What WarnerMedia is going to with Discovery Family after the 2022 merger?

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I said this in the Discovery Buying Warner thread, but I can say it here too.

There's always the chance that Discovery Family continues as is with Discovery buying Warner , it's a rerun dumping channel and since DIY network is about to end (being replace with Magnolia network) and GAC being sold off they have programming they can just run on a loop on DF. Discovery doesn't seem to dislike networks that just sit there doing nothing but reruns all day like Destination America, Cooking Channel, Discovery Life (ironic) , Discovery Family, GAC (before it was sold to former Hallmark Channel guy), DIY network, AHC... so they might just status quo it until cable companies get tired of it.

Many of us are thinking they HAVE to do something with Discovery Family when they could just do nothing...

Though it would be fun they threw some CN shows on there once in a while or something.
Just to clarify, Discovery is merging with Warner Bros. They're not purchasing the studio.

zeebre12

What do you think will happen with each Discovery/Warner Media channels? What channels will rebrand close? Could they sell off channels like they did with GAC?
TNT, TBS, TCM, CNN, CN and TruTV should stay as they are?
HLN- not sure as they already have true crime covered with ID
Cinemax channels- all close
HBO channels- reduction
Boomerang- not sure?
Discovery, Food Network, HGTV, Magnolia, OWN, Science, ID, Motor Trend, TLC, Animal Planet, Travel Channel stay as they are?
Discovery Life, Destination America, Cooking Channel, AHC and Discovery Family all close?
Could we get a rebrand of one of these to a 24/7 Adult Swim channel like in Canada?

Streaker Prower

As for the Hasbro Shows on Discovery Family, if Discovery Family becomes a 24/7 Adult Swim or Cartoonito Channel, I think Nickelodeon (And it’s Side Channels) should air them (Since Transformers is get a new Series on Nickelodeon, and Peppa Pig is on Nick Jr)

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
As for the Hasbro Shows on Discovery Family, if Discovery Family becomes a 24/7 Adult Swim or Cartoonito Channel,
Not gonna happen. I still don't get why people are still on that.

I think Nickelodeon (And it’s Side Channels) should air them (Since Transformers is get a new Series on Nickelodeon, and Peppa Pig is on Nick Jr)
Not gonna happen. Just because Transformers is gonna be on Nickelodeon in 2023, doesn't mean all Hasbro shows will follow suit after DF shuts down or "rebranded" since most Hasbro shows are on Netflix and Tubi.

Moe

if Discovery Family becomes a 24/7 Adult Swim
If Discovery-Warner went with this route, it will probably TruTV to be rebrand as 24/7 Adult Swim, but TruTV shows likely to air during daytime schedule and re-run of WB shows like Full House, Family Matters or to a lesser extent, CHiPs. Those are owned by WB, including pre-1986 MGM contents.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
if Discovery Family becomes a 24/7 Adult Swim or Cartoonito Channel
Neither scenario is likely to happen; like @JMTV Studios said, I don't get why people are still on that.

The US Cartoonito block is under a year old and doesn't have enough shows to run 24/7, [adult swim] can't and wouldn't run all day nor does Cartoon Network have any inclination to drop it from their nighttime schedule. Even in the unlikely event that Warner would want to ship [as] to another channel, there'd be no point in turning Discovery Family into [as]'s new home when TruTV is right there. Like @F150Dog mentioned, it would be just like the CN/[as] combo, only with the channel being TruTV until nightfall instead of CN.

THE most likely fate of Discovery Family is that Discovery will just leave the channel as it is, minus the Hasbro stuff. Warner Discovery could, theoretically (with big emphasis on theoretically) import some of the Boomerang era shows over to DiscFam to replace the Hasbro shows, but that would imply that Warner Discovery were to suddenly start caring about the channel post merger, so that scenario too, while possible, seems unlikely.

SpongieLoud

Bingo Bango!
What do you think will happen with each Discovery/Warner Media channels? What channels will rebrand close? Could they sell off channels like they did with GAC?
TNT, TBS, TCM, CNN, CN and TruTV should stay as they are?
HLN- not sure as they already have true crime covered with ID
Cinemax channels- all close
HBO channels- reduction
Boomerang- not sure?
Discovery, Food Network, HGTV, Magnolia, OWN, Science, ID, Motor Trend, TLC, Animal Planet, Travel Channel stay as they are?
Discovery Life, Destination America, Cooking Channel, AHC and Discovery Family all close?
Could we get a rebrand of one of these to a 24/7 Adult Swim channel like in Canada?
i feel like all of the current WB owned channels will stay but I do think Boomerang will likely merge with DF or closing down. HBO channels will probably stay, not sure about Cinemax. Most Discovery channels will stay intact but I can see low viewed channels like AHC, Destination America, and Discovery Life being consolidated.

Moe

The US Cartoonito block is under a year old and doesn't have enough shows to run 24/7
That's right and you may saw some members tried to use Latin America as example for Boomerang to be rebrand as 24/7 Cartoonito, but I'm not going to make a comparison between Latin America and the US due to different market.

[adult swim] can't and wouldn't run all day nor does Cartoon Network have any inclination to drop it from their nighttime schedule. Even in the unlikely event that Warner would want to ship [as] to another channel, there'd be no point in turning Discovery Family into [as]'s new home when TruTV is right there. Like @F150Dog mentioned, it would be just like the CN/[as] combo, only with the channel being TruTV until nightfall instead of CN.
I don't think that Adult Swim will be expand to 24/7, despite heavily requested for many years back in 2000s.

I believe that migrate to TruTV or TBS would be contingency plan in case if the Congress or FCC impose the ban on adult blocks in channels that are designated for young viewers. Some parents and PTC tried to lobby for this new rule but it was unsuccessful, however they did consider back in 2000s after Super Bowl controversy that energized PTC to push for regulation on cable channels. I know some parents blocked CN entirely due to Adult Swim that could have adverse affect on rating for Cartoonito and CN. I'm not sure if Discovery is going to push, but merger is going to be very interesting.

If Adult Swim disappears, it will be replaced with re-run of CN programming and possibly re-run of Boomerang programming like back in 1990s.

THE most likely fate of Discovery Family is that Discovery will just leave the channel as it is, minus the Hasbro stuff. Warner Discovery could, theoretically (with big emphasis on theoretically) import some of the Boomerang era shows over to DiscFam to replace the Hasbro shows, but that would imply that Warner Discovery were to suddenly start caring about the channel post merger, so that scenario too, while possible, seems unlikely.
Interesting, I have some thought about it.

MattTheDFFan

That's right and you may saw some members tried to use Latin America as example for Boomerang to be rebrand as 24/7 Cartoonito, but I'm not going to make a comparison between Latin America and the US due to different market.

I don't think that Adult Swim will be expand to 24/7, despite heavily requested for many years back in 2000s.

I believe that migrate to TruTV or TBS would be contingency plan in case if the Congress or FCC impose the ban on adult blocks in channels that are designated for young viewers. Some parents and PTC tried to lobby for this new rule but it was unsuccessful, however they did consider back in 2000s after Super Bowl controversy that energized PTC to push for regulation on cable channels. I know some parents blocked CN entirely due to Adult Swim that could have adverse affect on rating for Cartoonito and CN. I'm not sure if Discovery is going to push, but merger is going to be very interesting.

If Adult Swim disappears, it will be replaced with re-run of CN programming and possibly re-run of Boomerang programming like back in 1990s.

Interesting, I have some thought about it.
Just keep DF as is. It’s better than other networks…not counting Universal Kids, which is runner up

Moe

Just keep DF as is.
Yes but in best scenario, it would be all re-run of Discovery shows, so no Hasbro contents after Hasbro leaves.

It’s better than other networks…not counting Universal Kids, which is runner up
Well, it is your opinion but rating doesn't agree with you.

Nickelodeon - 335,000
Disney Junior - 258,000
Disney Channel - 233,000
Nick Jr. - 232,000
Cartoon Network - 201,000
Disney XD - 83,000
Boomerang - 77,000
Nicktoons - 67,000
Discovery Family - 43,000
TeenNick - 37,000
Universal Kids - 35,000

Let look at number of viewers and Discovery Family has 43,000 and it is very low number for Hasbro to maintain the business with Discovery Family, so Hasbro is done with DF for good as they went to streaming services and sometime, Nick for new Hasbro shows. Remember, TV channels are part of business and they need money to run, so they rely on ads and cable carriage for revenues. Have a channel with 43,000 viewers aren't going to help Hasbro to stay in business.

You're kidding, right?
Exactly, that how I felt too but it is his opinion.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
^^Exactly. I wasn't trying to be facetious, but the writing's on the wall: these days secondary channels like Nicktoons, Boomerang, Disney XD and Discovery Family are going the way of the dodo bird, and while people are allowed to prefer whatever they choose, the hard truth is that DiscFam and Universal Kids are two of the lowest rated channels on the dial currently, so hitching your wagon to them is akin to jumping aboard the Titanic.

Last edited:

MattTheDFFan

You're kidding, right?
Nope

^^Exactly. I wasn't trying to be facetious, but the writing's on the wall: these days secondary channels like Nicktoons, Boomerang, Disney XD and Discovery Family are going the way of the dodo bird, and while people are allowed to prefer whatever they choose, the hard truth is that DiscFam and Universal Kids are two of the lowest rated channels on the dial currently, so hitching your wagon to them is akin to jumping aboard the Titanic.
W
Yes but in best scenario, it would be all re-run of Discovery shows, so no Hasbro contents after Hasbro leaves.

Well, it is your opinion but rating doesn't agree with you.

Nickelodeon - 335,000
Disney Junior - 258,000
Disney Channel - 233,000
Nick Jr. - 232,000
Cartoon Network - 201,000
Disney XD - 83,000
Boomerang - 77,000
Nicktoons - 67,000
Discovery Family - 43,000
TeenNick - 37,000
Universal Kids - 35,000

Let look at number of viewers and Discovery Family has 43,000 and it is very low number for Hasbro to maintain the business with Discovery Family, so Hasbro is done with DF for good as they went to streaming services and sometime, Nick for new Hasbro shows. Remember, TV channels are part of business and they need money to run, so they rely on ads and cable carriage for revenues. Have a channel with 43,000 viewers aren't going to help Hasbro to stay in business.

Exactly, that how I felt too but it is his opinion.
Well, I lost interest in Nick after Power Rangers moved to Netflix

Mod Note: Double Post Merged. Use Multi-Quote on the lower right of posts. Do not post twice or more in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:

FirePuppy

Warner Bros. Discovery is now born. But despite that, Discovery Family is STILL alive, and it still hasn't aired any new programs, either -- for 10 months straight!

Moe

Close the channel doesn't happen overnight and it take a lot of time, also as MVPD, they require a minimum of 90 days notification to TV providers and subscribers about whichever channel is closed. Other reason, Hasbro doesn't leave yet.

WB and Discovery didn't make a decision about fate of Discovery Family yet, so it is either replace with re-run of Discovery shows after Hasbro exits or close the channel entirely.

FirePuppy

Close the channel doesn't happen overnight and it take a lot of time, also as MVPD, they require a minimum of 90 days notification to TV providers and subscribers about whichever channel is closed. Other reason, Hasbro doesn't leave yet.

WB and Discovery didn't make a decision about fate of Discovery Family yet, so it is either replace with re-run of Discovery shows after Hasbro exits or close the channel entirely.
Well, I do know another thing. Nick GAS didn't have any new programs after 2003, and that channel didn't shut down until the end of 2007. And of course, its programming was fully automated during the last two years starting in late 2005. If the same can be done with Discovery Family, then so be it.

Sun Dash Note

A proud Brony! 20% cooler! Found out I'm Trans.
My Little Pony could hypothetically move to Cartoonito or Boomerang. Depends if Hasbro is still with them in 2022
Or maybe they could put that on Cartoon Network on daytime, with the Cartoonito Block being replaced with the new 'The Hub' block (with Cartoon Network logo showing up above it during the transition phase).
They could then rebrand Discovery Family to Cartoonito and move it's shows there (they could announce My Little Pony: Pony Life when the channel is still using the old name and when it actually airs, it changes name to Cartoonito). The first show to air during the daytime block 'The Hub' could be first series of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (from the beginning, with only 1 episode showing per day). They could also put that content on HBO Max and or the new streaming service.
They could negotiate that deal with Hasbro (Chris ***** is the new CEO btw), during the talks of what to do with stakes in Discovery Family and beyond. (Hasbro could sell their stake if that happens).

I'm still hopeful and optimistic. :)

Or maybe they could put that on Cartoon Network on daytime, with the Cartoonito Block being replaced with the new 'The Hub' block (with Cartoon Network logo showing up above it during the transition phase).
They could then rebrand Discovery Family to Cartoonito and move it's shows there (they could announce My Little Pony: Pony Life when the channel is still using the old name and when it actually airs, it changes name to Cartoonito). The first show to air during the daytime block 'The Hub' could be first series of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (from the beginning, with only 1 episode showing per day). They could also put that content on HBO Max and or the new streaming service.
They could negotiate that deal with Hasbro (Chris ***** is the new CEO btw), during the talks of what to do with stakes in Discovery Family and beyond. (Hasbro could sell their stake if that happens).

I'm still hopeful and optimistic. :)
Alright, his name got censored, that's his actual name I don't want to insult him.

AFAIK, the Italian Cartoonito aired MLP. So it would not be that weird.
Yea. And it could bring next bronies, as well as nostalgists. (the airing could remind a lot of people that the show exist)

I said this in the Discovery Buying Warner thread, but I can say it here too.

There's always the chance that Discovery Family continues as is with Discovery buying Warner , it's a rerun dumping channel and since DIY network is about to end (being replace with Magnolia network) and GAC being sold off they have programming they can just run on a loop on DF. Discovery doesn't seem to dislike networks that just sit there doing nothing but reruns all day like Destination America, Cooking Channel, Discovery Life (ironic) , Discovery Family, GAC (before it was sold to former Hallmark Channel guy), DIY network, AHC... so they might just status quo it until cable companies get tired of it.

Many of us are thinking they HAVE to do something with Discovery Family when they could just do nothing...

Though it would be fun they threw some CN shows on there once in a while or something.
I think good strategy could be putting this kids shows on Cartoon Network.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts