What WarnerMedia is going to with Discovery Family after the 2022 merger?

Moe

Other than that, I change my mind. I'll go with TV Land being the best version of The Hub right now, in terms of airing old and new primetime reruns and great bumpers.
There is problem - they run shows by marathon rather than diverse of different shows that was common in 90s and 2000s.

I know it's a bit off topic, but to answer the main topic question upon reflection? I don't think WarnerMedia is going to change Discovery Family anytime soon since the company is focusing on making content and blocks for Cartoon Network and HBO Max now than something like Discovery Family and Boomerang, even if they merged.

Discovery Family is not relevant anymore and the channel is completely dead to me. Same thing with Boomerang. I apologize for keep beating a dead horse. For now on, I'm just gonna move on.
Funny, there are members with two different beliefs.

Some members don't think that Boomerang will be shut down because rating is stable.

Some members think that Boomerang will be shut down and absorbed into HBO Max.

I decided to back off about Boomerang, but WB could abandon and keep Boomerang for very long time, same goes with Discovery Family - all same contents, no change. I noticed that same LT/MM shorts air again and again.

It is apparent that AT&T-WB have no real strategy about handle with TV channels and buggy HBO Max. They haven't release new animated Tom and Jerry movie since 2017 before AT&T's acquisition of WB completed by court order. The Covid is going to make their businesses more complicated because not many willing go back to movie theaters, so WB need a lot of box office revenues to fund the multiple projects. AT&T didn't help because they are load with debt, so awful, awful financial management.

Why AT&T and WB want to keep HBO live channels and HBO Max separated? That's not make any sense. Cinemax is useless too.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
WB could abandon and keep Boomerang for very long time, same goes with Discovery Family - all same contents, no change. I noticed that same LT/MM shorts air again and again.

It is apparent that AT&T-WB have no real strategy about handle with TV channels and buggy HBO Max. They haven't release new animated Tom and Jerry movie since 2017 before AT&T's acquisition of WB completed by court order. The Covid is going to make their businesses more complicated because not many willing go back to movie theaters, so WB need a lot of box office revenues to fund the multiple projects. AT&T didn't help because they are load with debt, so awful, awful financial management.

Why AT&T and WB want to keep HBO live channels and HBO Max separated? That's not make any sense. Cinemax is useless too.
AT&T are out of the picture; they divested their ownership of Warner Media, and they're officially out of the entertainment game now. AT&T TV is now DirecTV Stream. Nothing AT&T does is relevant to WB anymore.

If Joe Average Viewer could watch everything including the stuff that's exclusive to HBO Max on HBO's live channels, then nobody would subscribe to HBO Max, and Warner wants people subscribing to HBO Max.

I haven't had Skinemax in years, so I can't comment on that.

hobbyfan

People forget that there's also Discovery+, and that Discovery Communications isn't just Discovery Channel and Discovery Family.

If the merger between CN & DF actually goes through, WarnerMedia could also pick up the rest of the Discovery networks, and merge Discovery+ with HBO Max.

Like, can ya picture ex-Discovery Kids shows like Grossology, Kenny The Shark, Time Warp Trio, Strange Days at Blake Holsey High on HBO Max? I can.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
People forget that there's also Discovery+, and that Discovery Communications isn't just Discovery Channel and Discovery Family.

If the merger between CN & DF actually goes through, WarnerMedia could also pick up the rest of the Discovery networks, and merge Discovery+ with HBO Max.

Like, can ya picture ex-Discovery Kids shows like Grossology, Kenny The Shark, Time Warp Trio, Strange Days at Blake Holsey High on HBO Max? I can.
Grossology isn't owned by Discovery, it recently (before it shut down) aired on Qubo, Time Warp Trio is owned by WGBH-TV, not sure about Blake Holsey it was made by defunct Canadian company Firework. Kenny The Shark has been on Discovery Family on Demand so maybe that could.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
AT&T are out of the picture; they divested their ownership of Warner Media, and they're officially out of the entertainment game now. AT&T TV is now DirecTV Stream. Nothing AT&T does is relevant to WB anymore.
Yeah, it was probably for the best.

Moe

Yes but it isn't finalized until next year after regulator approve the deal for WarnerMedia to merge with Discovery, so it is usually take one year for acquisition to be finalized. AT&T already gave up on WB and we will not see any changes with WB until next year, beside new, upgraded HBO Max app that should fix many of bugs.

If Joe Average Viewer could watch everything including the stuff that's exclusive to HBO Max on HBO's live channels, then nobody would subscribe to HBO Max, and Warner wants people subscribing to HBO Max.
HBO subscribers usually have free access to HBO Max app and I can't think about whichever cable companies reject to offer HBO Max as free option for HBO subscribers. WarnerMedia is killing legacy HBO off, also they killed HBO channel on Apple TV last month. I'm wonder about what happen to HBO live channels? I hopefully they aren't abandoned and useless like Boomerang, DF and other channels, but still useful if you live in remote with limited to no internet access.

I haven't had Skinemax in years, so I can't comment on that.
Most of Cinemax original shows moved to HBO Max app but as for movies, they continue to come in and come out as part of rotation. I don't know why about Cinemax isn't consolidate into HBO Max as many of us expected last year.

Nothing is going to change until acquisition between WarnerMedia and Discovery are finalized, tho.

I don't think that full consolidate Discovery+ with HBO Max is likely but we may see a bundle offer like Disney did with Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+.

jokerbeans2091

discovery family had so much potential if they weren’t milking my little pony so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
discovery family had so much potential if they weren’t milking my little pony so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hasbro done this to themselves. They has been milking MLP to death way before Discovery Family came out. You can not seriously tell me The Hub was not guilty of doing this.

The reason why Discovery Family exist is because Hasbro realized they couldn't competing against the big three kids networks and Discovery had other priorities (and by other priorities, I meant focusing on reality shlock, per usual). So Hasbro decided to give the free reins to Discovery and took over the channel.

I mean, let's be honest. As much as we love The Hub, it did had a tons of problems. They milked MLP and LPS more than any other show as like their Spongebob and FOP. They relied too much on classic repeats rather than making new original primetime shows. They were in less homes than the big three kids networks. Since The Hub was co-owned by toy company, other toy companies from the likes of Mattel and Lego don't even want to near the The Hub due to fearing of propping up their competitor.

The Hub had a very promising start when it first came out, but once MLP become a huge success, Hasbro decided throw all of that into garbage and focus on MLP. Then again, Hasbro did had unrealistic expectations when creating The Hub to begin with since it does felt like ego-trip to pat themselves on the back just because Bayformers brings in big bucks for the company.

Anyways, I don't think Discovery Family had potential since it was dead right from the get-go and MLP is only show they had left since all of the Hub shows got cancelled before and after the rebrand. Whatever you love MLP or hate MLP(used to love MLP, but not anymore), it's Discovery Family's Teen Titans Go. It brings in big bucks for Hasbro and continues to put butts into seats for over a decade, even after the show was over 2 years ago. With that being gone, who's gonna watch Discovery Family for the time being? Cheap ass Discovery reruns? Get real. :rolleyes:

Hell, even after Hasbro bounced from Discovery later this year, Discovery Family was pretty much a ghost town.

Last edited:

RegularCapital

Staff member
Discovery Family will likely close. I could suggest that it (or Boomerang) can be turned into a semi-automated HBO Max Kids, Family and Young Adults linear premiere/preview channel with an option for viewers to access the service from the channel.

Most of the day it will air a free preview loop (with some older content), and then in the afternoon and evening air new shows, episodes, movies from HBO Max. Linear premieres still have an advantage in the fact that you can get a concentrated audience at one moment in time and also the social media aspect, also to appease the cable companies from cord-cutting as cable is one of HBO Max's main distribution avenues.

Last edited:

harry580

Discovery Family will likely close. I could suggest that it can be turned into a semi-automated HBO Max Kids, Family and Young Adults linear premiere/preview channel with an option for viewers to access the service from the channel.

Most of the day it will air a free preview loop (with some older content), and then in the afternoon and evening air new shows, episodes, movies from HBO Max. Linear premieres still have an advantage in the fact that you can get a concentrated audience at one moment in time and also the social media aspect.
becareful what you wish for, the HBO Max preview channel will not get launched at all like how HBO Max preview meant to replace audience network but never happened

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Discovery Family will likely close. I could suggest that it (or Boomerang) can be turned into a semi-automated HBO Max Kids, Family and Young Adults linear premiere/preview channel with an option for viewers to access the service from the channel.

Most of the day it will air a free preview loop (with some older content), and then in the afternoon and evening air new shows, episodes, movies from HBO Max. Linear premieres still have an advantage in the fact that you can get a concentrated audience at one moment in time and also the social media aspect, also to appease the cable companies from cord-cutting as cable is one of HBO Max's main distribution avenues.
That's not a bad idea, but how well such a channel would do overall would depend on it's availability. Another obstacle that The Hub had to face was that it was only available in a few cable/satellite packages and was only in a select number of homes. The Hub didn't even have a West Coast feed (neither does Discovery Family), so if you missed a premiere, you either had to wait for the episode to be available on The Hub's website or just wait for the episode to be rerun.

Another big obstacle that The Hub faced was that the channel was owned by Hasbro, a toy company. Because of this, other toy companies like Mattel and others avoided The Hub like the plague. They didn't want to run ads on a channel that was owned by one of their competitors, so The Hub had a hard time lining up sponsors, resulting in significant financial losses for the company. Hasbro had to cancel original 3rd party series such as Dan VS and The Aquabats Super Show because they couldn't afford to finance them anymore. And this led to The Hub relying heavily on older shows, which cost less to acquire.

Last edited:

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster

This seems like a very reasonable and realistic course. I could see Warner Discovery (or whatever they end up calling it) just transforming DiscFam into a Warner Discovery preview channel focusing on the kids' stuff during the early hours and the adults WB/Discovery content at night.

I speculated that maybe they could move Discovery Family's original content over to Boomerang (or Boomerang Online), but then I remembered that DiscFam doesn't have any original programming besides the Hasbro shows, and Hasbro's kind of doing its' own thing now. Even the Discovery shows that air on DiscFam are just hand-me-downs from other Discovery channels.

Streaker Prower

I think what would WarnerMedia do with Discovery Family after the 2022 merger, they would allow Discovery Family to plaster there logo over the Discovery Kids (Latin America) Logo on Airings of Doki on Cartoonito on Cartoon Network

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I think what would WarnerMedia do with Discovery Family after the 2022 merger, they would allow Discovery Family to plaster there logo over the Discovery Kids (Latin America) Logo on Airings of Doki on Cartoonito on Cartoon Network
I don't know. It's way too early to tell.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
That's assuming that there will still be a Discovery Family channel after the WB/Discovery merger is complete. I predict that DF will either be merged with Boomerang or simply shut down altogether.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I said this in the Discovery Buying Warner thread, but I can say it here too.

There's always the chance that Discovery Family continues as is with Discovery buying Warner , it's a rerun dumping channel and since DIY network is about to end (being replace with Magnolia network) and GAC being sold off they have programming they can just run on a loop on DF. Discovery doesn't seem to dislike networks that just sit there doing nothing but reruns all day like Destination America, Cooking Channel, Discovery Life (ironic) , Discovery Family, GAC (before it was sold to former Hallmark Channel guy), DIY network, AHC... so they might just status quo it until cable companies get tired of it.

Many of us are thinking they HAVE to do something with Discovery Family when they could just do nothing...

Though it would be fun they threw some CN shows on there once in a while or something.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts