What WarnerMedia is going to with Discovery Family after the 2022 merger?

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
A while ago, Discovery announced that they're going to be merging with WarnerMedia in 2022. I already said my opinions on it in other threads ago, and I still think it could be interesting on what Discovery plans are for WarnerMedia, considering that they want strengthen HBO Max and Discovery Plus now more than ever.

With that said though, that got me thinking for a long while, what WarnerMedia is going to do with Discovery Family after the 2022 Warner-Discovery merger?

That's a question has been going on my mind lately that lead me to four explanations:

1. We already got Cartoon Network and Boomerang. Cartoon Network is gearing up with their new rebrand and Cartoonito. On top of that, CN is now going to be having blocks that geared towards preschoolers, families, and girls. While Boomerang is still Cartoon Network 2, but at least they had some relevance with Warner properties at their disposal. So I find it very odd that Warner is going to have Discovery Family when CN was going to do the similar thing as DF(but better).

2. With Hasbro out of the question, I'm not 100% sure if WarnerMedia is fully confident on Discovery Family since they hasn't been relevant for a long time and they barely have any new content. Just MLP reruns and cheap reality shows.

3. There's no other family channels in the U.S right now. Back in the day, there use to be a lot of family channels on cable like Odyssey, Fox Family/ABC Family, and The Hub, but now all of them are gone because they couldn't stand a chance against the big three kids networks and streaming has becoming very popular with families, leading cable TV to it's downfall. Sure, some may argue there was Hallmark and Freeform as current "family" channels, but the more I look into their content, and the more I think about it, that's not really the case at all. So Discovery Family is the ONLY channel in the U.S right now that aired and produced family-friendly content, unlike their competitors. Such a shame that we don't see that now, but you know, it is what it is.

4. Not a lot of people had Discovery Family, so it's gonna be a tough sell for WarnerMedia to actually do something with it, unless they tried to revitalized it and make it into basic cable, but I seriously doubt it.

However, with Tom Aschiem working at CN right now with their Redraw Your World branding and Cartoonito, if the merger goes through, it could see a possibility that Tom will take over Discovery Family as well (if Discovery sell off their assets to Warner).

Think about it. Warner Bros will not only have Cartoon Network, Boomerang, and Adult Swim, but also Cartoonito and Discovery Family.

It really does makes me wonder about the possibilities of WarnerMedia handling Discovery Family. I really hope it turns out for better because there's no other family channel on cable right now, and considering Discovery's relationship with Hasbro at this point, they had nowhere to go but up.

Let me know what do you guys think?

Markus Nelis

Add some shows that CN doesn't want. They're getting Cocomelon for an example

One more thing I need to say: Or they shut it down. No point to keep the channel since CN is at least more alive currently than DF.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Add some shows that CN doesn't want. They're getting Cocomelon for an example

One more thing I need to say: Or they shut it down. No point to keep the channel since CN is at least more alive currently than DF.
Or make some new original shows that were exclusive to DF or some HBO Max content as well. I'm not sure about Cocomelon though since Universal Kids is going to aired that soon.

Honestly, I think shutting down is a overrated decision. It may be lost it relevance, but that doesn't mean they can't revitalized it. I can see Warner can do something new with it and help the channel rather than hurting it like having programming blocks.

Moe

There are several options

1) WarnerMedia and Discovery may sell Discovery Family to other companies.

2) Discovery Family could be used to rebrand as 24/7 Cartoonito, spare Boomerang from rebranding and increase the survivability of this channel.

3) They could rebrand Discovery Family to one of adult channels.

4) They could let Discovery Family running without any changes.

5) Shut Discovery Family down.

I do think that impact may not felt until few years later instead of 2022.

Shut the channel down isn't imminent and it will take years to make happen - depending on stability of cable companies and IPTV (AT&T, Hulu, Sling).

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
1) WarnerMedia and Discovery may sell Discovery Family to other companies.
I wouldn't doubt it.

2) Discovery Family could be used to rebrand as 24/7 Cartoonito, spare Boomerang from rebranding and increase the survivability of this channel.
I don't know. Can't they rerun family movies and old sitcoms, too?

3) They could rebrand Discovery Family to one of adult channels.
No, I think Hallmark already got that.

4) They could let Discovery Family running without any changes.
Yeah, I can see that, but they produced more original content and new animation stuff, too?
5) Shut Discovery Family down.
I really doubt it.

I do think that impact may not felt until few years later instead of 2022
Sure.

Shut the channel down isn't imminent and it will take years to make happen - depending on stability of cable companies and IPTV (AT&T, Hulu, Sling).
Yeah, I agree.

Moe

I don't know. Can't they rerun family movies and old sitcoms, too?
If it is 24/7 Cartoonito, it would be 24/7 of preschool shows like Disney Junior and Nick Jr.

No, I think Hallmark already got that.
I means rebrand as expansion of TNT, TBS, TruTV and similar Turner channels, return classic TruTV with criminal justice shows and reality shows like towing shows. It may be retro channels to re-run classic WB shows and pre-1986 MGM shows like CHiPs.

Honest with you, I never like Hallmark channels lol.

Yeah, I can see that, but they produced more original content and new animation stuff, too?
Maybe if Hasbro is interested and it is possible to re-run without any new contents.

I really doubt it.
but it isn't imminent and it means WarnerMedia and Discovery would make a radical move if happens. NBCUniversal killed couple of networks few years ago.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
If it is 24/7 Cartoonito, it would be 24/7 of preschool shows like Disney Junior and Nick Jr.
True, but to be fair, at least Nick and Disney had years of experience of preschool content years before CN, and they became hugely successful. CN tried that with Tickle U, but it was way too late and they failed miserably. So I wouldn't put past them to do this again with a 24/7 Cartoonito channel, but who knows?

I means rebrand as expansion of TNT, TBS, TruTV and similar Turner channels, return classic TruTV with criminal justice shows and reality shows like towing shows. It may be retro channels to re-run classic WB shows and pre-1986 MGM shows like CHiPs.

Honest with you, I never like Hallmark channels lol.
Hmm. I guess so, but I would like to have a good mix between old family sitcoms and old cartoons and new and original animation. Plus, good branding.

Yeah, I never like them either lol.
Maybe if Hasbro is interested and it is possible to re-run without any new contents.
Maybe, but I doubt Hasbro even cares now since they moved their content to other streaming services.

but it isn't imminent and it means WarnerMedia and Discovery would make a radical move if happens. NBCUniversal killed couple of networks few years ago.
Okay, that's fair.

Also, what kind of programming blocks would you like have for WarnerMedia's Discovery Family?

Moe

True, but to be fair, at least Nick and Disney had years of experience of preschool content years before CN, and they became hugely successful. CN tried that with Tickle U, but it was way too late and they failed miserably. So I wouldn't put past them to do this again with a 24/7 Cartoonito channel, but who knows?
I thought CN did a bad job with preschool shows that lead to failure.

CN seems used European playbook to try with Cartoonito to see if it will be successful or not.

There is scenario if Cartoonito fails, CN likely to put limited preschool shows, especially popular IP like Looney Tunes, DC, H-B and Tom and Jerry characters on CN in the morning.

Other scenario - Noggin/The N style - 12 hours of Cartoonito and 12 hours of CN/Boomerang/Discovery (Discovery - cake shows)

Hmm. I guess so, but I would like to have a good mix between old family sitcoms and old cartoons and new and original animation. Plus, good branding.
Yes, great idea for sure and game shows too.

Maybe, but I doubt Hasbro even cares now since they moved their content to other streaming services.
Right, it will be a channel with all re-run shows.

Also, what kind of programming blocks would you like have for WarnerMedia's Discovery Family?
Looney Tunes block and H-B Block - that is my dream and it will give Boomerang more room to expand the programming, or it could be opposite - Discovery Family is for 90s, 00s, 10s CN shows and Boomerang is for classic shows (50s to 90s) and all of iconic WB IP.

WarnerMedia and Discovery could rebrand Discovery Family as 24/7 Adult Swim and I would be surprised if happened.

Last edited:

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
There is scenario if Cartoonito fails, CN likely to put limited preschool shows, especially popular IP like Looney Tunes, DC, H-B and Tom and Jerry characters on CN in the morning.

Other scenario - Noggin/The N style - 12 hours of Cartoonito and 12 hours of CN/Boomerang/Discovery (Discovery - cake shows)
Well, there's HBO Max as their backup.

Yeah, I can defiantly see that. With Tom Ashciem at the helm, I'm sure he can pull it off very well.

Yes, great idea for sure and game shows too.
Yeah, I would that, too.

Right, it will be a channel with all re-run shows.
As long there's old sitcoms that used to aired on The Hub, I'll be okay.

Looney Tunes block and H-B Block - that is my dream and it will give Boomerang more room to expand the programming, or it could be opposite - Discovery Family is for 90s, 00s, 10s CN shows and Boomerang is for classic shows (50s to 90s) and all of iconic WB IP.
That would be a good idea. The Hub used to aired WB Animation shows from the 90's, so why not go all out?

With me, I would like to have a movie block, a primetime block, a preschool block, a Saturday morning block, a Friday night block, a Nick at Nite type block, and a action block.

WarnerMedia and Discovery could rebrand Discovery Family as 24/7 Adult Swim and I would be surprised if happened.
I don't think that's gonna happen since Adult Swim was fine as it is.

What do you think will be a good name for WarnerMedia's Discovery Family? I think it will be either Kids WB, Family WB, The WB, or something else.

Moe

Well, there's HBO Max as their backup.

Yeah, I can defiantly see that. With Tom Ashciem at the helm, I'm sure he can pull it off very well.
I can see now.

As long there's old sitcoms that used to aired on The Hub, I'll be okay.
What name of sitcoms that aired on The Hub?

That would be a good idea. The Hub used to aired WB Animation shows from the 90's, so why not go all out?
Oh wow, I should missed this out. I was too busy with job at Walmart and college at that time.

Do you miss The Hub?

With me, I would like to have a movie block, a primetime block, a preschool block, a Saturday morning block, a Friday night block, a Nick at Nite type block, and a action block.
Great idea!

I don't think that's gonna happen since Adult Swim was fine as it is.
Ok, some fans want to have 24/7 Adult Swim. It is possible if WB and Discovery have Pluto-style channels.

What do you think will be a good name for WarnerMedia's Discovery Family? I think it will be either Kids WB, Family WB, The WB, or something else.
Kids' WB is preferred name for sure. Retro CN if they want to air all shows that aired on CN in 90s and WB After Dark for all family friendly classic shows, including sitcoms.

Vault CN/WB may be used.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
I can see now.
Definitely.

Also, it' funny because, around several months ago, I made this little drawing on how The Hub and Discovery Family can get the Noggin and The N treatment.
Hub Family Concept.jpg

What name of sitcoms that aired on The Hub?
Oh, let's see. Um, Doogie Howser M.D, Family Ties, Sabrina The Teenage Witch, Sister Sister, Blossom, Happy Days, Mork and Mindy, Laverne and Sherley, ALF, Lois and Clark, The Wonder Years, Step by Step, and Honey, I Shrunk The Kids The TV Show.

Do you miss The Hub?
YES!!! YES!! A million times Yes! I missed The Hub SOOOOOO much! There no other kids networks during that time could replicate it, in my opinion. Everything from the branding, the variety, the creativity, everything about it was just perfect. I was so lucky to watch it when it premiered in 2010 and I was so excited.

But man, when The Hub was gone, I was furious. I mean, I understand the issues behind the scenes leading to the network's downfall, but come on?! Can't they just keep The Hub name (and shows) instead of changing into Discovery Family?

It's unfortunate we are not gonna see like this again.

Ok, some fans want to have 24/7 Adult Swim. It is possible if WB and Discovery have Pluto-style channels.
Who knows, but fair enough.

Great idea!
Thank you.

Kids' WB is preferred name for sure. Retro CN if they want to air all shows that aired on CN in 90s and WB After Dark for all family friendly classic shows, including sitcoms.

Vault CN/WB may be used.
Okay, sure. It would be cool to see Kids WB come back. Though, it would be really interesting if WB After Dark called The WB, the former TV network. I thought it would be cool name for a nighttime block.

I did some research on The Hub recently. I found out they used to have a TV company called Hub Television Networks, LLC. On top of that, they use to had their trademarks, too. I wonder what happened to that? It's been almost a decade since it was abandoned after Discovery took over The Hub. Was The Hub trademark was owned by Discovery or they lost the rights to it or it was abandoned?

Personally, I would love for someone like WarnerMedia to get The Hub trademark back and utilized it. But I know, it's not gonna happen.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Move all the scripted content to CN and Boomerang, leaving DF to exclusively air unscripted content.

Markus Nelis

DF either

1) Gets shows CN isn't going to air.
2) It merges with Boomerang. WM/Discovery don't need 3 kids channels.
3) It shuts down for good.
4) They're basically CN 2.0 just like NickToons is Nick 2.0.

Moe

Also, it' funny because, around several months ago, I made this little drawing on how The Hub and Discovery Family can get the Noggin and The N treatment.
Awesome artwork. :cool:

Oh, let's see. Um, Doogie Howser M.D, Family Ties, Sabrina The Teenage Witch, Sister Sister, Blossom, Happy Days, Mork and Mindy, Laverne and Sherley, ALF, Lois and Clark, The Wonder Years, Step by Step, and Honey, I Shrunk The Kids The TV Show.
Oh wow, those were great series and shame on DF to abandoned those acquired programming.

We need more options to watch retro channels, so Pluto-style IPTV would be perfect.

YES!!! YES!! A million times Yes! I missed The Hub SOOOOOO much! There no other kids networks during that time could replicate it, in my opinion. Everything from the branding, the variety, the creativity, everything about it was just perfect. I was so lucky to watch it when it premiered in 2010 and I was so excited.

But man, when The Hub was gone, I was furious. I mean, I understand the issues behind the scenes leading to the network's downfall, but come on?! Can't they just keep The Hub name (and shows) instead of changing into Discovery Family?

It's unfortunate we are not gonna see like this again.
I just brought memory up and yes, I remember about watch The Hub in 2011 and 2012 and it was short time when DirecTV offer ultimate tier for free for short time. DirecTV put DF (The Hub) and Boomerang in expensive ultimate tier, also unlike Hulu, no HD option for Boomerang on DirecTV. We dumped DirecTV after switched to Spectrum and got a gold package at big discount until discount expired after 2 years. We went to Hulu Live TV and it was best option that we have but sadly, AMC and their sister channels are missing.

Yes, I can understand about you felt and I have same feeling with other channels.

Okay, sure. It would be cool to see Kids WB come back. Though, it would be really interesting if WB After Dark called The WB, the former TV network. I thought it would be cool name for a nighttime block.

I did some research on The Hub recently. I found out they used to have a TV company called Hub Television Networks, LLC. On top of that, they use to had their trademarks, too. I wonder what happened to that? It's been almost a decade since it was abandoned after Discovery took over The Hub. Was The Hub trademark was owned by Discovery or they lost the rights to it or it was abandoned?

Personally, I would love for someone like WarnerMedia to get The Hub trademark back and utilized it. But I know, it's not gonna happen.
Yes, I had a great memories with Kids WB back in 90s when they aired Pokémon and WB shows. That was my primary channel to watch during weekday and weekend, alternating with Nick, CN, DC and Fox Kids.

Interesting about The Hub. Good question about Discovery own The Hub trademark? It would be Hasbro or Discovery own The Hub, and if neither use this trademark, so it means they likely to lose the trademark, I guess.

I do think that Hasbro was totally hopeless due to low viewership rate on The Hub, so they gave up. I want to know if channel with low viewership rate lead to lose a lot of money? I thought that acquired programming was cheap if no other competing channels aired those. 40,000-60,000 viewers are considered as normal for The Hub? If financial isn't issue so it means Hasbro or Discovery opt to be greedy.

Yes, I won't hold my breath to see WarnerMedia to reuse The Hub brand.

I think it is best interest to leave non-sporting channels alone and they can air all programming to audience that has no access to reliable broadband or don't know how or unwilling to use streaming service, especially elderly viewers. The cost would be cheaper if there is little to no sports involved. Offer tax credit to networks to keep live channels running would be great option, IMO.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
1) Gets shows CN isn't going to air.
Can you give me some examples?

2) It merges with Boomerang. WM/Discovery don't need 3 kids channels.
What do you mean by that?

4) They're basically CN 2.0 just like NickToons is Nick 2.0.
To be fair, Boomerang was already becoming Cartoon Network 2 due to it's current branding.

Awesome artwork. :cool:
Awww thank you so much.

Oh wow, those were great series and shame on DF to abandoned those acquired programming.

We need more options to watch retro channels, so Pluto-style IPTV would be perfect.
Yeah, one of the best thing about The Hub, besides the daytime shows, was their primetime shows. They had a great variety of quality retro primetime series from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. That's how I got introduced to The Wonder Years, Happy Days, and Adam West's Batman all because of The Hub.

It's really a shame that DF no longer airs them anymore. The last time DF aired a primetime series that came from The Hub was Blossom, and that was back in 2016.

It would've been nice if DF were to keep the off-network Hub sitcoms on their schedule for a long while to have some variety. Why they got rid of them is beyond me.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

I just brought memory up and yes, I remember about watch The Hub in 2011 and 2012 and it was short time when DirecTV offer ultimate tier for free for short time. DirecTV put DF (The Hub) and Boomerang in expensive ultimate tier, also unlike Hulu, no HD option for Boomerang on DirecTV. We dumped DirecTV after switched to Spectrum and got a gold package at big discount until discount expired after 2 years. We went to Hulu Live TV and it was best option that we have but sadly, AMC and their sister channels are missing.
That's interesting.

Yes, I can understand about you felt and I have same feeling with other channels.
Yeah, thanks.

Yes, I had a great memories with Kids WB back in 90s when they aired Pokémon and WB shows. That was my primary channel to watch during weekday and weekend, alternating with Nick, CN, DC and Fox Kids.
That's nice. As someone who never grew up with Saturday morning cartoon blocks, I think Kids WB is the best one when I was watching the promos and bumpers on YouTube.

Interesting about The Hub. Good question about Discovery own The Hub trademark? It would be Hasbro or Discovery own The Hub, and if neither use this trademark, so it means they likely to lose the trademark, I guess.
Well, Discovery owns 60% of DF, while Hasbro owns 40%. So I don't know who owns The Hub trademark.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they lost the rights to the trademark.

I do think that Hasbro was totally hopeless due to low viewership rate on The Hub, so they gave up. I want to know if channel with low viewership rate lead to lose a lot of money? I thought that acquired programming was cheap if no other competing channels aired those. 40,000-60,000 viewers are considered as normal for The Hub? If financial isn't issue so it means Hasbro or Discovery opt to be greedy.
Well, here's 3 things as to why The Hub didn't took off and got less viewership:

1. Lack of availability. Not a lot people don't have The Hub since it was on digital premium tier as opposed to basic cable. Thus, it got less viewership. For fans of MLP, they had to rely on YouTube and Dailymotion reuploads to support the show because The Hub was not available around the world at the time. If it was on basic cable, I'm sure it'll fare better.

2. Lack of advertising. Mattel and Lego are just as big as Hasbro, when it comes to toy advertising. When they saw The Hub, they backed away from it because the channel was co-owned by their major rival. That's why Hasbro loss so much money from The Hub.

3. Competition. Similar to Fox Family, The Hub sadly couldn't stand a chance against the big three kids networks. On top of that, streaming and internet becoming a lot more popular than cable TV. Thus, leaving the final nail in the coffin for poor Hub.

If you want more information, here's the link of this article.

Yes, I won't hold my breath to see WarnerMedia to reuse The Hub brand.
Yeah, me too.

I think it is best interest to leave non-sporting channels alone and they can air all programming to audience that has no access to reliable broadband or don't know how or unwilling to use streaming service, especially elderly viewers. The cost would be cheaper if there is little to no sports involved. Offer tax credit to networks to keep live channels running would be great option, IMO.
Yeah, I can see what you mean.

Moe

To be fair, Boomerang was already becoming Cartoon Network 2 due to it's current branding.
I agree, New Boomerang isn't same as Old Boomerang that aired H-B shows other than Scooby-Doo and Smurfs, exception of Thanksgiving's week that they aired classic H-B shows.

It would've been nice if DF were to keep the off-network Hub sitcoms on their schedule for a long while to have some variety. Why they got rid of them is beyond me.
Yes, I'm surprised that DF abandoned acquired sitcoms and they can help with rating like Nick@Nite and TV Land did.

That's nice. As someone who never grew up with Saturday morning cartoon blocks, I think Kids WB is the best one when I was watching the promos and bumpers on YouTube.
Yes, I was child at time when Saturday morning cartoons peaked in 1990s, prior to Clinton Admin tightened up the E/I regulation. NBC exited Saturday morning cartoons in 1992 and CBS followed in 1997 before revived to re-run of Nick Jr and Nick programming. CBS was famous for Muppet Babies, TMNT and Garfield when I was toddler. Kids WB launched when I was 7 years old and it was time when Nick aired brand new Nicktoon shows, LT and kid games, CN re-run all of H-B shows, LT, Popeyes and Tom and Jerry with very little original series and premium version of Disney Channel - it was huge difference when compared to today and preschool shows were mostly puppet shows and family shows in the afternoon/evening and movies at night at that time.

1990s was best decade for TV, at least for me and early millennial kids.

Well, Discovery owns 60% of DF, while Hasbro owns 40%. So I don't know who owns The Hub trademark.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they lost the rights to the trademark.
I learned that if trademark isn't used with 3 years so it is abandoned. If Discovery and Hasbro didn't use The Hub after 3 years so it is officially abandoned by 2017. Anyone can use The Hub if it isn't trademarked by other companies.

Well, here's 3 things as to why The Hub didn't took off and got less viewership:

1. Lack of availability. Not a lot people don't have The Hub since it was on digital premium tier as opposed to basic cable. Thus, it got less viewership. For fans of MLP, they had to rely on YouTube and Dailymotion reuploads to support the show because The Hub was not available around the world at the time. If it was on basic cable, I'm sure it'll fare better.

2. Lack of advertising. Mattel and Lego are just as big as Hasbro, when it comes to toy advertising. When they saw The Hub, they backed away from it because the channel was co-owned by their major rival. That's why Hasbro loss so much money from The Hub.

3. Competition. Similar to Fox Family, The Hub sadly couldn't stand a chance against the big three kids networks. On top of that, streaming and internet becoming a lot more popular than cable TV. Thus, leaving the final nail in the coffin for poor Hub.

If you want more information, here's the link of this article.
Yes, I understand now.

I absolutely hate to see TV packages with multiple tiers and I rather to have one package without separated by tiers, along with offer to add premium channels.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts