Who is the Most Hated Person in the History of the Animation Industry?

livingfruitvirus

No! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
The most misguided thing about their argument is that without viewers, Seth WOULDN'T be worth millions. It's not like Seth -forced- America to watch Family Guy and American Dad with a Clockwork Orange-style chair.

BTW, which writers were former lawyers? Just curious.

That'd be a pretty funny visual.

I should've said lawyers or went to law school. For example, Chris Sheridan and Steve Callaghan went to Yale. It's not uncommon in primetime TV writing. The Simpsons had an episode which mocked the Itchy and Scratchy writers for being "Harvard grads."

Frank

By 1958, movie revenues were dwindling thanks to TV, so H&B wanted to get a head start in the new medium. But since TV has a smaller budget than features, H&B -had- to work with less money. Whether they liked it or not, it was a necessity to find ways to work in the restrictive new environment. And to be perfectly fair, H&B probably weren't the 'pioneers'. Limited animation can be seen as far back as Chuck Jones's' "The Dover Boys" (which was excellent).

They were never the pioneers of Limited Animation nor did they make the first TV cartoon. That honor would go to Crusader Rabbit which was produced by Jay Ward in 1949.

Some of the techniques for limited animation, were used before in theatrical cartoons; like held cels for parts of the character's body was used before. Vehicles being moved on a single cel or frame has also been done in theatrical cartoons before.

Terrytoons apparently pioneered some of the techniques used in TV animation but of course they haven't been aired on TV in about 20 years.:(

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
I should've said lawyers or went to law school. For example, Chris Sheridan and Steve Callaghan went to Yale. It's not uncommon in primetime TV writing. The Simpsons had an episode which mocked the Itchy and Scratchy writers for being "Harvard grads."

The crack at Harvard grads is specifically because a lot of alumni friom the Harvard Lampoon go on to write for Saturday Night Live and other sitcoms. Conan O'Brien was a member, and there are a number of Simpsons writers and producers who were members as well. It's very much of an industry in-joke.

-- Ed

J. B. Warner

Increasing my wordiness
I always felt enforcing "rules" on animation was kinda silly.

Making rules for that makes about as much sense as making rules on how to make abstract art.

You can make rules for your own show or follow the rules of previous cartoonists, but I wouldn't cram my own principles down the throats of other animators who want to do something differently.

It's this line of thinking that's made me stop thinking of Seth MacFarlane as a no-talent hack, and actually caused me to recently think about finally going back and catching up on the post-renewal episodes of "Family Guy". I'll admit that what I saw of Season 4 wasn't what I expected, and it isn't how I'd write an animated sitcom, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to enjoy it for what it is.

And besides, I'm a cartoonist. If I don't like what I see, I can always satirize it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts