Why did CN bury The Mr. Men Show?

AnimatedFan01

The Mr. Men Show was a British-American cartoon adaptation of the Mr. Men and Little Miss series of books aimed at preschoolers. Cartoon Network acquired the rights to it in February 2008 and aired new episodes until November of 2009. It since vanished from the network and hasn't been seen since. However, it reran on Boomerang in 2013 for a brief while, though given its sudden departure a few months later, Turner may have lost the rights to it.

On CN it was only airing in the noon-1:30PM timeslot on weekdays, if not earlier in the morning, presumably so its target audience would get home just in time to see it. It aired on Saturdays at 6:00 AM just after Adult Swim ended, which would've been a bit too early for the audience to see it.

I'm assuming low ratings and viewership lead to its cancelation. I don't think any new episodes were still being produced by Renegade even in the UK by the time the show finished its American run on CN. The fact that it was a preschool cartoon picked up post-Tickle U seems to be an additional factor. While it wasn't outright toddler-catering and had many quirky elements for older audiences to enjoy, the saccharine feel was a bit too sugary to appeal to CN's regular demographic. I certainly don't think it could have fit in the primetime slot either since it was for preschoolers; Baby Looney Tunes, Land Before Time and A Pup Named Scooby Doo all received similar daytime slots. Newer episodes of the Mr. Men Show were given a Y7 rating, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was an attempt to boost viewership among the 6-11 crowd and get into primetime; too bad that failed.

Take your pick: loss of rights, low ratings, preschool show, or all of the above?

With Cartoonito now active, and TMMS having garnered a cult following post-cancelation, I wouldn't be too surprised if it suddenly rejoined the lineup. I'd welcome it back, since I was for some reason hooked on the show when I was seven; it was cute and funny, if a bit saccharine.

JMTV

I remember the Mr Men Show when I was a kid. I thought it was pretty fun.

Why did CN bury it? My guess is that the ratings weren't there and CN didn't show that much interest compared to Johnny Test and Total Drama. (Which is a shame since I think Mr Men Show was better than the other two, imo)

As for the Cartoonito thing? I think it's unlikely to aired it on Cartoonito since the show ended more than a decade ago, unless they do a massive reboot of the Mr Men franchise.. They can put it on HBO Max as a backup, I guess.

Silverstar

Gone But Not Forgotten
Reboot it and put the original on Boomerang/HBO Max.

Like @JMTV Studios said, there'd have to be a demand for it first (it's been over a decade and so far no one's been clamoring for it), plus Warner Bros. didn't produce The Mr. Men Show, they only aired it, so their rights to it have undoubtedly expired by now.

Goldstar Neo

Goofin' ain't easy!
I should probably also mention this: the show received virtually zero promotion and advertising during its run on CN.
Yeah, Cartoon Network is kind of notorious for not treating it's 3rd party shows very well. Transformers: Robots In Disguise and Justice League Action came and went with no encores and almost no promotion. JLA came on so early in the morning that I had to watch it 3 hours later on CN's West Coast feed (JLA isn't even currently available on HBO Max). It's particularly curious in this case since JLA was produced by Warner Brothers Animation. Now that CN has it's own functioning studio, most of the channel's programming is produced in house.

harry580

Yeah, Cartoon Network is kind of notorious for not treating it's 3rd party shows very well. Transformers: Robots In Disguise and Justice League Action came and went with no encores and almost no promotion. JLA came on so early in the morning that I had to watch it 3 hours later on CN's West Coast feed (JLA isn't even currently available on HBO Max). It's particularly curious in this case since JLA was produced by Warner Brothers Animation. Now that CN has it's own functioning studio, most of the channel's programming is produced in house.
I agreed, third party shows are the target to be mistreated by big kids networks

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
DeviantArt/Fanfiction.net level nonsense DOES NOT COUNT as demand for this to come back, unfortunately, especually when most people cery likely legit disliked it "for being trite and sacchirine trash". That's also taking into consideration how cute as some of it is to look at/read for people - only a small fraction of them clearly ever watched this show proper, let alone can say they ever liked it, too. Chances are watching it again some time later, they grew to dislike it because of what I've pointed out, hence likely why there is no demand for this show to come back anytime soon.

All of that is ignoring how much American networks, especially today, HATE (x3) third party shows. Unless you're on streaming, said type of show never gets treated well. Ever.

Silverstar

Gone But Not Forgotten
True, that wasn't made by Cartoon Network, but I saw it on Cartoon Network. If CN made any specific spots for The Mr. Men Show, I haven't seen them. The only other ad I remember was a dance number, "The Beat is Taking Over", which I saw on Boomerang.

AnimatedFan01

I think the fate of The Mr. Men Show can be equally attributed to that of Skunk Fu!. I don't remember seeing any advertisements for it, even though it was also airing new episodes on CN. Surprisingly enough, it managed to get a couple Nood bumpers. Impressive for an import that only lasted half a year. Mr. Men ran longer and didn't get any beside the Up Next bumper with Mr. Grumpy.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
In slightly tangential news, Mr. Coat just recently answered a viewer question asking what happened to the Mr. Men movie that was in development hell at Fox for over a decade.

Turns out Sanrio (the creators of Hello Kitty and Aggretsuko) currently own the rights to the property.

JMTV

In slightly tangential news, Mr. Coat just recently answered a viewer question asking what happened to the Mr. Men movie that was in development hell at Fox for over a decade.

Turns out Sanrio (the creators of Hello Kitty and Aggretsuko) currently own the rights to the property.
Huh, interesting.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Is this different from the 90’s show 4Kids syndicated?

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
The Mr Men characters are entertaining, but I was first introduced to them through early readers. I suppose a lot of other kids had the same books. This is just a hypothesis, but I’d say most kids over the age of 5 or 6 probably thought the show was for a younger audience, which resulted in poor ratings.

Sam the Cartoonist

As a kid who was still watching preschool shows even when I was long past the target audience, The Mr. Men appealed to me mostly because of its bright colors alongside the absurdist humor. I used to watch it on the CN website and YouTube though.

Markus Nelis

They buried it just like some other shows. They can't air everything at the same time. That would be complicated.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I guess 4Kids Entertainment skipped Tokyo Mew Mew's second half due to its darker and edgier content or the poor ratings of the first half.
Gonna be honest with you all: I don't feel safe living in this country right now.
I love my Nintendo Switch I got back in 2018, I've played an awful lot since I got it. I've played Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Pokemon: Legends Arceus and many more wonderful Nintendo titles over the years of when I got it. I've been a Nintendo fan since I got my first console purchase, The Nintendo GameCube, back in 2002.
Asa
I predict that the COVID-19 pandemic will end permanently by 2023.
I wonder why Mario Party 6 was the poorest selling MP Title, and the only one of the four Gamecube MP games not to break 2 million copies? What's surprising is Mario Party 7 sold better, despite being from the dying days of the GC. Did the microphone initially put people off (or raise the price)? Did Mario Party 7 get a boost from the early days of the Wii?

Featured Posts