it was the people who rated Saved By The Bell E/I.
Saturday Morning Cartoons on OTA television have recently returned on MeTV.

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
One time in December 2015, my dad was flipping through channels and stumbled upon the Teen Titans Go! episode "BBBDay!" airing with no channel bug. Even weirder, according to an archived schedule I found, BBBDay wasn't even supposed to air that day. Maybe it was a last minute schedule change?

AnimatedFan01

I remember one time I saw a video of a Courage the Cowardly Dog episode that had a TV-14 rating bug at the beginning of the theme song, probably having aired before Adult Swim was starting. Also, I remember seeing one airing of My Gym Partner's a Monkey during the Cartoon Fridays block that had a TV-Y rating. Lastly, the way YouTube's payment service to see full episodes of TV shows often gets the ratings wrong. They label Chowder with a TV-Y even though it's Y7-FV, but get this: they've mistakenly labeled Happy Tree Friends with a TV-Y. Probably just for the cutesy animals, but damn.

I remember hearing several years back that one time when CN aired an episode of Hole in the Wall in 2011 they labeled it with a TV-14 rating. Holy cow. And apparently it was just because a contestant said "Damn" (IIRC) after losing, which is tame by even PG standards of Cartoon Network, hence there was once a short-lived block in 2005 called Sunday Pants which got away with saying "Damn" twice and it was TV-PG. They could have just bleeped it regardless of the curse and it could have easily gotten a TV-PG-L. Too bad nobody seems to have a recording of this airing, I'd be really intrigued to see the TV-14 logo on the regular CN block, though at least I have seen promos and brief airings of them showing TV-14 movies.

AnimatedFan01

I just saw the Wake Up with Me bumper on MeTV advertising I Love Lucy and Gilligan's Island even when the former is gone now and the latter moved to Sunday afternoons. I Love Lucy and Gilligan's Island? That's a funny way to spell Toon in with Me.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Saved by the Bell actually airs(or at least aired) on a lot of stations for E/I content, including nbc

I'm still wondering why that's so. It may take place in a school, and Zack did speak to the audience at least once per episode, but the show is a comedy and is aimed at preteens rather than preschoolers. Yeah the characters do learn a moral at the end of each episode, but really any show can be considered E/I fare since there's some moral resolution at the end of every episode (by that logic we might as well start airing SpongeBob on Nick Jr. since TV Tropes takes note of each episode's many aesops...and most other children's cartoons, like The Loud House). Aside from episodes that dealt with substance abuse, caffeine addiction, and drunk driving, the show wasn't a realistic portrayal of teenagers in the slightest, and E/I programs are supposed to have at least a moderate amount of realism, hence their tendency to engage with the audience. I pity the little ones who will be all like "Hey high school is nothing like it was shown on Saved by the Bell, let's sue MeTV for false advertising" lol.

Not to derail anything, but I do love explain this a little. Saved by the Bell was part of NBC's TNBC block the whole 3 hours was considered E/I for the years it ran.

Here's a station file from 2005 and WTBS Atlanta, when they and TBS TV were the same thing, I'd see the E/I symbol on the screen. Here's how they said the show was E/I

1610942540008.png

Here's another one from 2019 from KKTV for the METV block airings. It says that the show isn't afraid to to tackle the occasional serious subject. Then it just starts listing characters , I don't think the government even cares about these.

1610942718296.png

Degrassi TNG was also once aired on Local stations and was E/I compliant but it kind of makes sense with the seasons they aired.
1610943324112.png

mimitchi33

Here's one courtesy of Zap2It. Can you spot the mistake?
zap2iterror2.PNG

serious business mistake.PNG

Dr.Pepper

This just popped in my head, but my brother claimed that when the Billy & Mandy episode, The Firebird Sweet, first aired CN played a voice over during the fake credits.

mimitchi33

This just popped in my head, but my brother claimed that when the Billy & Mandy episode, The Firebird Sweet, first aired CN played a voice over during the fake credits.
I can see why that could've confused them!

Dr.Pepper

I don’t know if this counts, but on Vudu some episodes of Craig of the Creek are rated TV-14.

ArtieRaccoonYT

What are some weird network bugs on children's/animation television stations (e.g. Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, Discovery Kids) you remember seeing while watching them?

I remember sometime around the summer of '07, when CN was airing One Piece (I remember it still being unusually light outside, so either I must have been watching it on a different central which shows the airings earlier, or it was airing outside of Toonami at the time), after a commercial break finished, I saw the Adult Swim logo to the bottom right of the screen instead, only for it to return to the CN logo about 15 seconds later (and oddly enough the AS logo bug showed up a few seconds before the show came back on, during a Pop-Tart commercial IIRC).

I never saw this during the airing, but apparently one time in April last year, qubo mistakenly aired an episode of My Friend Rabbit with a TV-14-LV rating. Holy-I'm pretty sure this glitch was primarily caused by ion being a sister network which airs some programs (ie. Law & Order) with a TV-14 rating. They're lucky OTA television doesn't allow TV-MA content (or do they?)... Also, qubo generally has been pretty inconsistent with their ratings in that they tend to air preschool animated shows with a TV-Y7 or TV-G and more non-educational fare with a TV-Y. I remember one time a couple years back I was watching Qubo at 5:00 in the morning (blame me for finding most of the live-action content on my OTA TV boring), I saw this preschool cartoon about a boy and his family that was freakishly animated (can't remember the name of it and have been searching through their former programs list but can't seem to find images from the right show), and it said it was rated TV-PG, despite being aimed at toddlers and containing nothing objectionable. Thankfully, subsequent airings of the show were shown to be TV-G.

There were a couple times in 2013 where I saw SpongeBob being aired with a TV-Y logo, probably a bug caused by airing after Nick Jr. Not that surprising though, given how this is the rating it and most other Nicktoons had until 2007 when a shift to Y7 was made.

Also around late 2011 Disney Junior was hacked and an airing of Lilo and Stitch transitioned into....NSFW material. I'm glad I never tuned into that.

(I wish I could bring up the fact that MeTV inexplicably airs Saved by the Bell on Sundays with an E/I label when it's a comedy and not educational in the slightest, but I don't want to get booted off this forum for discussing live-action. Oh well, at least The Flintstones airs two full hours after it, so there's that for relevance.)
Back in 2013, I saw a couple of SpongeBob and The Fairly OddParents episodes rated TV-Y. One time after The SpongeBob Movie, I saw an episode rated TV-G (since after the movie there is like 15 minutes extra at the end and the movie itself is rated TV-G.

Dr.Pepper

Back in 2013, I saw a couple of SpongeBob and The Fairly OddParents episodes rated TV-Y. One time after The SpongeBob Movie, I saw an episode rated TV-G (since after the movie there is like 15 minutes extra at the end and the movie itself is rated TV-G.
I know that SpongeBob and FOP were rated TV-Y at first. I’m not sure when it moved to TV-Y7.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now

Featured Posts