What if Anime aired on American primetime tv?

Rhaynebow

Although the chances are near nigh, wouldn't it have been interesting if the big 3-4 primetime networks like ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX aired anime? What kinds of shows do you guys think would flourish with the general public? Would they flourish at all or just been seen as an insult to cartoons for not being family-friendly? Would you guys be for anime becoming more mainstream or would you rather anime stay in a comfortable niche?

Personally, I think the seinen and josei stuff would work best since they tend to feature adult characters. I don't think the 18-34 year olds would like to see sailor suits and student council-stories.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Although the chances are near nigh, wouldn't it have been interesting if the big 3-4 primetime networks like ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX aired anime? What kinds of shows do you guys think would flourish with the general public? Would they flourish at all or just been seen as an insult to cartoons for not being family-friendly? Would you guys be for anime becoming more mainstream or would you rather anime stay in a comfortable niche?

Personally, I think the seinen and josei stuff would work best since they tend to feature adult characters. I don't think the 18-34 year olds would like to see sailor suits and student council-stories.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it would flourish then we would see more anime that appeals to a western demographic instead of it being harem shows

Gatordragon

Learning and Animating
Hmm, I guess that would be pretty cool. At least we'll won't have to stay up late at night to watch some on TV. Maybe we'll get some more interesting anime out of it.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
The CW finally would have some competition in the category of lowest rated major broadcaster networks.

Which reminds me, I'm kind of surprised they never aired Supernatural: The Animation.

Domayv

awesome sounding that is, I just can't see it happening. Not now, now later. Anime on primetime will suffer the double whammy of the Animation Age Ghetto (it's animated and therefore for kids so we should not take it seriously, and many anime tend to be serious (this is what doomed Invasion America. it was a serious drama yet it was animated so no one wanted to watch it)) and the All Adult Animation is South Park (if the animation is aimed at older audiences it has to be a raunchy shock comedy to be successful, but because this is not raunchy shock comedy we would not watch it).

I see a daytime/sunset (like 4-6 PM pacific time) anime block happening on something like Cartoon Network (it has the most lax standards of censorship for a kids channel, as many of its shows are TV-PG rated) or Encore Action, IFC (not sure about that one since they began airing commercials, leading to some of their shows, like The Whitest Kids U' Know being censored because airing it with all the expletives and nudity intact would provoke the wrath of the PTC (#fuckPTC)), Encore Family and Starz Edge getting back anime to be more likely than anime coming to primetime. Also, would you realize how much censorship they would be subject to on broadcast TV?

That was an epic question I'd watch classic toonami or fox kids anime again but prime-time wouldn't work I'd watch uncensored toonami on 24 hour channel adult swim if it happens

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Found this from Reddit. Had to trim the original a bit. And yeah the guy in the 2nd half of this is the new Sokka actor.
20 years ago today, Apple released Mac OS 9.2.2, the very last version of their classic operating system. It would be available on computers as late as mid-2003, whilst Mac OS X (now macOS) up to 10.4.11 had Classic Environment for computers released before the Intel switch in 2006.
Asa
Today would've been the 120th birthday of Walt Disney.
Man I love how progressively insane Jojo gets

Featured Posts