Why did the UPN Kids TV block fail?

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Did the U.S. need six national private broadcast networks? Did it need six national broadcast children's blocks? Couple this with the rise of cable as well as home video and you have plenty of competition.

I shortly after this thread started, I came across this video.

"Unlike other failures of the time, like Fox Kids [...]"

I don't think so.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
  • UPN. Just... UPN.
  • They didn't wanna compete with Nickelodeon.
  • They already HAD Nickelodeon and yet did nothing to synergize.
  • Sunday mornings.

LinusFan303

Squeak
  • UPN. Just... UPN.
  • They didn't wanna compete with Nickelodeon.
  • They already HAD Nickelodeon and yet did nothing to synergize.
  • Sunday mornings.
I agree with UPN because it was UPN.
The rest though, they did talk with Nickelodeon later, nothing came from that, Sunday Mornings (also weekdays) isn't a bad thing per say, because everyone else is on Saturday, go where there's less competition. Also, some UPN stations aired Fox Kids , so they either cut off UPN Kids on weekdays or had that programming in the mornings, and they would have cut off a Saturday UPN kids for FOX kids.

Streaker Prower

The reason why UPN Kids Failed is because: It was on UPN, a Channel that nobody Knows and has Never Watched (Except for Star Trek Fans), if it was called Nickelodeon on UPN (which UPN and Nickelodeon were owned by the Same company) Then it would Be more successful (even if Nick on UPN would obviously air on Sundays due to some UPN Stations “Like the ones that would later be owned by Fox” aired the More Successful Fox Kids or Kids’ WB if the UPN Station “like WLWC” had a Secondary WB Affliation)

Last edited:

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Honestly, I'd never even heard of UPN Kids until last year.

I guess the reason why it failed was because it didn't have a strong catalog or impact compared to Warner, Disney, and even Fox.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts