What video games did you play this week?

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Super Double Dragon was re-released on the three platforms yesterday. Definitely worth a buy. Not only do you get the original SDD, but the Japanese version Return of Double Dragon, which has some music differences and a couple extra level segments. But the major reason it's worth buying is, you can adjust the game speed! Yes, one major reason why SDD was a letdown was how it felt like the game played in slow motion. Well no more! You can make it up to 2x faster. I compromised at 1.5x speed and that made such a huge difference, and it felt like the controls were more responsive.

Other than that, I finished Super Mario Wonder but MK1 got more Invasions content, so I guess I'll start on that again.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
11/13/23:

New Releases this week:

narutoxboruto.jpg

Naruto X Boruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Connections
(coming to Playstation 4 and 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and S, Nintendo Switch, and PC)

supermariorpg.jpg

Super Mario RPG
(coming to Nintendo Switch)

So what have you played this week?!?

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Had issues last week with posting attachments (aka the pics of the video games), but I eventually figured out the work around (just involves posting the image by URL), but by that point....well, just figured I'd take last week off.

Is "Super Mario RPG" that last big Nintendo release for this year? I plan on picking it up eventually. I had a Super Nintendo, but was pretty much done playing it by 1995, so I never got around to owning or playing this one (which came out in 1996). It was a period of transition for my life (in college by that point, where the only gaming I did for a while was on a friend's original Playstation or on another friend's Sega Saturn).

So, long story short, I'm hyped to play this game! (eventually, will probably wait a few months).

Beyond that, figured I'd also give a shout out to "Naruto X Baruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Connections". I personally like these type of anime tie-in video games (though I tend to stick to the Dragon Ball games).

the_joker

I'm still playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild as well as a side of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. For the former, I feel like trying to find all the shrines. So far, I found just over 110 of them, but there's supposedly 136 total including the ones from the DLC (which I bought). Even if I do the DLC shrines, I'll still be missing more than a few of them, and I feel like I've looked everywhere I could, so I would need to look up a guide to find whatever I'm missing.

I have to give props to BotW for the presentation of its world. I'll mostly find shrines or Korok Seeds, and the land can look rather barren at times (due to the setting being post-apocalyptic), but that doesn't stop me from being curious about what might be over there and then getting a pretty nice view of Hyrule at the very least even if I end up finding nothing.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Been buying a few Xbox 360-exclusive games lately because the 360 store is closing next year, so I got Call of Duty Classic and Street Fighter X Tekken and have been playing those. Also, even though I already own it for PS3, I got Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing too, because it contains 360 exclusive characters (Avatar; Banjo/Kazooie).

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
11/20/23:

New Releases this week:

jurassicparkcollection.jpeg

Jurassic Park: Classic Games Collection
(coming to Playstation 4 and 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and S, Nintendo Switch, and PC)

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
There......is nothing coming out this week (probably because it's Thanksgiving week in the U.S.A).

The only game I could find that's coming out this week is "Jurassic Park: Classic Games Collection".

The Jurassic Park Classic Games Collection includes:
Jurassic Park (NES, Game Boy, and SNES)
Jurassic Park Part 2: The Chaos Continues (Game Boy and SNES)

Well, that's....something. Good for the 90's nostalgia, I suppose.

EDIT: Hmm, this updated trailer released 6 days ago shows they're tossing in the Sega Genesis games as well. So, that's cool.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
^ I intend to buy that eventually, though I'm not happy that it's $30. I feel like classic game compilations on digital shouldn't be more than $20 tops, unless it contains a ton of them like Capcom Arcade Stadium.

Anyway, I played through Metal Gear Solid 2 yet again as part of the recently released MGS Collection. Had a complete time of about 3 hrs. 30 min., which has to be a record for me (I skipped all the cutscenes/codec dialogues, which probably helped). I still contend that's the best MGS game of the first three, and in some ways was very much ahead of its time in the themes it presented. But even besides that, it's just more fun to run around and pull off maneuvers that you couldn't do in the first MGS.

Also bought Redout 2 as part of the PSN sale, though I have yet to play it and won't be able to until after Thanksgiving break.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
^ I intend to buy that eventually, though I'm not happy that it's $30. I feel like classic game compilations on digital shouldn't be more than $20 tops, unless it contains a ton of them like Capcom Arcade Stadium.

I find those collections tend to go on sale frequently. I'd wait a while. I usually wait till they're below $20 before I buy them. I do love retro collections. I've bought stuff like the Castlevania, Mega Man, and Street Fighter II collections. I want to buy the Ninja Turtles "Cowabunga Collection" next.

Lately I've been playing....well, a little of this, little of that.

Still tinkering with "Assassin's Creed II".
Still finishing up some last chapters in "Road 96".
Been playing the final wave of DLC for "Mario Kart 8" on the Switch, with the kids.

And I started playing "The Messenger", which is turning out to be all sorts of retro fun:

the_joker

It seems BotW only counts shrines in the main game with its shrine counter (120), and I actually stumbled into a few more by accident, so I don't have as many unknown shrines to find as I thought. I'll still need a guide for the missing ones, though.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
11/27/23:

New Releases this week:

Turok-3-Shadow-Of-Oblivion-Remastered-Logo-Art.jpg

Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion (remastered)

dragonquestmonsters.jpeg

Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince

khuddle

To say I've been pleasantly surprised by God of War: Ragnarok is one heck of an understatement. I've been blown away by it.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like the GOW 2018 reboot. It was ugly, and they forced you to switch from the axe to blades halfway through, which I thought was annoying.

But next to GOW: Ragnarok, the 2018 reboot looks like some cheesy DLC. Ragnarok is astounding. The combat is some of the best I've ever experienced on a Playstation game, with so many options, weapons, skills, perks, combos and possibilities generally. The visuals and the environments are gorgeous bordering on breathtaking. Simply put, I haven't been this immersed in a fantasy type game since Skyrim (Ragnarok blows Witcher 3 away).

The only sin of the game is the one committed by Rockstar with Red Dead Redemption 2: in addition to being a video game, Ragnarok also wants to be a movie too. They try to get you to care about the increasingly complex relationships between the various characters, like Kratos and Atreus, or Kratos and Freya, and they just fail miserably. Santa Monica Studios, I'm here to play a game, not watch some some third rate soap opera. Anyway, there's an option to skip through the cutscenes, so you can get back to exciting gameplay.

Top 10 all time Playstation game for me, its that good.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I recently started playing the original "Dragon's Dogma", a recent addition to the "Playstation Plus Extra" catalog of games. I'm early into the game, and I can tell the story isn't the focus here, it's more the combat. This is a Capcom game, released back in 2012 (in that period where Capcom was struggling - the period before "Monster Hunter World" and "Resident Evil 7" exploded them back into populairty). and they were obviously trying to follow in the footsteps of "Skyrim" with the fantasy world presented here.

I'm enjoying it still (Capcom's combat systems are still great), and it makes for good prep for the just announced "Dragon's Dogma 2". I like that they're not giving up on the franchise and are returning to it, now that theyu're the Capcom of the last 7 or so years, not the Capcom of 2008 to 2012.

Last edited:

the_joker

I recently started playing the original "Dragon's Dogma", a recent addition to the "Playstation Plus Extra" catalog of games. I'm early into the game, and I can tell the story isn't the focus here, it's more the combat. This is a Capcom game, released back in 2012 (in that period where Capcom was struggling - the period before "Monster Hunter World" and "Resident Evil 7" exploded them back into populairty). and they were obviously trying to follow in the footsteps of "Skyrim" with the fantasy world presented here.

I'm enjoying it still (Capcom's combat systems are still great), and it makes for good prep for the just announced "Dragon's Dogma 2". I like that they're not giving up on the franchise and are returning to it, now that theyu're the Capcom of the last 7 or so years, not the Capcom of 2008 to 2012.
Could Dragon's Dogma really have been made in response to Skyrim? It released about 6 months after, so unless Capcom rushed production, I'm not sure about that idea. I know there's always gameplay footage right before a game comes out, so I guess Dragon's Dogma was made during the announcement of Skyrim? Too bad I don't know my gaming history as I wasn't playing on home console during that time period.

It's almost unreal that Dragon's Dogma II is coming out before Elder Scrolls VI, and too bad ESVI won't be on PS5. That won't stop me from hoping, but what a bummer. I'm still interested in checking out Starfield, but I haven't figured out how I would want to play it. Still hoping for a very late port of that game to PS5 even though that's also more than unlikely.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Could Dragon's Dogma really have been made in response to Skyrim? It released about 6 months after, so unless Capcom rushed production, I'm not sure about that idea. I know there's always gameplay footage right before a game comes out, so I guess Dragon's Dogma was made during the announcement of Skyrim? Too bad I don't know my gaming history as I wasn't playing on home console during that time period.

6 months later? I guess that means that it likely didn't have any influence on "Dragon's Dogma". I thought it came out a year (or longer) after Skyrim and that the marketing really made it come across as a Skyrim clone.

Or maybe that's just the narrative some websites pushed. Here's an article from a couple years ago that does compare "Skyrim" to "Dragon's Dogma":

So....maybe it's more that the two get compared a lot due to how close they were in getting published.

It's almost unreal that Dragon's Dogma II is coming out before Elder Scrolls VI, and too bad ESVI won't be on PS5. That won't stop me from hoping, but what a bummer. I'm still interested in checking out Starfield, but I haven't figured out how I would want to play it. Still hoping for a very late port of that game to PS5 even though that's also more than unlikely.

Yeah, I'm not expecting "Starfield" to ever show up on PS5.

I'm just....going to have to break down and get an Xbox Series X at some point. Or maybe just "go cheap" and get the Xbox Series S.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
12/04/23:

New Releases this week:

6-1-852443-52.jpg

A Highland Song

(coming to Playstation 5, Xbox Series X and S, and PC)

the_joker

So....maybe it's more that the two get compared a lot due to how close they were in getting published.
There's no doubt their close release dates would have garnered comparisons. And if there was enough excitement for Skyrim even during the early stages, that might have been enough to inspire Dragon's Dogma. I mean, Elder Scrolls VI has yet to even release, all we have is a minor teaser for it, and I'm pretty sure there are a number of people looking forward to playing it at some point (such as myself even though I don't have an Xbox Series XS or a gaming computer). I don't know if some would have even considered The Witcher III, BotW/ToTK, or even Elden Ring to somewhat fill the void until it arrives.

Yeah, I'm not expecting "Starfield" to ever show up on PS5.

I'm just....going to have to break down and get an Xbox Series X at some point. Or maybe just "go cheap" and get the Xbox Series S.
I might have to do the same as it would be cheaper than getting a good gaming computer, though I haven't figured out how I would want to approach it. Is it really worth getting a console just to play a few games? Maybe I would have to look into other Xbox exclusives. Then again, I did enjoy playing Skyrim too much, so maybe that's a yes if ESVI turns out as well as I hope.

Also, to answer the question of this thread, I'm almost done with BotW. I'm thinking of playing Devil May Cry 5 afterward.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter

the_joker

@wonderfly

Oh yeah, I'd like to share a few tips with Dragon's Dogma. I know we generally like to see and experience something for ourselves and then get surprised in a good and fun way, but I'll explain myself a little later.

If you decide to make your pawn a mage or sorcerer, some of their offensive spells are not worth upgrading. When casting your own spells, you can choose which level to cast, but pawns will always go for the highest level available to them and thus take longer to cast a spell. They can even cancel a spell completely, and then they'll have to restart. You can't fix this, as in you can't choose which spell your pawn will be able to cast, so be wary of upgrading some spells. It's a pretty annoying flaw to me, and I'm hoping the sequel will fix this. Thankfully, I learned about this soon enough, but I would say there were one or two spells I would have liked to remove from my pawn. I probably would've hated finding out too late, and I wouldn't want you to be disappointed at seeing your magical pawn perform poorly.

I personally recommend against upgrading these spells for your pawn: Comestion, Frigor (supposedly, High could be fine, which is what mine had, but - again - there's no way to experiment), and all Sorcerer spells except for Fulmination and Miasma.

Supposedly, you also shouldn't give your pawn Magick Agent so they could cast Focused Bolt more often, but I don't know how true that is. However, I have seen my own pawn cast the former to no use too often, so I'm willing to believe that claim.

Feel free to read more online. The game even has its own detailed wiki.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I appreciate the tips! I haven't been able to get too far into it yet, but it's one that I'm intrigued by (I even want to get the sequel now, coming out next year)!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Well dang. Grey DeLisle was originally scheduled to be doing a free gig this coming Saturday here in Phoenix, but she's no longer listed on the bill. I guess she had to back out. I was going to go because I love her music in addition to her VA work, but not anymore. I'm glad I didn't make a reservation.
Man, I wish I got paid for every time someone on this forum said they believed that Warner Brothers Discovery was going to ax, erase or sell off the Looney Tunes franchise. I could retire tomorrow.
Why do so many adults with no kids get so hopping mad about the existence of preschool shows and blocks? "Grr! I hate Cartoonito and Mickey Mouse Fun House! How dare they make preschool shows!" I don't get it.
Did the forum drop the swear rule? I've seen serious high tier swears and adult terms.
Just 10 more days until part 2 of Invincible's second season. Let's go!!!

Featured Posts